Forum Home Forum Home > General > The Forum > Forum Of The Damned
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

They are going to kill themselves.......

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
isntitnice View Drop Down
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote isntitnice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 June 2012 at 1:38pm
Originally posted by Malc London Malc London wrote:

Originally posted by isntitnice isntitnice wrote:

So wrong. I think you would benefit from a 'refresher' driving lesson or at least a seminar.

OK, so you think the speed limit driving on a clear day with no traffic should be the same at night in pouring rain with no street lights?  Or do you think the limit is set at the lowest for all eventualities?

Next, try driving down the A413 towards Chalfont St Giles at 20mph, and see how long it is before someone tries to overtake you.

Or if you prefer, try the A40 towards Beaconsfield and drive at 35mph. You will almost certainly cause a near miss head on collision.

Seriously, take a driving lesson or attend a speed awareness course where you can discuss your compelling ideas on road safety.
Sponsored Links

Malc London View Drop Down
Chalfont Snapper
Chalfont Snapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Malc London Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 June 2012 at 1:29pm
That's what I do.  What I am saying is that speed limits have no such descretion and are generally too low for perfect conditions.

The speed limit from the Target to Polish War Memorial is 50mph. Any reason why? No houses, no pedestrians and the same road becomes 70mph just after. 

If the speed limits are too low, of course people are going to break them.  
phisch21 View Drop Down
Chalfont Oracle
Chalfont Oracle

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phisch21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 June 2012 at 1:03pm

Or if you prefer, try the A40 towards Beaconsfield and drive at 35mph. You will almost certainly cause a near miss head on collision.

So drive at 50 when it's clear and at 35 when it's raining, icy, etc. no need to increase the limit. It won't be you causing an accident, it will be the impatience of the driver behind you

Edited by phisch21 - 07 June 2012 at 1:06pm
Malc London View Drop Down
Chalfont Snapper
Chalfont Snapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Malc London Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 June 2012 at 12:59pm
Originally posted by isntitnice isntitnice wrote:

So wrong. I think you would benefit from a 'refresher' driving lesson or at least a seminar.

OK, so you think the speed limit driving on a clear day with no traffic should be the same at night in pouring rain with no street lights?  Or do you think the limit is set at the lowest for all eventualities?

Next, try driving down the A413 towards Chalfont St Giles at 20mph, and see how long it is before someone tries to overtake you.

83% of motorist admit to speeding.  I would suggest that this figure would be higher if it included people who do speed but don't admit it, or didn't realise they were.

Edited by Malc London - 07 June 2012 at 1:00pm
isntitnice View Drop Down
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote isntitnice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 June 2012 at 11:26am

Originally posted by kermie55 kermie55 wrote:

If people are aware of their surroundings while going over the speed limit how come loads of people get done for speeding each year??

The speed 'limit' is set at a speed you are expected to be driving at. If you drive under the limit you are a potential hazard. For example, if you drive at 40mph on the A40 between GX and Beaconsfield you are liable to be overtaken, because you are expected to be driving at the maximum of 50mph.

All speed limits should be increased by 10mph to allow for different conditions. The speed limit is the same on a clear day with no traffic as on a rainy dark night.

The reason people get done is because the speed "limit" is set too low and this only becomes an issue when police decide to target a particular road.

Unless you are looking constantly at the speedo and not the road ahead, then you will at some point break the speed limit, like the majority of drivers.

phisch21 View Drop Down
Chalfont Oracle
Chalfont Oracle

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phisch21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2012 at 7:59pm
No idea, but he's an ex copper trying to find a place in local politics. Just the kind of person who can set sensible speed limits
Dave-R View Drop Down
Chalfont Star
Chalfont Star

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave-R Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2012 at 6:36pm
I didnt get a vote at the mayoral elections so to be honest didnt pay too much attention to their manifestos.What did Paddick's say?
phisch21 View Drop Down
Chalfont Oracle
Chalfont Oracle

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phisch21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2012 at 4:39pm
Originally posted by Dave-R Dave-R wrote:

I used to do a fair bit of work for councils and i find them to be the most horrible,know all, arrogant and ignorant people out there.

A good friend of mine is a traffic cop based at Wycombe, he has 16 years traffic experience and says at least a third of roads have too low a speed limit. My guess is he knows more about speeds,braking,dangerous conditions, etc than some random council drone. 

We should have voted Brian Paddick in as Mayor of London
ArtB View Drop Down
Chalfont Snapper
Chalfont Snapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArtB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2012 at 4:28pm

Originally posted by ArtB ArtB wrote:

Forum of the Damned??

Art

A dozen contributors, nearly 1400 views, one of the most popular in postings, what else is a forum for?

The unpopular subjects soon go down the page.

Well that's what I always used to think Malc but there was the outcry about order in the forum with one of the directives that we were given being that speed related items with a differing opinion should go in Forum of the Damned as the arguments always continually go round and round the same old arguments.

If it has a dozen contributors and 1400 views it should still get that elsewhere, might make that area of the forum better used.

Art
*** If you're not part of the solution, you may be part of the problem!
Dave-R View Drop Down
Chalfont Star
Chalfont Star

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave-R Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2012 at 3:53pm

I used to do a fair bit of work for councils and i find them to be the most horrible,know all, arrogant and ignorant people out there.

A good friend of mine is a traffic cop based at Wycombe, he has 16 years traffic experience and says at least a third of roads have too low a speed limit. My guess is he knows more about speeds,braking,dangerous conditions, etc than some random council drone. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>