Forum Home Forum Home > Chalfont St Peter > Memory Lane
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Fairthorpe cars

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Chalfont Star
Chalfont Star

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pierre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fairthorpe cars
    Posted: 18 February 2012 at 6:35pm
Perveyor of crap knob jokes since 2007.
Sponsored Links

Sparkle View Drop Down
Villager
Villager

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparkle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 February 2012 at 10:19am
I remember them, were they down Station Rd in GX?
pierre View Drop Down
Chalfont Star
Chalfont Star

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pierre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 February 2012 at 10:23pm
http://fairthorpe.blogspot.com/2010_05_01_archive.html

From what I have found they were in Gerrards Cross before they moved to Denham.
Perveyor of crap knob jokes since 2007.
JohnohUK View Drop Down
Local
Local

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnohUK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 February 2012 at 10:47pm
The picture on the blogsite is of Chalfont St Peter not GX... its taken from the old Dells garage site which is now Budgens/Wally's..

The mock tudor woodwork is the giveaway...

http://g.co/maps/zrxca

GX is a completely different style..

I can't seem to find a picture on-line of the garage but its in those Audrey books..

Henry View Drop Down
Chalfont Oracle
Chalfont Oracle

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Henry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 February 2012 at 9:29am
Keep the green belt green
Henry View Drop Down
Chalfont Oracle
Chalfont Oracle

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Henry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 February 2012 at 9:59am

Fairthorpe cars started in Chalfont St Peter 1954

In 1961 the company moved to Gerrards Cross

and in 1964 Moved to Denham

in 1976 closed

Keep the green belt green
ArtB View Drop Down
Chalfont Snapper
Chalfont Snapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArtB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 February 2012 at 6:02pm

Originally posted by JohnohUK JohnohUK wrote:

The picture on the blogsite is of Chalfont St Peter not GX... its taken from the old Dells garage site which is now Budgens/Wally's..

The mock tudor woodwork is the giveaway...

http://g.co/maps/zrxca

GX is a completely different style..

I can't seem to find a picture on-line of the garage but its in those Audrey books..

Dell's garage was in the High Street to the left of where the library is.

The Fairthorpe site was where Budgens now is. They weren't there for very long, the factory burnt to the ground, some fire it was as well.

If you zoom in on the photo in the blog it was directly opposite 6 Market Place (Chalfont Glass?)

ArtB
*** If you're not part of the solution, you may be part of the problem!
JohnohUK View Drop Down
Local
Local

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnohUK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 February 2012 at 9:34pm
doo... ur right...i've got a very sketchy memory of the pre-budgens site... but can picture Dell's ...where those offices are now... ( from ur post a while back)...

http://www.chalfontstpeter.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=4731

watsy View Drop Down
Chalfont Admin
Chalfont Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote watsy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 February 2012 at 10:11pm
It used to be a Nissan main dealer and petrol station - I remember walking back from school and watching the attendant jumping out and dispensing the petrol for you - he later became our postman! I think it was the last in the local area to do that - the Volvo garage never used to (tesco express).
hissing sid View Drop Down
Chalfont Oldie
Chalfont Oldie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hissing sid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 February 2012 at 11:20pm
Originally posted by watsy watsy wrote:

It used to be a Nissan main dealer and petrol station - I remember walking back from school and watching the attendant jumping out and dispensing the petrol for you - he later became our postman! I think it was the last in the local area to do that - the Volvo garage never used to (tesco express).

Dell's used to be a "Citron" dealer
Hissing Sid

It's a free country, adopt whatever PC stance you want. Just don't tell me which stance I should take just because it clashes with your opinion.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>