Forum Home Forum Home > Chalfont St Peter > Memory Lane
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Names from the Past ....

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 89101112 15>
Author
Villager
Villager

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chilternman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 April 2017 at 12:48pm
I worked at the garage between 1978 and 1989 so at the end of the John Cafe era but still remember going daily for a dog roll etc with Pearl and Rube, can't remember now which one was married to John, and I went to school with their son John and his sister Jennifer. As far as I am aware Aubrey is still working the Taylor farm although I haven't actually seen him recently but there's still plenty of stock on the land.
Sponsored Links

IanP View Drop Down
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IanP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 April 2017 at 1:15pm
Thanks for the heads up on the farm nice to know its still in the family I'm going back to 69 / 70 so before your time I'm afraid, still be nice to know what happened to the girls Margie and Libby Aubrey should know I guess thanks again 
dot poleykett View Drop Down
Local
Local

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dot poleykett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 April 2017 at 11:00pm
I remember the Taylor family well as I lived at Gravel
Hill in Dean acre Cottages.
I seem to remember a place at or near the back of the cottages where you could buy lemonade and jugged beer they had an old well in the garden. I know it's a long time ago but does anyone else remember
IanP View Drop Down
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IanP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 April 2017 at 10:58am
That has reminded me of the character of Gravel Hill back in the day (1969 -1970) which on my last visit has all but disappeared  I hardly recognised the place, I didn't really get to see the cottage, what I remember when I used to drop Margie home was her walking up the footpath surrounded by overhanging shrubs, trees turning round giving me a wave and disappearing into the house. I remember she worked at Boots in Gerrards Cross which is where my daughter now lives, how well did you know the Taylors Dot, they seemed a close family, I have many happy memories of those times.      
dot poleykett View Drop Down
Local
Local

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dot poleykett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 April 2017 at 11:23pm
Hi Ian-i am going back to late 40s early 50s
I remember Masie Taylor best as my Mum
Used to make clothes for her. My Dad used to help Jack out at times and our families were good friends.
I left Gravel Hill about 1952 to move to Leach Croft where I lived until we got married in 1969.
We were in Chalfont last week visiting the old haunts
Old Chalfont has gone but i still have my memoriesOld Chalfont has gone
IanP View Drop Down
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IanP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 April 2017 at 9:46am
Hi Dot, Happy Easter.Thank you so much for giving substance to my enduring and happy memories of Chalfont in the time I spent going there and the surrounding area when seeing Margie (probably a lot to do with her). I guess Maisie's daughters Margie and Libby were born after you left would have been 53/54, I didn't know the sons Aubrey and John so don't know whether they were around when you were living there. I cant imagine how surprised you must have been when you went there recently, I was pretty shocked and a bit confused when I went to Gravel Hill for a nose a few weeks ago when visiting my daughter at Gerrards Cross. Thank you as well Chiltern Man for your memories, If you see Aubrey could you please ask after his sisters for me they will be in their sixties now but still a couple of years younger than me.  All the best and keep in touch, Regards Ian (ex Borehamwood boy)  Smile
hissing sid View Drop Down
Chalfont Oldie
Chalfont Oldie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hissing sid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 April 2017 at 8:46pm
Originally posted by dot poleykett dot poleykett wrote:

I remember the Taylor family well as I lived at Gravel
Hill in Dean acre Cottages.
I seem to remember a place at or near the back of the cottages where you could buy lemonade and jugged beer they had an old well in the garden. I know it's a long time ago but does anyone else remember

I believe that was also something to do with the Taylor's. I can't remember the name, but another lady lived there with them. If I'm not mistaken, she was the one who sold the beer and lemonade.
Do you remember the wooden " Frankling" sign outside?
Hissing Sid

It's a free country, adopt whatever PC stance you want. Just don't tell me which stance I should take just because it clashes with your opinion.

IanP View Drop Down
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IanP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 April 2017 at 4:25pm
It sounds like they were a very industries family, I don't remember a wooden franklin sign but then my memories not that good. What happened to the cottages, is that where the chalet style bungalow is, the one set back off the road ? Does anyone know what happened to the Taylor's son John, I guess he must be retired now.        
Garry View Drop Down
Villager
Villager

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Garry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 April 2017 at 6:44am
I have messaged you IanP
libbyh View Drop Down
Sandbox
Sandbox

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote libbyh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 April 2017 at 4:30pm
Hi Ian , it's Libby from the Taylor's. I heard that you were talking about the old times and that we were mentioned. Just thought I'd send a message to say hello and let you know how it's all going. I'm still local and Margie has been living in Mallorca for the past 45 years. Johnny passed away 11 years ago, Aubrey has still got the farm,our eldest sister Tish is still in Chalfont and our youngest Mark is in Middlesex. Chalfont has definitely changed!! Take care , Libby.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 89101112 15>