Forum Home Forum Home > Chalfont St Peter > Out & About
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Spice

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
Author
Chalfont Snapper
Chalfont Snapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Malc London Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 November 2011 at 1:24pm
Originally posted by Bucks Fizz Bucks Fizz wrote:

Incidentally, the English way of asking for 'naann bread' sounds ludicrous to Indians - it's like asking for 'bread breads'. Naan and roti both mean 'bread'. 

Thanks for the input Bicks Fizz. (Thankfully, I always ask for a Plain Naan).

I was aware that Curry is different over in India, in fact "Curry" is a western word. Chicken Tikka is also dry over here, just that it's supposed to be like Tandori and not excessively spicey.

I would like to try the food in India, but wonder if this is what we are actually getting in Chalfont when I am more used to traditional Indian food as served in restaurants up and down the country. As I said, my Curries are tasty, just not "Restaurant Curry".

I might try the hint about frying the spices whole.

Sponsored Links

oldchris View Drop Down
Chalfont Oracle
Chalfont Oracle

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldchris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 November 2011 at 1:47pm
indian is one thing, Thai is another
the best place i've been is the white horse pub, 50 Middle Road,
 harrow on the hill, fantastic food.
NOW GONE!Angry

Edited by oldchris - 21 November 2011 at 1:49pm
stop HS2.
phisch21 View Drop Down
Chalfont Oracle
Chalfont Oracle

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phisch21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 November 2011 at 1:52pm
Chickem Tikka is dry - it's the Massala sauce in Chicken Tikka massala that makes it saucy.

If you want a taste of Indian food, try the Masala Zone - there's a few about in London now.

Edited by phisch21 - 21 November 2011 at 1:52pm
pierre View Drop Down
Chalfont Star
Chalfont Star

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pierre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 November 2011 at 3:40pm
Perveyor of crap knob jokes since 2007.
oldchris View Drop Down
Chalfont Oracle
Chalfont Oracle

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldchris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 November 2011 at 5:24pm
dog food.
stop HS2.
pierre View Drop Down
Chalfont Star
Chalfont Star

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pierre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 November 2011 at 11:02pm
My dog Muttley loves it!
Perveyor of crap knob jokes since 2007.
Bucks Fizz View Drop Down
Chalfontonian
Chalfontonian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bucks Fizz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 November 2011 at 7:19am
You're all correct. Chicken tikka should be served dry. Smothering it in sauce and calling it chicken tikka massala originated in England and you won't find it in India, unless some enterprising hotelier exports the idea to India. As Malc says, he's used to 'local' Indian dishes here. Recipes always get adapted to local tastes as they cross borders. Anyone remember the early English 'curries' we used to make, using chicken or mince, with diced apple, sultanas and Lea & Perrin's curry sauce? It wasn't in the least bit 'authentic' but was delicious nonetheless. L&P no longer make that curry sauce, sadly. Nowadays everyone wants specifically a jalfrezi, dopiaza or madras etc. Lea & Perrins was based on 'Anglo Indian' cuisine, as adapted by the Eurasian communities in India. They gave us mulligatawny soup and Kedgeree (rice & fish) etc. As I said earlier, who's to say what is 'authentic'. It's what you like that counts.    
Walrus View Drop Down
Chalfontonian
Chalfontonian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Walrus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 November 2011 at 8:52am
That's like saying fish and chips is European. You cannot say food is the same if it comes from about 1/4 of the world.

Spice is Bangladeshi, to cater for more markets it's offering Indian dishes like madras, jalfrezi etc.

I wouldn't go to Spain and expect really good fish and chips or Sunday roast!
Is back in the game! :)
Malc London View Drop Down
Chalfont Snapper
Chalfont Snapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Malc London Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 November 2011 at 12:23pm
You do not hear people saying "I'm going for a Bangladeshi".  The style of food is known as Curry or Indian, even if the chef is English.

Why would you not expect good fish and chips or Sunday roast in Spain?

Bucks Fizz View Drop Down
Chalfontonian
Chalfontonian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bucks Fizz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 November 2011 at 7:23am
I must say that the best 'English' style roast beef, roast tatties and yorkshire pud I ever ate were served up by a friend's Indian lady cook in Delhi in 1976. It was so good that I remember it to this day. I'd been in India a few months and was greatly missing home and home cooking, and I could not get the local meat to cook nicely in my dreadful little oven. The lady cook had been taught to cook English dishes by a former employer, a Yorkshire woman. I have never tasted roast potatoes so good.

I also think the best fish & chips I've had in many a year are from Andrew's Plaice in GX. Theyr'e also nice people in there. They used to run a butchery business in Farnham Common and, when business fell off, they tried to turn their shop into a chippy, but the local council wouldn't grant them permission, as it would lower the tone of the place. FC have now got a Tesco Express selling plastic wrapped meat instead! Farmham Common's loss is our gain.   
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>