Forum Home Forum Home > Chalfont St Peter > News and Gossip
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Blacktree Property / Barringtons

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Chalfont Admin
Chalfont Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DanW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 January 2013 at 6:54pm
Barringtons have always been a bit, erm, different in their attitude to legalities.
I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I'm with isn't it, and what's it seems scary and weird.
Sponsored Links

born and bred View Drop Down
Villager
Villager

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote born and bred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 January 2013 at 7:41pm
who are the best letting agents for property in CSP?
local born and bred
Butterfly View Drop Down
Villager
Villager

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Butterfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 January 2013 at 8:45pm
Why did Blacktree go through all the bother and cost of new signage only to up and leave like the Marie Celeste?
mazza View Drop Down
Local
Local

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mazza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 January 2013 at 12:14pm
Blacktree were a joke to be honest. When my previous tenant gave notice to leave, Blacktree found me a new tenant to move in just before Xmas, a couple of weeks after my previous tenants vacated. Great I thought, particularly as the new "tenancy" was agreed in November. After a week, I still hadn't received anything formal from Blacktree regarding the new tenants, and I kept ringing asking when I was going to see some paperwork, constantly being told "tomorrow".

During the time I found out they were still showing other tenants round (which I thought was odd, as once a tenant has paid the holding deposit, the property should be off the market - Blacktree assured me this wasn't the case) Then on the week they were supposed to move in, Blacktree informed me my new tenants weren't going to be able to move in as planned and had not signed any tenancy agreement! I accused them of being incompetent as surely it's in their interest as well as a landlord to get the agreement signed ASAP - I was told that it was normal to sign the agreement the week the tenants move in.

At this point, I'd had enough of them, placed the property with Roberts Newby in Gx, and they let it the 1st viewing after Xmas, and we got the tenancy agreement signed ASAP.

Only Barringtons and Blacktree know the truth of their transaction, and who's in the right and wrong - either way, the village has certainly not lost anything with the departure of Blacktree.
Roy B View Drop Down
Villager
Villager

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 January 2013 at 1:24pm
In my experience Barringtons were always a reliable company. We purchased our house from them in 1995. They always gave a good service and I know through many friends that used them they were always professional and trustworthy.

They were a very good business in the community supporting local events and also giving great support to the schools even providing a mini bus to the CSP Middle School.

I think what happened after Blacktree took over the business is a seperate issue and Barrigntons good name should not be tarnished by things that happened afterwards.
Nessun Dorma View Drop Down
Villager
Villager

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nessun Dorma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 January 2013 at 11:48am
Originally posted by mazza mazza wrote:

You may have noticed a few months ago that Barrington Property / Winkworth became Blacktree Property. Barrington's former customers were told by Blacktree that they were taking over both Barrington's business and premises and all existing Ts and Cs would be honoured and not to worry about the fact that the mydeposits scheme had written to landlords telling them Barringtons had left the scheme because Blacktree was going to sort this all out.

Imagine my surprise this morning when I received a letter through the post from Blacktree saying that actually they never bought the Barrington's business (contrary to what they'd originally said) that Barringtons had not transferred over the tenants' deposits they were holding, and that anyone wanting to claim their deposit back should follow up with Barringtons as it was nothing to do with Blacktree. I hate to think how many tenants out there have lost their deposits through this farcical situation. Of course Blacktree never got round the insuring these deposits, so they really sorted it out like they said they would!

Oh and now Blacktree have said they are leaving the area - another way of saying running away. 

People have been swindled out of hard earned money as a result.

But they are required by law to use one of the three official deposit protection schemes. If they haven't, they are exposing themselves to criminal prosecution.
oldchris View Drop Down
Chalfont Oracle
Chalfont Oracle

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldchris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 January 2013 at 1:12pm
Originally posted by mazza mazza wrote:

Blacktree were a joke to be honest. When my previous tenant gave notice to leave, Blacktree found me a new tenant to move in just before Xmas, a couple of weeks after my previous tenants vacated. Great I thought, particularly as the new "tenancy" was agreed in November. After a week, I still hadn't received anything formal from Blacktree regarding the new tenants, and I kept ringing asking when I was going to see some paperwork, constantly being told "tomorrow".

During the time I found out they were still showing other tenants round (which I thought was odd, as once a tenant has paid the holding deposit, the property should be off the market - Blacktree assured me this wasn't the case) Then on the week they were supposed to move in, Blacktree informed me my new tenants weren't going to be able to move in as planned and had not signed any tenancy agreement! I accused them of being incompetent as surely it's in their interest as well as a landlord to get the agreement signed ASAP - I was told that it was normal to sign the agreement the week the tenants move in.

At this point, I'd had enough of them, placed the property with Roberts Newby in Gx, and they let it the 1st viewing after Xmas, and we got the tenancy agreement signed ASAP.

Only Barringtons and Blacktree know the truth of their transaction, and who's in the right and wrong - either way, the village has certainly not lost anything with the departure of Blacktree.

did you see, i think watchdog, undercover on this, it's common on what you have said.
stop HS2.
dogwalker View Drop Down
Local
Local

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dogwalker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 January 2013 at 7:55pm

But they are required by law to use one of the three official deposit protection schemes. If they haven't, they are exposing themselves to criminal prosecution.

[/QUOTE]
The Police have been called in as the deposit money is not there. Legal action is being taken to recover this, as possibly the Landlords may be liable to refund the missing deposits.
Nessun Dorma View Drop Down
Villager
Villager

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nessun Dorma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 January 2013 at 9:25pm
Indeed they will be, but I can't see how the money has gone missing. It is the duty of the landlord to ensure that deposits are lodged with one of the three prescribed companies, not one made up by the agents.
mazza View Drop Down
Local
Local

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mazza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 January 2013 at 10:15am
This particular case will come down to what actually happened to the deposit - estate agents are supposed to hold the deposit in a separate account, with the deposit schemes guaranteeing the deposit in the event of a landlord- tenant dispute. If either agent in this case (as I'm not clear who's in the right / wrong here) has used that deposit for their own gain, they have effectively stolen money, and therefore would be a fraud case. Police are starting to crack down on this sort of thing:

http://www.lettingagenttoday.co.uk/news_features/NALS-welcomes-prison-sentence-for-crooked-agent-who-stole-depositst

Any landlords reading this, don't let the letting agent hold your tenants' deposits. Hold them yourself, and secure them with the one of the deposit protection schemes. It costs you £100 but at least you're not dependent on the solvency of an estate agent.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>