Forum Home Forum Home > General > The Forum
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Wall mounted bookshelves-looking for inspiration!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Wall mounted bookshelves-looking for inspiration!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Villager
Villager

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarkD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Wall mounted bookshelves-looking for inspiration!
    Posted: 05 January 2009 at 8:47pm
I've decided to put some bookshelves up in a spare room and empty some of the boxes of books that have been sat in the garage for too long. I'm thinking of 6 shelves on two walls, 3 x 1m on one, and 3 x 1-2m on the other - they need to be wall mounted because there's no floor space and I don't want to be worried about them falling off the wall if I put too many books on them. I was looking at Elfa brackets and uprights, but my wife thinks they're ugly and I can see her point - for about £75 plus the same again for shelving I would have hoped to get a better looking result - has anyone got any bright ideas for alternative wall mounted book storage? I'm a fairly competent DIYer, not a master carpenter by the way!

Edited by MarkD - 05 January 2009 at 8:55pm
Sponsored Links

Mike Wilder View Drop Down
Local
Local

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Wilder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 January 2009 at 5:50pm
I've always liked floating shelves

Try this site
MarkD View Drop Down
Villager
Villager

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarkD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 January 2009 at 10:56pm
I do like the look of them - not sure about the whole process of using filler to seal them to the wall as I always make a bit of a mess with sealant, but I might give them a go - certainly one to consider, cheers Mike
pierre View Drop Down
Chalfont Star
Chalfont Star

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pierre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 January 2009 at 12:17am
I much prefer the avante garde approach of an old banana box from Bludgens descretely out of eyes reach under the bed. My absolute fave at the moment is Geest.... they are absolute nanas with their funky yellow and black livery!

Geek

Perveyor of crap knob jokes since 2007.
Henry View Drop Down
Chalfont Oracle
Chalfont Oracle

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Henry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 January 2009 at 9:33am
Keep the green belt green
MarkD View Drop Down
Villager
Villager

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarkD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 January 2009 at 10:33pm
Homebase have similar ones with 33% off - about £10 compared to £15, but max. load 5-15 kg is no good for books really - I can see them falling off the wall in no time!
tobic View Drop Down
Chalfont Snapper
Chalfont Snapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tobic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 January 2009 at 6:58am
If yer got the tools make your own up out of MDF or craftwood, its a damn sight cheaper and you get exactly what you want

Condoms should be used on every conceivable occasion.
 Post Reply Post Reply