Forum Home Forum Home > Chalfont St Peter > Memory Lane
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

CSP Families from yesteryear

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>
Author
Chalfont Oldie
Chalfont Oldie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hissing sid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 June 2015 at 8:05pm
Originally posted by Rich Kid Rich Kid wrote:

Originally posted by hissing sid hissing sid wrote:

Used to live in Orchard Grove, maybe?

I believe you're right. I've realised that one of the brothers was called Patrick not Christopher as I originally said, he used to run an insurance brokers office from one of the little cabins on the way down to GX rail station - who remembers them? They provided inexpensive accommodation to small businesses, one of which was a tailor who I used to alter some clothes.

Patrick is correct
One of the offices was also a Taxi control office and an estate agent plus an optician if I'm not mistaken. Then there was also the public conveyance on the other side of the road

Edited by hissing sid - 18 June 2015 at 8:13pm
Hissing Sid

It's a free country, adopt whatever PC stance you want. Just don't tell me which stance I should take just because it clashes with your opinion.

Sponsored Links

dot poleykett View Drop Down
Local
Local

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dot poleykett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 June 2015 at 8:58pm
I remember Roy Webb used to have one of the shops but i can't remember what the business was.
hissing sid View Drop Down
Chalfont Oldie
Chalfont Oldie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hissing sid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 June 2015 at 12:50am
I think Roy Web, may have had the cab business
Hissing Sid

It's a free country, adopt whatever PC stance you want. Just don't tell me which stance I should take just because it clashes with your opinion.

Rich Kid View Drop Down
Chalfont Snapper
Chalfont Snapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 June 2015 at 2:08pm
Roy Webb, (or was it his sister?) ran a greengrocers up on the common. She also ran a greengrocers shop in CSG just down from the bakery some years later.
I believe Roy Webb died some years ago, he was quite a hefty guy if my memory serves me well.
Local
Local

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dot poleykett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 June 2015 at 2:16pm
Mr and Mrs Webb senior had a greengrocers by The Handy Stores on Gold Hill, maybe Roy took it over when they retired.

s
hissing sid View Drop Down
Chalfont Oldie
Chalfont Oldie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hissing sid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 June 2015 at 2:25pm
Originally posted by dot poleykett dot poleykett wrote:

Mr and Mrs Webb senior had a greengrocers by The Handy Stores on Gold Hill, maybe Roy took it over when they retired.

s

When the Handy stores was rebuilt. Roy had the green grocery store, his father had the little knick-knack store next door, that was like around the corner. Later they knocked the two stores into one.
Later, the whole lot was made into one.
Hissing Sid

mrsk View Drop Down
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrsk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 June 2015 at 11:14pm
Peter St Ledger I'm told lived in Denham Lane.
Rich Kid View Drop Down
Chalfont Snapper
Chalfont Snapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 June 2015 at 6:40pm
Originally posted by mrsk mrsk wrote:

Peter St Ledger I'm told lived in Denham Lane.
That sounds right. Anyone ever know what happened to him?

Also in that area, the Phipps who ran the small shop on the opposite corner to what was Baileys. Didn't Mr Phipps run John's Cafe done near what is Tesco Express?
Local
Local

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dot poleykett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 June 2015 at 11:39pm
Where do i remember the name Johnny Butler from in connection
with Gravel Hill?
Local
Local

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dot poleykett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 June 2015 at 11:43pm
Sorry i forgot to ask where was Bails stores?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>