Forum Home Forum Home > Chalfont St Peter > Memory Lane
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Mystery of my dad

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Sandbox
Sandbox

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brenda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mystery of my dad
    Posted: 02 April 2014 at 1:27am
I believe that my father was at The Colony in Chalfont St Peter for several years in the late 1930s/early 1940s and am trying to prove it.
I know that as a child, my dad used to take me there on a Thursday in June for the Sports Day and meet up with all of his friends who were still there.
I am in contact with the Epilepsy Society and they are looking through their records.

I do have a Religious book with the inscription
"To Harry, in memory of your Confirmation Whitsunday 1942 and first Communion May 31st 1942, from Herbert J Hanasley"
My mum used to tell me that his friend was a part time organist at the Church, does anyone know if this is connected with Chalfont St Peter? The time is right, is the place right?
Thanks for any help
Brenda
Brenda
Sponsored Links

Bucks Fizz View Drop Down
Chalfontonian
Chalfontonian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bucks Fizz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 April 2014 at 7:02am
Hi Brenda,

I'm a local researcher and local history buff. I searched for the surname in the online index to CSP and Gerrards Cross street directories for 1940, which is as recent as they go online, but sadly no trace. Goggling doesn't bring up anything either. Hanasley is an unusual name though. You might want to trawl through family surnames and genealogy sites. Good luck.
hissing sid View Drop Down
Chalfont Oldie
Chalfont Oldie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hissing sid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 April 2014 at 11:59am
Originally posted by Brenda Brenda wrote:

I believe that my father was at The Colony in Chalfont St Peter for several years in the late 1930s/early 1940s and am trying to prove it.
I know that as a child, my dad used to take me there on a Thursday in June for the Sports Day and meet up with all of his friends who were still there.
I am in contact with the Epilepsy Society and they are looking through their records.

I do have a Religious book with the inscription
"To Harry, in memory of your Confirmation Whitsunday 1942 and first Communion May 31st 1942, from Herbert J Hanasley"
My mum used to tell me that his friend was a part time organist at the Church, does anyone know if this is connected with Chalfont St Peter? The time is right, is the place right?
Thanks for any help
Brenda

Sorry if I've missed this. But, what was his full name?

Hissing Sid

It's a free country, adopt whatever PC stance you want. Just don't tell me which stance I should take just because it clashes with your opinion.

Brenda View Drop Down
Sandbox
Sandbox

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brenda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 April 2014 at 10:24am
My dad's name was Harry (van der) Zant.

I just wondered if the church had any record of organists, and we might find Herbert J Hanasley that way.

Thanks
Brenda
Brenda
Brenda View Drop Down
Sandbox
Sandbox

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brenda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 April 2014 at 10:26am
Thanks Bucks Fizz
Brenda
Brenda View Drop Down
Sandbox
Sandbox

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brenda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 April 2014 at 11:15am
I have now found a Baptism certificate showing my dad's baptism at Chalfont St Peter Parish Church on May 23 1942, confirmed on 24th May 1942 and First Communion on 31st May 1942. My dad is shown as Harry Zant and the vicar as A C McKensie.
This all ties in with the Religious Book found earlier and helps prove that Chalfont St Peter was the church.
Brenda
 Post Reply Post Reply