Forum Home Forum Home > General > The Forum > Forum Of The Damned
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

They are going to kill themselves.......

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Paul_G View Drop Down
Chalfontonian
Chalfontonian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul_G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2012 at 3:01pm
Originally posted by Dave-R Dave-R wrote:

Who sets the speed limit anyway?Some clueless council drone. Thats why so many roads are artificially low. I mean 40 between Beaconsfield and Holtspur please. Even traffic police say thats too low.

I actually contacted the council to oppose the reduction on this one.

I got an email reply a while later along the lines of 'Thank you for responding and your comments have been duly noted etc.  The decision is to go ahead with the reduction anyway.'

Where it gets interesting is that instead of putting the email recipients in the bcc field, Ms Council put them in the cc field. So I replied (copy all) stating I didn't like my email address being broadcast like that.  I got an apology a week or so later but in the meanwhile there ensued an emotive email flurry between the 9 contributors.  Seems that all 9 opposed the reduction.

Now maybe the respondants (if any) for the reduction were contacted separately, but it seemed to me the council's response was generic to go to everyone.  That being so, all respondants were ignored and the 'consultation' was a sham just to complete the paperwork required by law.

Was it a couple of years ago there was a mass 'consultation' on changing a large number of speed limits in the area?  As far as I could tell all were reduction and pretty much all proposed by the council were adopted by the council.

Bottom line?  IMO the council don't listen to the electorate and don't represent their views.

P
Sponsored Links

timo_w2s View Drop Down
Chalfontonian
Chalfontonian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timo_w2s Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2012 at 1:38pm
Originally posted by phisch21 phisch21 wrote:

Originally posted by Malc London Malc London wrote:

Unless you are looking constantly at the speedo and not the road ahead, then you will at some point break the speed limit, like the majority of drivers.
So average speed cameras are the answer then?

It's not good for me, when I'm in an average speed check area I'm looking more at my speedo than usual.
Who is General Failure and why's he reading my hard disk?
phisch21 View Drop Down
Chalfont Oracle
Chalfont Oracle

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phisch21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2012 at 1:15pm

Unless you are looking constantly at the speedo and not the road ahead, then you will at some point break the speed limit, like the majority of drivers.

So average speed cameras are the answer then?
Dave-R View Drop Down
Chalfont Star
Chalfont Star

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave-R Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2012 at 11:39am

Who sets the speed limit anyway?Some clueless council drone. Thats why so many roads are artificially low. I mean 40 between Beaconsfield and Holtspur please. Even traffic police say thats too low.

timo_w2s View Drop Down
Chalfontonian
Chalfontonian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timo_w2s Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2012 at 10:55am

Nope, seems a lot of people here think they are prefect drivers so would never go over the limit.
Who is General Failure and why's he reading my hard disk?
Malc London View Drop Down
Chalfont Snapper
Chalfont Snapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Malc London Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2012 at 8:04am
Originally posted by ArtB ArtB wrote:

Forum of the Damned??

Art

A dozen contributors, nearly 1400 views, one of the most popular in postings, what else is a forum for?

The unpopular subjects soon go down the page.
ArtB View Drop Down
Chalfont Snapper
Chalfont Snapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArtB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2012 at 7:14am
Forum of the Damned??

Art
*** If you're not part of the solution, you may be part of the problem!
Malc London View Drop Down
Chalfont Snapper
Chalfont Snapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Malc London Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2012 at 6:20am
Originally posted by kermie55 kermie55 wrote:

If people are aware of their surroundings while going over the speed limit how come loads of people get done for speeding each year??

The speed 'limit' is set at a speed you are expected to be driving at. If you drive under the limit you are a potential hazard. For example, if you drive at 40mph on the A40 between GX and Beaconsfield you are liable to be overtaken, because you are expected to be driving at the maximum of 50mph.

All speed limits should be increased by 10mph to allow for different conditions. The speed limit is the same on a clear day with no traffic as on a rainy dark night.

The reason people get done is because the speed "limit" is set too low and this only becomes an issue when police decide to target a particular road.

oldchris View Drop Down
Chalfont Oracle
Chalfont Oracle

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldchris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2012 at 10:13pm

Originally posted by Dave-R Dave-R wrote:

Straying 3 over the limit is something everyone on here who has been driving for more than a day has done, if you say you havent you are a liar. 60 in a 30 while doing wheelies should be a ban, 33 in a 30 while well aware of the surroundings should be a word about watching your speed, nothing more.

Chris, it's not just a small fine. It's years of higher insurance premiums. There used to be a discretion and police would let you go with a warning. Now, it's no leeway. Yet the punishment remains the same.

Everyone, even police officers, go over the limit because it's artificially low. (20mph on some main roads).

As for bikers, well they generally kill themselves eventually.

if they have insurance, some don't.
1 million cars and bikes on the road don't have any.
stop HS2.
lesleyr View Drop Down
Villager
Villager

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lesleyr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2012 at 9:16pm
Its simple the speed limit on any given road is the maximim we should drive at if we get caught going over that limit then generally its 3 points and a fine if you are excessively over then its usually court and possible a larger fine and more points or a ban. None of us like it because it takes away our hard learnt money.It has nothing to do with crimes being commited by anybody else you break the law you pay the price.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>