Forum Home Forum Home > Chalfont St Peter > Holy Cross Development
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

and house values in Chalfont St Peter

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Villager
Villager

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Number42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: and house values in Chalfont St Peter
    Posted: 22 July 2013 at 12:05pm
There's a leaflet being delivered to every household about the appeal and a public meeting on 29th July. 8pm at the Community Centre.

Am I alone in thinking that house values in the village will fall if, at one stroke, we build 200+ new houses at high density, out of keeping with the existing styles, making the existing over-crowded school even more over-crowded?

As compared with the alternative plan to move the school to Holy Cross and gain some great new facilities for the school and for the community in general - as well as (far fewer)new houses.

I realise this has been debated at some length for some time, but it is now coming down to that choice - IF we have a choice at all!
That's the answer - what's the question?
Sponsored Links

watsy View Drop Down
Chalfont Admin
Chalfont Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote watsy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 July 2013 at 12:28pm
With regards the school - Robertswood I believe still has plenty of space left in it - a lot of the pupils come from outside CSP and is a good school. I only mention this as you say the academy is over crowded - cut the capacity and move some to Robertswood?

House prices won't fall in this area if you build another 1,000 houses. Besides it would be handy to have some younger people who can afford houses in the village - give life back to our pubs, social clubs, leisure pastimes and community.

Out of interest, does anyone know how much the legal bill and alternative options cost is so far?
Dreamland if you think developers will give up their houses for alternative less profitable options now the courts have given these verdicts.

Edited by watsy - 22 July 2013 at 12:28pm
Malc London View Drop Down
Chalfont Snapper
Chalfont Snapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Malc London Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 July 2013 at 1:10pm
One problem is that if you build 200 houses, you need to allow parking for 500 cars at least, and I bet that's not in the plans.

High Density building also causes friction, so you can expect a lot more anti-social behaviour.

People wonder how 1968/69 was allowed to happen in the village and the construction of that eyesore called the Precinct. People will be asking the same thing over this development in years to come.

It's profit at all costs, and to hell with the community that's left picking up the pieces.

Not sure why Watsy thinks the buyers will be younger people. I suspect many will be established families moving in from other areas, probably renting from housing associations who will snap up the development. UNLESS, Chiltern do what Hillingdon did recently, and say that you had to be a resident in the borough for 10 years and a first time buyer in order to buy the property. But I can't see the developers agreeing to that, especially since they already have the green light from Chiltern District Council.

EmmaO View Drop Down
Chalfontonian
Chalfontonian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EmmaO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 July 2013 at 1:18pm
I really don't know although I suspect that house prices won't be drastically affected after a conversation I had last year with a local estate agent who feels that due to the size/character of the houses to be built they will have limited impact on the current, established housing stock and that the village is so sought after they feel that prices won't drop sharply. We shall see! I can't pretend that it doesn't worry me having bought just before the house market crashed!!

Robertswood, I'm not sure. I went to look around it this year while making choices for my daughter and it felt like it was bursting at the seams too, although not to quite the same extent as the academy. Two 'classrooms' were actually marquees. I do think despite this both the village schools are excellent and it's a credit to the staff that they can operate in such tough conditions. Generally I think additional schooling would be a great benefit and if all these new houses are built a definite requirement.

Overall I favour the second proposal but I too think we are loosing the battle. Still am happy to pay into the pot and carry on, as they say, it's not over until!!!!
watsy View Drop Down
Chalfont Admin
Chalfont Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote watsy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 July 2013 at 1:31pm
Malc, I didn't say that buyers will be younger - I said it would be handy to have more in the village. Even at 'affordable' prices they are way out of reach of most people in their 20's.
Robertswood's catchment is way outside this village - Denham, Maple Cross etc so reducing their catchment will increase capacity in the village.
EmmaO View Drop Down
Chalfontonian
Chalfontonian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EmmaO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 July 2013 at 1:47pm
Yes true enough, it is a big catchment. I suppose there could be a problem as to which school children from the current catchment would attend maybe? I don't really know as I wasn't brought up in the village so not entirely sure of what is available further afield.
Number42 View Drop Down
Villager
Villager

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Number42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 July 2013 at 8:56am
Hopefully those questions and many others will be asked/answered at the meeting next Monday.
That's the answer - what's the question?
big baggles View Drop Down
Chalfont Snapper
Chalfont Snapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote big baggles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 August 2013 at 10:51am
well what was the outcome from monday's meeting?- my wife went as i was working away from CSP, she said there was a good turn out but she also made the observation  that there was very few people representing the younger generation attending...?

so what were the key points that came from mondays meeting ?

Edited by big baggles - 01 August 2013 at 10:52am
need a stella and i need one now !
EmmaO View Drop Down
Chalfontonian
Chalfontonian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EmmaO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 August 2013 at 11:48am
Probably the issue for the younger ones (ish!!) is child care and work, I couldn't get there as my husband didn't get back from work till gone 9 and I couldn't get a sitter. Most of my friends rarely see their husbands before 8 on a work night sadly. What did happen at the meeting?
Nessun Dorma View Drop Down
Villager
Villager

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nessun Dorma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 August 2013 at 12:43pm
Originally posted by Number42 Number42 wrote:

There's a leaflet being delivered to every household about the appeal and a public meeting on 29th July. 8pm at the Community Centre.

Am I alone in thinking that house values in the village will fall if, at one stroke, we build 200+ new houses at high density, out of keeping with the existing styles, making the existing over-crowded school even more over-crowded?

As compared with the alternative plan to move the school to Holy Cross and gain some great new facilities for the school and for the community in general - as well as (far fewer)new houses.

I realise this has been debated at some length for some time, but it is now coming down to that choice - IF we have a choice at all!
Sounds like an excellent idea to me. Then at least my children will have, at least, a fighting chance of having somewhere to live.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>