Forum Home Forum Home > Chalfont St Peter > Out & About
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Refurbished Ivy House

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Chalfontonian
Chalfontonian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EmmaO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Refurbished Ivy House
    Posted: 13 September 2013 at 8:28am
Went for a meal at the refurbished Ivy House, what a disappointment. The staff were really lovely but everything else was pretty poor. The refurb has taken every ounce of character the pub had and shoved it in the skip. I was shocked. It is now painted cream throughout, horrible,modern pictures of wine glasses/bottles/generic restaurant tripe, no open fires, no regulars sitting around the bar, no warmth about the place at all. The food whilst quite tasty was in the most miniscule portions possible, we complained and were given extra veg but really it was a joke, a portion of fish no bigger that a matchbox (although twice as thick) and I don't mean a large one and I'm not exaggerating, and a tiny portion of new potatoes moulded into a circle and 5 pieces of chorizo and some gloop, £17???. The Old Ivy house needed some sprucing and a menu revamp (having eaten there many, many times before) but this is dreadful and the menu is less inspiring than it had become before, eight mains (I think) three of which were fish and chips, bangers and mash and steak and chips. Such a terrible shame, no wonder they've not updated their website to show the new interior, it's like an act of vandalism, in my humble opinion!
Sponsored Links

Butterfly View Drop Down
Villager
Villager

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Butterfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 September 2013 at 10:09am
That explains the recent lack of cars outside.  What a shame. Cry
phisch21 View Drop Down
Chalfont Oracle
Chalfont Oracle

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote phisch21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 September 2013 at 12:19pm
there are no decent pubs in CSP or GX any more. And no decent cafes either
foodfrom4.com
hissing sid View Drop Down
Chalfont Oldie
Chalfont Oldie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hissing sid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 September 2013 at 12:35pm
I used to go in there, when it was owned by two brothers and a sister. One of the brothers, used to have a few cattle on the other side of the road. He wasn't to involved with the pub.
I think one of the brothers was named Dorry, I can't remember the other names.

Edited by hissing sid - 13 September 2013 at 2:27pm
Hissing Sid

It's a free country, adopt whatever PC stance you want. Just don't tell me which stance I should take just because it clashes with your opinion.

EmmaO View Drop Down
Chalfontonian
Chalfontonian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EmmaO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 September 2013 at 3:03pm
Well I know it is all personal taste but I can't agree there are no decent pubs or cafes. The Greyhound was in the Mail this week as it's included in the god pub guide, The Oaks is nice for a good meal, I like Metro Piazza for a relaxed family meal, Crumbs is excellent and Madiera is pretty good too, particularly for breakfast. The Apple Tree can be hit or miss but generally it's a nice enough place. The White Hart is a proper old boozer too.
phisch21 View Drop Down
Chalfont Oracle
Chalfont Oracle

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phisch21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 September 2013 at 3:09pm
Hmm not sure being in the Daily Mail is something to rave about
The Greyhound is OK but nowhere nice to sit outside. The Oaks is not really a pub any more. it's a restaurant - and a pretty pricey one at that. Same goes for the Apple Tree. Crumbs is just awful - cheap tables and chairs, no character. White Hart is ok for watching the footy

foodfrom4.com
EmmaO View Drop Down
Chalfontonian
Chalfontonian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EmmaO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 September 2013 at 4:25pm
Funny! No you're right being in the Mail isn't anything to rave about but being in the Good Pub Guide is :) Crumbs food is good though even if you don't like the tables and the people are really nice in there although I do miss Buzcu.....
Nessun Dorma View Drop Down
Villager
Villager

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nessun Dorma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 September 2013 at 10:23pm
We went in there a few years ago and as vegetarians we had very little choice on the menu. It was vegetable lasagne or a fish dish. Yes....fish. Disapprove We pointed out that although they had made a note on the menu that the fish dishes were vegetarian, they were not really suitable for vegetarians. The waiter got very defensive and tried to argue that his girlfriemnd was a vegetarian and she eats fish (thereby implying that because she eats fish, fish must be vegetarian) and that, although we had been vegetarians for thirty years, we didn't know what we were talking about. We left without ordering and never went back.
timo_w2s View Drop Down
Chalfontonian
Chalfontonian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timo_w2s Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 September 2013 at 4:13pm
We went for Sunday lunch at the new Ivy House. They had run out of roast chicken so I had the beef. It was pretty tasty although the meat was a bit tough, as beef sometimes is. The portions were decent for the Sunday roast. Staff were very friendly and polite but service was a bit slow however it was fairly busy today.

Could have done with a fire as it was a bit cool in there with this dull weather. I agree that the character was a bit lacking, but it did feel bright and clean. Will probably go back sometime.

Who is General Failure and why's he reading my hard disk?
Walrus View Drop Down
Chalfontonian
Chalfontonian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Walrus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 September 2013 at 6:36pm
How much was a roast?
Is back in the game! :)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>