Forum Home Forum Home > Chalfont St Peter > Out & About
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Spice

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Author
Chalfont Snapper
Chalfont Snapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Malc London Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Spice
    Posted: 20 November 2011 at 1:16pm

Friday night and Spice was full to the rafters with people waiting. A sign of a good takeaway to come? No.

Since when has Chicken Tikka been hotter than a Madras? and since when did a Madras come in a bright yellow sauce?

The Madras was a medium/hot curry, but was not a Madras.

The menu might have well read

1) Mild Chicken Curry
2) Medium Chicken Curry
3) Hot Chicken Curry.

Take the menu to anywhere out of Chafont and you will get what you expect, if I ordered a Chicken Madras in South Harrow, Eastcote or Uxbridge, I would get roughly the same thing.  Order it at Spice and you get their version.

Still, the restaurant was full and so again I am not in line with the taste buds of Chalfontonians, but I'll revert to GX for my currys from now on.

(Lemon Grass was empty btw, perhaps I should have gone there).

Sponsored Links

oldchris View Drop Down
Chalfont Oracle
Chalfont Oracle

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldchris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 November 2011 at 4:46pm
lemon grass is always empty when i go past.
stop HS2.
Bucks Fizz View Drop Down
Chalfontonian
Chalfontonian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bucks Fizz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 November 2011 at 4:59pm
Speaking of 'spices;, in its broader sense, I went to the food fair at the GX community centre yesterday. It was very good - lots of Fishers' suppliers of mainly local foods (sausages, yoghourt, ice cream cheeses, biscuits etc), with free tastings. They had 2 suppliers of curry sauces and all their products were excellent so I bought some. You might try making your own Madras, Malc? I'll certainly be looking in at Fishers for Christmas. I tasted some excellent ice cream from a dairy herd at Lane End too.
oldchris View Drop Down
Chalfont Oracle
Chalfont Oracle

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldchris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 November 2011 at 5:01pm
i make my own all the time now, it's cheaper and for me, better, the only downside is time and the washing up.
stop HS2.
Malc London View Drop Down
Chalfont Snapper
Chalfont Snapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Malc London Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 November 2011 at 5:11pm
I do make my own but cannot get that authentic Indian taste. Mine taste more like what you get at Tripti. Nearest I got involved using a lot of oil which I didn't want to do again.

Bit like my Chalfontucky baked chicken, uses a lot of salt but pretty close to KFC. But then I don't like using a lot of salt.

Walrus View Drop Down
Chalfontonian
Chalfontonian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Walrus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 November 2011 at 2:03am
Spice is Bangladesh not Indian.
Is back in the game! :)
oldchris View Drop Down
Chalfont Oracle
Chalfont Oracle

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldchris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 November 2011 at 9:15am
Originally posted by Walrus Walrus wrote:

you will hard pressed to get real Indian food in a UK restaurant .Confused
stop HS2.
Bucks Fizz View Drop Down
Chalfontonian
Chalfontonian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bucks Fizz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 November 2011 at 11:57am
Most Indians are vegetarian, as I found when I lived out there. What most of our restaurants here serve is northern Indian tandoori meats, but cooked and served by Bangladeshis. Bangladeshi cuisine is rather different, so who's to say what's authentic? Better to have lots of veggie oil, Malc, than ghee (clarified butter) which they use in the restaurants and which will stop your heart eventually. If you dry fry whole spices then grind them, just before cooking, you should get a really 'authentic' taste. Balti recipes are best done this way. The tastiest (and healthiest) 'Indian' food I ever ate was cooked in big pots over wood fires by the roadside in Gilgit, northern Pakistan, and the best Balti was served up to me in Baltistan in 1979(it was not, contrary to popular rumour, invented in Birmingham). Malc, maybe you should visit India and try it for yourself? Out there, chicken tikka is served dry, without sauce, but is none the worse for that. Butter chicken (murgh Mahkani) is a saucy speciality of Delhi - you'd love it. And the Peshawari naans are as big as tennis rackets. Incidentally, the English way of asking for 'naann bread' sounds ludicrous to Indians - it's like asking for 'bread breads'. Naan and roti both mean 'bread'. At this time of year, I like to pop over to Southall to stock up on spices etc. I buy lots of fresh red chillies, cinamon sticks etc to decorate the house for Christmas, and you can buy great value stainless steel kitchen itenms, and silk fabrics too. Oh dear Malc, you've got me on 2 of my faourite subjects - India and food!
brewski View Drop Down
Chalfontonian
Chalfontonian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brewski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 November 2011 at 12:32pm
Had a curry in Maliks GX the other evening, wasn't over impressed with their food, shame, used to be good there too.
Too many laws...
Too few examples...
Malc London View Drop Down
Chalfont Snapper
Chalfont Snapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Malc London Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 November 2011 at 1:15pm
Originally posted by Walrus Walrus wrote:

The term "Indian" when refering to a style of cusine, refers to the Indian Subcontinent, not just India.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>