Forum Home Forum Home > Chalfont St Peter > News and Gossip
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Blacktree Property / Barringtons

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Sandbox
Sandbox

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Temp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 September 2019 at 1:26pm
Am writing a factual report relating to the jailing of Mr Andre Peter Montaut following the theft of 26 known tenancy deposits, worth over £70k, from one or more of

Barrington Property Lettings Ltd,
Barrington Property Ltd,
Barringtons Giddy,
Giddys Estate Agents Ltd,
Winkworths (a 100% franchise business)
Blackrock Property

operating from, inter alia, 141 High Street, Chalfont St Peter.

Does anyone have some comments, good or bad, about Mr Montaut, his business partners and/or the above mentioned companies ?

Thank you.

0118-321 5725
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The text will disappear sooner or later, as the police lack a public archive, so here it is from the Chad News archive:-
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Location          : Chiltern
TVP release date  : Thursday 29 August 2019, 10:26
Chad News number  : 006698
Chad News copy    : http://chadnews.uk/u25/u25p11.php?ref=006698

An estate agent has been sentenced to prison for false representation following a Thames Valley Police investigation.

Andre Montaut, aged 59, of Foxdell Road, Chalfont St Peter pleaded guilty to one count of fraud by false representation at Aylesbury Crown Court on 13 February.

He was sentenced to a total of two years' and one month imprisonment at a hearing at the same court on Tuesday, August 20.

Between 1 May 2011 and 1 November 2012, Montaut, who worked for Barrington Property, failed to safeguard the financial interests of his clients, when despite being aware of the requirement for tenant deposits to be held in a ring fenced account, omitted to do this, instead choosing to pay them into a separate account which was used to support his business.

On 1 November 2012, Barrington Property ceased trading. No provision was made for the repayment of deposits taken, leaving Montaut's clients to repay in excess of &pound;70,000 in tenant deposits.

Montaut's omission was exacerbated further as despite creating a separate account for the deposits to be held in and supplying details of this to the government scheme MyDeposits, he did not use the account.

He also provided MyDeposits with fraudulent bank statements showing balances in excess of &pound;142,000. In reality, from 30 April 2012, the balance was no more than &pound;136.

Montaut provided the fraudulent statements to MyDeposits in order to disguise the fact that the deposits were not being held in the segregated account, to maintain his membership of the scheme and to continue trading.

A total of 26 clients were victim of Montaut's offences. He was charged on 26 April 2018.

Investigating officer Detective Constable Ashley Ruane, of Banbury Local CID, said: "Montaut breached the trust placed in him by his clients.

"He has shown little remorse for his victims throughout the investigation which has ultimately cost him freedom.

"Let this be a lesson to any estate agents who fail to protect the financial interests of their clients for their own benefit."

JA

Sponsored Links

watsy View Drop Down
Chalfont Admin
Chalfont Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote watsy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 September 2019 at 1:41pm
You've posted very anonymously? Email, name, publication etc
Temp View Drop Down
Sandbox
Sandbox

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Temp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 September 2019 at 2:13pm
True.

Wait until I have finished the l-o-n-g piece and then try to reduce it's size.

Probably a bit too much detail in the report but certainly fulsome.

Have a pleasant day.

AlpinaB5 View Drop Down
Villager
Villager

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlpinaB5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 September 2019 at 8:02pm
The crook has gone to jail for an embarrassingly short period of time. What’s the point of the latest posts?
Temp View Drop Down
Sandbox
Sandbox

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Temp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 September 2019 at 8:20pm
Just wondered if there was anything my research missed.

Understand the landlords reimbursed the tenants. My feeling is, if the company under the de facto control and direction of Mr Montaut never traded, then the deposits could never have become a company responsibility. If so, then the losers could, I suggest, sue Mr Montaut in person to recover their lost money.

Mr Montaut has assests includng a house in joint ownership with his wife, on a mortgage, with two extra charges on it - one from a bank and the other from his parents living in sunny Spain.  One of his companies might come into significant money.

AlpinaB5 View Drop Down
Villager
Villager

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlpinaB5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 September 2019 at 10:06pm
having been found guilty of fraud he will not be able to hide behind any corporate veil. I see where your coming from now. 
Temp View Drop Down
Sandbox
Sandbox

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Temp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 September 2019 at 10:18pm
As I always tell others "I'm not a lawyer".

I would argue in Court there is no vicarious liability. The employer ("the company") could not lawfully authorise, instruct, direct or even encourage Mr Montaut to nick other people's money.

If Mr Montaut was self-employed, or a contractor, then he carries his own liability for his actions.

He has a longish history of non-trading companies, company debts and more companies than most people have had in their life time.

AlpinaB5 View Drop Down
Villager
Villager

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlpinaB5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 September 2019 at 9:25pm
you seem to use many words to say what I do. He’s a crook. I am a lawyer. He’s a crook. Fraudster. Cheat. How many more words do you want? As a lawyer, I prefer to keep it short. Crook. 
Temp View Drop Down
Sandbox
Sandbox

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Temp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 September 2019 at 10:23pm
What type of lawyer are you ? Public law/private law, solicitor, barrister, employee or owner/self, para-legal or someone calling themselves a "lawyer" which they may because it is not a protected description.

Some "lawyers" do part-time work as tribunal judges, county court deputy judges or even occasionally in crown courts of which the new "Old Bailey" is the most senior.

Anyway, Boris just lost, so I am immensely happy. Must wave my lovely EU flags tomorrow.

The article is published - its rather long but detailed. Is the link (meaning URL) of interest ?

Kind regards.

Temp View Drop Down
Sandbox
Sandbox

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Temp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 September 2019 at 12:12am
P.S. My intuition is you are a solicitor, over 50 and possibly 55+.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>