Forum Home Forum Home > Chalfont St Peter > Memory Lane
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Cinema GX

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Chalfont Oldie
Chalfont Oldie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hissing sid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 April 2014 at 11:53pm
Playhouse, i thought
Hissing Sid

It's a free country, adopt whatever PC stance you want. Just don't tell me which stance I should take just because it clashes with your opinion.

Sponsored Links

Rich Kid View Drop Down
Chalfont Snapper
Chalfont Snapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2014 at 11:29am
Ah, the days of usherettes with torches telling you to get back to the front 1/6d seats! As well as the main film you had a 'B' film plus a newsreel - what a bargain!
Butterfly View Drop Down
Villager
Villager

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Butterfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2014 at 5:01pm
Yep - it was the Playhouse.
Intervals and a tub of icecream!!!

Rich Kid View Drop Down
Chalfont Snapper
Chalfont Snapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2014 at 7:33pm
As I remember it there was a separate programme on a Sunday.
big baggles View Drop Down
Chalfont Snapper
Chalfont Snapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote big baggles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2014 at 9:08am
WESTLERS....... IN THE FOYER NOW !!!!
need a stella and i need one now !
Rich Kid View Drop Down
Chalfont Snapper
Chalfont Snapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2014 at 11:23am
Originally posted by big baggles big baggles wrote:

WESTLERS....... IN THE FOYER NOW !!!!

How times change! Kia-Ora orange or a Lyons choc ice was the height of eating enjoyment back then!
Angie Pitts View Drop Down
Chalfont Snapper
Chalfont Snapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angie Pitts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2016 at 8:42am
I would love to see the old photos as my Aunty was cashier there for many years and her friends, Mr & Mrs Husted were the managers. They were originally from Belgium. It was great for me & my sister as on the Saturday matinees we would be led to the front of the long queue and let in early. I remember them saying that when the Bill Hayley film was shown there the Teddy Boys started ripping the cinema seats!

My mother also worked part time as an usherette and I remember her cycling home at night from Gerrards Cross and sometimes stopping off at the Chalfont chip shop at the bottom of the common and bringing us home hot chips which we ate in bed as a treat!

Angie Pitts (nee Soars)
oldchris View Drop Down
Chalfont Oracle
Chalfont Oracle

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldchris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2016 at 11:54am
So many memorys, every thing from Jaws onwards.Hotdogs, Kia-ora to cornetto's.
The local adverts were a good one to, Prince of india..Lol.

Edited by oldchris - 17 May 2016 at 11:56am
stop HS2.
hissing sid View Drop Down
Chalfont Oldie
Chalfont Oldie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hissing sid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2016 at 12:05pm
Originally posted by Angie Pitts Angie Pitts wrote:

I would love to see the old photos as my Aunty was cashier there for many years and her friends, Mr & Mrs Husted were the managers. They were originally from Belgium. It was great for me & my sister as on the Saturday matinees we would be led to the front of the long queue and let in early. I remember them saying that when the Bill Hayley film was shown there the Teddy Boys started ripping the cinema seats!

My mother also worked part time as an usherette and I remember her cycling home at night from Gerrards Cross and sometimes stopping off at the Chalfont chip shop at the bottom of the common and bringing us home hot chips which we ate in bed as a treat!

Brin Hardy's mother ( weedons close, Leachcroft) used to also be a cashier at the cinema

Hissing Sid

It's a free country, adopt whatever PC stance you want. Just don't tell me which stance I should take just because it clashes with your opinion.

rbonzo View Drop Down
Sandbox
Sandbox

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rbonzo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 July 2019 at 1:52pm
i remember going there in the 50,s and early 60,s it had 2 levels and the people from the upper level used to throw things onto the people below
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>