Forum Home Forum Home > Chalfont St Peter > News and Gossip
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Horses on Cycle Path

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Villager
Villager

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nessun Dorma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Horses on Cycle Path
    Posted: 08 August 2013 at 4:35pm

I have just returned from a walk along the cycle/footpath on Narcot Lane. I took my sister and her two young children out for the afternoon. We unfortunately had to turn back before we reached Saint Giles. We were blocked by a "wall" of horse droppings, at the point where the path is raised above the road. This made it impossible to negotiate with a baby in a buggy and a toddler on a tricycle. The road was too heavy with fast moving traffic to risk walking down the bank, with the buggy etc. On the return journey, we were confronted by two riders on very large horses. The toddler had ridden on a little way ahead and had stopped in front of the horses. We arrived a few seconds later, to hear one of the riders, a woman in her middle years (approx. fifty), chastising a two year girl about being in the way of the horses. 

I challenged the woman about being on the path and she tried to convince me that she had every right to be there and a child should not be allowed to ride a tricycle on the path where horses ride; yes, she actaully said this, whilst sitting on her horse, on a cycle path.

I explained to her that it was in contravention of the highways act, to ride, lead or allow or horse on a footpath or cycle path. What happened next, defied all sense and logic. She let out stream of foul mouthed abuse and threats that would have shocked even the most hardened squaddie. She then began to push her horse through myself, my sister, her two year old daughter and the baby in the buggy. Saying that people like my sister should be put down at birth.

What wonderful people we seem to breed in Chalfont. Angry
Sponsored Links

oldchris View Drop Down
Chalfont Oracle
Chalfont Oracle

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldchris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 August 2013 at 5:11pm
Well, what can you say about people like this.
stop HS2.
Dave-R View Drop Down
Chalfont Star
Chalfont Star

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave-R Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 August 2013 at 6:34pm
Wow i cant believe we agree on something, the conduct of some, not all, horse riders round here is a disgrace. Droppings everywhere, not acknowledging drivers who slow down etc etc. Ive also heard of them being foul mouthed, a friend was told to "slow the f**k down" even though she was doing 10 mph UNDER the speed limit at the time!
timo_w2s View Drop Down
Chalfontonian
Chalfontonian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timo_w2s Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 August 2013 at 8:14pm
I seem to remember there where a number of complaints about horses fouling the cycle path in the CSG Newsletter a few years ago.
Who is General Failure and why's he reading my hard disk?
Nessun Dorma View Drop Down
Villager
Villager

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nessun Dorma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 August 2013 at 9:47pm
This woman was wearing a hi-vis vest, with Hodgemoor Riding Association on the back. I have contacted the association and I am awaiting a reply.
Libtek View Drop Down
Villager
Villager

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Libtek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 August 2013 at 8:40am
You have my sympathies. I was sworn at by a rider along Bottrells lane after i stopped to let her through, because i didn't pull my car in to the side of the road enough for her liking. I was practically in the next field!! There must be some nice, sensible riders but unfortunately I've not met one yet
Weekends are a bit like rainbows. They look good from a distance but disappear when you get up close to them.
phisch21 View Drop Down
Chalfont Oracle
Chalfont Oracle

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phisch21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 August 2013 at 4:34pm
It is interesting that dog owners can be fined for not picking up, but it's perfectly OK for riders to let their horses do their business anywhere they like and leave it
foodfrom4.com
hissing sid View Drop Down
Chalfont Oldie
Chalfont Oldie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hissing sid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 August 2013 at 6:03pm
You are right. However, I think the dog poop is more of a health issue. I know dog poop is poisonous to the ground. But, think there's something about it can also cause blindness.

Hissing Sid

It's a free country, adopt whatever PC stance you want. Just don't tell me which stance I should take just because it clashes with your opinion.

Dave-R View Drop Down
Chalfont Star
Chalfont Star

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave-R Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 August 2013 at 6:16pm
Yeh it can, especially to children. Im not sure of the science or reasons behind it but you re right.
Sweet Pea View Drop Down
Local
Local

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sweet Pea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 August 2013 at 10:41pm
Lie in wait for this rider and then blow up a paper bag and burst it just as her horse trots by........
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>