Forum Home Forum Home > Chalfont St Peter > News and Gossip
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Chalfont fuel prices

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Villager
Villager

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Garry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Chalfont fuel prices
    Posted: 16 April 2013 at 12:44pm
I wonder why the Tesco garage at Gravel Hill, CSP and the BP garage at GX are 5p a litre dearer than say Holtspur or Beaconsfield.
That equates to roughly 25p a gallon more expensive than elsewhere, and what with one of them being Tesco of all business, I thought they would have lead from the front and be one of the cheapest, obviously not, no excuses, definately refuel out of Chalfont and GX for now, just can't beleive they are so blatently ripping people off.
Sponsored Links

oldchris View Drop Down
Chalfont Oracle
Chalfont Oracle

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldchris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 April 2013 at 2:42pm
rich area, esp GX.

Edited by oldchris - 16 April 2013 at 2:49pm
stop HS2.
phisch21 View Drop Down
Chalfont Oracle
Chalfont Oracle

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phisch21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 April 2013 at 2:54pm
I never understand the variations. The Esso in Holtspur is relatively cheap, but drive 1/2 a mile towards Beaconsfield and the BP on the right hand side is several pence per litre more expensive. The two petrol stations opposite one another as you come into Chesham also have different prices.
hissing sid View Drop Down
Chalfont Oldie
Chalfont Oldie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hissing sid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 April 2013 at 3:14pm
If you go to Sainsbury's, potatoes are one price, bread is another. Go to Tesco's, both are diffrent prices. The same probably in Waitrose, Budgens or wherever. Why wouldn't it be the same with petrol?
It's not only in the area of Chalfont st Peter, it's the same in the USA & Canada.
It's the same when you go to Sainsbury's and buy petrol that is probably cheaper. Then you get a coupon and save on grocerys. How does that work? It's the same over here.
One chain of stores in the USA, does it the other way. Buy grocerys then save 10% on gas (petrol). There gas is usually cheaper than anybody else around in the first place.

Edited by hissing sid - 16 April 2013 at 3:18pm
Hissing Sid

It's a free country, adopt whatever PC stance you want. Just don't tell me which stance I should take just because it clashes with your opinion.

Garry View Drop Down
Villager
Villager

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Garry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 April 2013 at 3:22pm
I was'nt really moaning about the prices just being different, the point was the amount of difference,5p a litre, and the difference between Holtspur and Beanconsfield was only 1p
Nessun Dorma View Drop Down
Villager
Villager

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nessun Dorma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 April 2013 at 6:04pm
Originally posted by Garry Garry wrote:

I wonder why the Tesco garage at Gravel Hill, CSP and the BP garage at GX are 5p a litre dearer than say Holtspur or Beaconsfield.
That equates to roughly 25p a gallon more expensive than elsewhere, and what with one of them being Tesco of all business, I thought they would have lead from the front and be one of the cheapest, obviously not, no excuses, definately refuel out of Chalfont and GX for now, just can't beleive they are so blatently ripping people off.
The BP at Beaconsfield is often more expensive than Gerrards Cross.
Villager
Villager

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nessun Dorma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 April 2013 at 6:32pm
Originally posted by phisch21 phisch21 wrote:

I never understand the variations. The Esso in Holtspur is relatively cheap, but drive 1/2 a mile towards Beaconsfield and the BP on the right hand side is several pence per litre more expensive. The two petrol stations opposite one another as you come into Chesham also have different prices.

Also the the two at Tatling End are often a penny apart in pricing. A bit like the ones in Mill End as well. 
Villager
Villager

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nessun Dorma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 April 2013 at 6:34pm
Originally posted by hissing sid hissing sid wrote:

If you go to Sainsbury's, potatoes are one price, bread is another. Go to Tesco's, both are diffrent prices. The same probably in Waitrose, Budgens or wherever. Why wouldn't it be the same with petrol?
It's not only in the area of Chalfont st Peter, it's the same in the USA & Canada.
It's the same when you go to Sainsbury's and buy petrol that is probably cheaper. Then you get a coupon and save on grocerys. How does that work? It's the same over here.
One chain of stores in the USA, does it the other way. Buy grocerys then save 10% on gas (petrol). There gas is usually cheaper than anybody else around in the first place.

Because it is the same brands ripping off people in different areas, BP charging different prices in different locations. If you ask the managers of the stations, they cite the oil companies as the ones who set he prices (not that I believe them). The retailers are constantly moaning that they make little profit out petrol, but they clearly enjoy the profiteering.
big baggles View Drop Down
Chalfont Snapper
Chalfont Snapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote big baggles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 April 2013 at 10:27pm
my dad used to work for BP, and pricing is totally down to forecourt owners , BP used to sell franchises to entrepreneurs who basically own the site, they are contracted to buy fuels form the major companies, the forecourt owners can add their mark up onto the cost of goods (eg the fee they pay BP per litre for delivery and supply of fuel) then there is Tax.... some forecourts make literally a penny on retail of a litre of fuel, others take a larger profit say 3 or 4 p per litre sold... many use shops and the sales of food/ drinks etc to support the cost of running a forecourt, staff costs, drive offs, insurance, and such like so they lower the ' mark up' on fuel as the shop takings cover the costs....

some fuel companies ( i think esso are the strongest on this ) also cap the prices on fuels when witihn 3 miles radius of a supermarket- eg the esso which is at cressex which is less than a mile of high wycombe asda always matches asda's fuel prices.... this is often done to retain market share and to promote sales promotions the major fuel companies run and also the 'collector card schemes'

remember alot of these major fuel wholesalers/ refiners actually supply the major supermarkets....and they are in ' bed together '

vote with your feet, expensive forecourts are closing at an alarming rate ....holtspur is cheap, so are some forecourts in slough, shop around and join the fair fuel campaign ... paying 'fuel' tax on of VAT is immoral, thats a tax on a tax.....

and when you do 20,000 - 30,000 miles a year it all adds up !   

need a stella and i need one now !
trebor View Drop Down
Sandbox
Sandbox

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trebor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 April 2013 at 11:15pm

In the past 6 months or so, I've found Esso / Tesco Express, Gravel Hill to be competitive on price.

http://www.petrolprices.com/ always a good reference point.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>