Forum Home Forum Home > Chalfont St Peter > Holy Cross Development
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Holy Cross NSE Development

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 10>
Poll Question: Should the 'village' carry on the legal fight against the development
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
31 [77.50%]
9 [22.50%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Villager
Villager

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nessun Dorma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 August 2013 at 10:23pm
Originally posted by big baggles big baggles wrote:

do tell me why ?

Your post was implying that, because the Academy had to turn children away, it was due to there not being enough school places, but your next statement was saying that other schools have places. Ergo, the two assertions were "non sequitur."

Sponsored Links

big baggles View Drop Down
Chalfont Snapper
Chalfont Snapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote big baggles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 August 2013 at 4:03pm
Originally posted by Nessun Dorma Nessun Dorma wrote:

mr underwood ( head of the middle school) talked about turning down approx 40 students a year who request a place in the academy....

robertswood may have capacity now...... but when you build several hundred homes the chances are there will be some offspring who in turn will need school places- so lets say that takes up the shortfall in robertswood and fills the places there.... so where do the rest go ?- we ship them tilehouse school ??

i understand the reputation of robertswood is better than that of tilehouse too.....so the places will be in demand 

Those two statements are incongruous; they are non sequitur.

dont know what your are  questioning Nessun..., - Mr underwood stated he turns down about 40  requests for school places at the academy- fact... he stated this infront of the community centre full of people at the recent meeting regarding holy cross development.... roberstwood school may have places at the moment,  as stated also by watsy in his post.....
what is non sequitur...... they are two different school, one is maybe oversubscribed and turning applications down, the other may have places.....simple fact
add a large number of new properties into the village and as my posting states there is likely to be some additional offspring who reside in CSP- they will need  a school place... so they may fill the vacancies in robertswood , but what happens after that....
need a stella and i need one now !
Chalfont Snapper
Chalfont Snapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote big baggles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 August 2013 at 4:07pm

do tell me why ?

Your post was implying that, because the Academy had to turn children away, it was due to there not being enough school places, but your next statement was saying that other schools have places. Ergo, the two assertions were "non sequitur."

these are your assertions, that are non sequitur
these are two seperate schools- one may be over subscribed one may have vacancies- but add the number of children to the village on a new development of hundreds of dwellings and the result will be the same, not enough school places in the village
Nessun Dorma View Drop Down
Villager
Villager

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nessun Dorma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 August 2013 at 9:31pm
The objection being proffered is that there are not enough places in the schools we have right now. It has been a running theme on this thread and is a fallacy. 

Yes, they are separate schools, but the numbers quoted by Underwood are not relevant to total school capacity for Chalfont Saint Peter.
dickybird View Drop Down
Villager
Villager

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dickybird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 August 2013 at 12:02am
Nessun, you clearly do not support the fight that the Parish Council and SENSE have undertaken on behalf of our village. Am i to understand that you support the change of land use from educational to residential? Are you actually happy to allow the green lung that we have in the very centre of our village to be converted into a huge housing development? You seem to suggest that you share the opinion of store owners in the village in that you support development in CSP, but you are missing the point here, i am afraid. You are completely mistaken in thinking that the Parish Council and SENSE's fight is against development in the village. Everybody can see the need for development and progress. Nobody wants our village to stagnate and to see more shops close, but sensibly, we can surely all agree that the development that does take place needs to benefit our village, and our villagers, rather than just the pockets of a property developer. May i suggest that you clarify for yourself what our Parish Council is fighting for and then perhaps you will not feel as negative? Both our Parish Council and SENSE are hard working volunteers who campaign tirelessly and selflessly for the benefit of our village, fighting against all sorts of over-sized and inappropriate developments being forced on us. I am grateful that they are out there doing something, rather than just on here moaning ...

Edited by dickybird - 24 August 2013 at 12:26am
Villager
Villager

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nessun Dorma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 August 2013 at 12:40pm
Originally posted by dickybird dickybird wrote:

Nessun, you clearly do not support the fight that the Parish Council and SENSE have undertaken on behalf of our village. Am i to understand that you support the change of land use from educational to residential? Are you actually happy to allow the green lung that we have in the very centre of our village to be converted into a huge housing development? You seem to suggest that you share the opinion of store owners in the village in that you support development in CSP, but you are missing the point here, i am afraid. You are completely mistaken in thinking that the Parish Council and SENSE's fight is against development in the village. Everybody can see the need for development and progress. Nobody wants our village to stagnate and to see more shops close, but sensibly, we can surely all agree that the development that does take place needs to benefit our village, and our villagers, rather than just the pockets of a property developer. May i suggest that you clarify for yourself what our Parish Council is fighting for and then perhaps you will not feel as negative? Both our Parish Council and SENSE are hard working volunteers who campaign tirelessly and selflessly for the benefit of our village, fighting against all sorts of over-sized and inappropriate developments being forced on us. I am grateful that they are out there doing something, rather than just on here moaning ...

You assume an awful lot, don't you. Perhaps it would have been more appropriate, if you had asked sensible and relevant questions, rather than make me out to be some kind of evil interloper in your quest.

But, to respond to your outburst, I will agree, I am not exactly very keen on the so-called fight that has been waged in my name. What many of the objectors seem to forget is that the village consists of about thirteen thousand people, many of whom do not agree with the parish council's stance on this development. Many have children who want to remain in the community where they were born and raised and want at least some opportunity to live here.

A great many of the employees, of the businesses that keep our village alive, are fed up with having to commute from Uxbridge, Slough and Rickmansworth. If the employers cannot afford to pay their employees well enough for them to afford to pay the bus fares, they are not going to be able to employ them. But that won't matter, because if this development doesn't go ahead, the traders in the village might not be here much longer anyway.

Edited by Nessun Dorma - 24 August 2013 at 12:45pm
Chalfont Snapper
Chalfont Snapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote big baggles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 August 2013 at 9:42pm

The objection being proffered is that there are not enough places in the schools we have right now. It has been a running theme on this thread and is a fallacy. 

Yes, they are separate schools, but the numbers quoted by Underwood are not relevant to total school capacity for Chalfont Saint Peter.

what dont you understand nessun dorma ? ,do we have masses of empty places in the schools ready for children who will reside in the proposed new development  at the grange ? 

the middle school is full to bursting now....

the numbers quoted by underwood are 100% relevant to school capacity in CSP - he is a headmaster of a school in CSP he is currently turning away applicants for places at his school-  

i now know that there are some places vacant at robertswood AT THIS CURRENT TIME, 
but what about first school places too,  where do you honestly think the influx of extra children to the proposed new development will be educated? 

you state the objection being proffered is there isnt enough school places in CSP right now- you also state that is the running theme in this thread.....that's your conclusion......

the running theme is where are the residents of the proposed holy cross development going to sent their kids to school? 
what happens when all places at robertswood are taken? - do they build extra classrooms onto the school? 
does the academy put a few potacabins in the playground to accomodate extra children?

-      please tell us that nessun dorma where will the children of new residents go to school ?

i hear  gayhurst school and thorpe house have a few spaces,  lets hope the future residents  of the grange development are factoring in private school costs - because current school provision will be inadequate to cope with the extra load placed upon it...

Villager
Villager

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nessun Dorma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 August 2013 at 4:28pm

what dont you understand nessun dorma ? ,do we have masses of empty places in the schools ready for children who will reside in the proposed new development  at the grange ? 

the middle school is full to bursting now....

the numbers quoted by underwood are 100% relevant to school capacity in CSP - he is a headmaster of a school in CSP he is currently turning away applicants for places at his school-  

i now know that there are some places vacant at robertswood AT THIS CURRENT TIME, 
but what about first school places too,  where do you honestly think the influx of extra children to the proposed new development will be educated? 

you state the objection being proffered is there isnt enough school places in CSP right now- you also state that is the running theme in this thread.....that's your conclusion......

the running theme is where are the residents of the proposed holy cross development going to sent their kids to school? 
what happens when all places at robertswood are taken? - do they build extra classrooms onto the school? 
does the academy put a few potacabins in the playground to accomodate extra children?

-      please tell us that nessun dorma where will the children of new residents go to school ?

i hear  gayhurst school and thorpe house have a few spaces,  lets hope the future residents  of the grange development are factoring in private school costs - because current school provision will be inadequate to cope with the extra load placed upon it...

I think you may have been a victim of some misdirection here. Just because the junior school is turning applicants away, does not mean that the schools of Chalfont Saint Peter and the surrounding area are full to bursting, neither is it proof that they will be in the future, regardless of what might happen. All that tells us is that more parents want to their children to go to Chalfont Saint Peter Academy, than any other school in the area. 

There is quite a bit of capacity in infant schools in the area. Jordans, for example, is getting very worried about their future, due to falling numbers; in some lessons, they are having to combine classes and year groups, just to make up the numbers. Chalfont Saint Giles infant school has some, if limited, space. We have already established, in previous conversations, Gerrards Cross and Saint Joseph's have space as well. It is not possible to tell what pressures are placed on our local schools when the development goes ahead, but you cannot extrapolate the numbers based on an inaccurate premise.

As far as the private schools in the area can be considered, they can't be ignored. It is a given that, at the very least, a small percentage of residents are likely to send their children to the independent schools.

ETA:

Let's not forget slightly further afield; Seer Green Primary School, they also have places available, in both Key Stage one and Key Stage two. Coleshill Infant School is also struggling to maintain numbers; from what I understand, they are in a worse position than Jordans.

Edited by Nessun Dorma - 26 August 2013 at 4:46pm
hissing sid View Drop Down
Chalfont Oldie
Chalfont Oldie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hissing sid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 August 2013 at 8:30pm
I was born and went to school in Chalfont st. Peter.  I walked to school and back, in all weathers. Why on earth should children now be carted to Jordans, Sear green, Coleshill or Denham. What if the Family has no car or 1 car that the father is using to get too and from work.

Hissing Sid

It's a free country, adopt whatever PC stance you want. Just don't tell me which stance I should take just because it clashes with your opinion.

Villager
Villager

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nessun Dorma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 August 2013 at 8:45pm
Originally posted by hissing sid hissing sid wrote:

I was born and went to school in Chalfont st. Peter.  I walked to school and back, in all weathers. Why on earth should children now be carted to Jordans, Sear green, Coleshill or Denham. What if the Family has no car or 1 car that the father is using to get too and from work.
As I have been reminded, on a few occassions, no one has a "right to live anywhere." Surely that extends to, "no one has a right to go to school anywhere." I am pretty sure the people who want to move to Chalfont Saint Peter will consider the distance they need to travel to school.  I can guarantee that if you took a census of those who are driven to and from school now, the average distance is quite short; a lot shorter than walking distance. Coleshill, Jordans and Seer Green are not very far away.

P.S. I never mentioned Denham.

Edited by Nessun Dorma - 26 August 2013 at 8:45pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 10>