Forum Home Forum Home > Chalfont St Peter > Memory Lane
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Bakers Arms to The Poachers

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Local
Local

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Wilder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bakers Arms to The Poachers
    Posted: 16 September 2010 at 10:40am
I am trying to research a bit more of the history of my pub. I am trying to find out when it changed from The Bakers Arms to The Poachers. Also any interesting history of the building. Also any history of the names. I am aware that the Poachers came from when it was turned into a game restaurant, but anything else would be very helpful. This is for a new web site I am making for the pub.

Thank you

Mike
Sponsored Links

Martyc View Drop Down
Villager
Villager

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Martyc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 September 2010 at 12:40pm
Hi Mike, not sure if you have seen these. If the link doesnt work, just search on the site under Chalfont St Peter.....

Bakers%20Arms,%20before%20alterations.%20motorbike%20and%20brewery%20van.%20C.1936

Bakers%20Arms,PH%20after%20alterations.%203.1936

brewski View Drop Down
Chalfontonian
Chalfontonian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brewski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 September 2010 at 2:46pm
Hi Mike, any news on when its opening?

Cheers.
Too many laws...
Too few examples...
Mike Wilder View Drop Down
Local
Local

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Wilder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 September 2010 at 3:11pm
Hopefully about a month. If you have facebook here us the link to the pubs site with many pictures of the damage and referb.
http://www.facebook.com/the.poachers#!/the.poachers?v=photos
rizzo View Drop Down
Villager
Villager

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rizzo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 September 2010 at 4:12pm
I can remember when the place was changed from the bakers to the poachers. Got quite friendly with the builders and had a few looks around. Obviously the bars were all knocked into one and I remember the floors were all laid with york flagstones. I do remember the cellars were completely flooded, literally up to about the third step down from the bar.
Robbo View Drop Down
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 January 2012 at 7:52am
I remember drinking in there when it was the Bakers Arms.....one of the Bar Attendants was a girl called Carol Aumpu.  she lived at the top of the Common. I think it changed it's name around 1975 but I was in Oz by then and am relying on what I was told and my own lousy memory
Robbo
But who will watch the watchers ?
Rich Kid View Drop Down
Chalfont Snapper
Chalfont Snapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 August 2012 at 5:00pm
I remember the Bakers Arms when it had three bars, a private bar, a saloon bar, and at the back, a public bar. Never my favourite pub.
dodgydave View Drop Down
Sandbox
Sandbox

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dodgydave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 January 2014 at 8:33pm
do you remember paddy who always served in the lounge bar little old lady used to live next door
ArtB View Drop Down
Chalfont Snapper
Chalfont Snapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArtB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 March 2014 at 5:44pm
Wasn't her surname Rance. Had couple of daughters if memory serves.

*** If you're not part of the solution, you may be part of the problem!
dodgydave View Drop Down
Sandbox
Sandbox

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dodgydave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 March 2014 at 10:39pm
dont know her surname but yes she had a couple of daughters one of them married dennis who was a drummer in a little local band called the premiers
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>