Forum Home Forum Home > Organisations > Chamber Of Commerce
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Pedestrianise the Precinct Area

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Villager
Villager

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lollipop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 October 2010 at 8:17pm
Originally posted by Malc London Malc London wrote:

I think the disabled bays should be opposite the Launderette in the spaces big enough for two cars but not the three spaces it's supposed to be accomodating.

I think the disabled bays should be where disabled people most need them. 

Outside the post office seems like a good spot.

Bear in mind that [I think I'm right in saying that] the St Peter's Court car park is privately owned and run, so they probably only do the bare minimum that's needed.

The disabled spaces in the Church Lane car park are way too far from anywhere for a blue badge holder.  We need disabled spaces at intervals up Market Place - and some means of stopping t@ssers in big cars from thinking it's OK to stop there for a minute.

... for the peace of my years in the long green grass ...
Sponsored Links

Malc London View Drop Down
Chalfont Snapper
Chalfont Snapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Malc London Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 October 2010 at 5:25pm
Originally posted by Lollipop Lollipop wrote:

I think the disabled bays should be where disabled people most need them. 

Outside the post office seems like a good spot.

I disagree, it's on a busy corner and the spaces provided do not allow for wheelchair access.  Either the 2 spaces outside the lauderette or the 2 paces outside Timpsons would be better.

The disabled spaces in the Church Lane car park are way too far from anywhere for a blue badge holder.

There are two sets at least, possibly three in the Church Lane car park.  One makes no sense at all being near the flats but without access to them.  There are certainly some down by the Greyhound and I think near the Church Hall.

Lollipop View Drop Down
Villager
Villager

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lollipop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 October 2010 at 6:04pm
Hmm, having a spot of trouble replying to you there, ML.

What I've tried to say in answer to the two points above (you'll just have to guess which bit's which Wink):

What on earth makes you think that disabled bay users are also wheelchair users?  Many will be blue badge holders who find it difficult or impossible to walk more than 50m, with or without pain.

And what on mars makes you think that wheelchair users are either (a) capable of propelling themselves from the other side of the car park or (b) only capable of propelling themselves from the other side of the car park?

There's no right answer.  Ergo we must assume that any disabled bay user is only able to travel a minimal distance from vehicle to destination and, back to my point, the post office is the most likely.

There are three sets of disabled bays in the Church Lane car park.

That single one in the middle is weird but I suppose fine for some categories of disabled people (see lecture below).  It will also probably be useful for minibuses transporting groups of wheelchair users with helpers.

The spaces by the church will be great for church users (again, with assistance) and the three at the St Peter's Court end of the car park will surely suit many categories of disabled persons (see lecture) but they're quite useless for blue badge holders who fall into the category of having " physical disability that means you are unable to walk very far without experiencing severe discomfort".

What hope have this group of people got of using the shops in CSP unless we make provision for them up Market Place?

Today's lecture is that DISABLED doesn't automatically mean WHEELCHAIR.

If I recall, blue badge holders can fall into a number of categories - unable to walk, extreme difficulty/pain in walking, no use of upper limbs, severely disabled small child (requiring medical equipment to be transported, or needing to be whisked away to get medical care).

... for the peace of my years in the long green grass ...
Henry View Drop Down
Chalfont Oracle
Chalfont Oracle

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Henry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 October 2010 at 8:10am

Today's lecture is that DISABLED doesn't automatically mean WHEELCHAIR.

I have to agree with that statement BUT it has little or no relavance. As disabled spaces have to be such that they can be used by a wheelchair user.

I prefer the spaces to be called Easy Access.

As to Easy access spaces in Market Place I have to dissagree. Parking anywhere in market place is dagerous able bodied or not. The idea of a wheelchair user getting out of their car into the road on that hill. NO
Keep the green belt green
J.R. View Drop Down
Chalfontonian
Chalfontonian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J.R. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 October 2010 at 9:22am
Are the spaces at the Market Place end of Budgens carpark reserved for disabled badge holders ?

This would make more sense than on the hill - by the mobility shop & near the zebra-crossing.
JR was ere
Chalfont Snapper
Chalfont Snapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Malc London Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 October 2010 at 12:26pm

we must assume that any disabled bay user is only able to travel a minimal distance from vehicle to destination and, back to my point, the post office is the most likely.

Why? What if their destination is Nat West Bank, or Timpsons or the Launderette? 

And as for not all disabled people need wheelchair access, I bet a number of them would welcome an extra bit of room to get out of the car.

Chalfont Snapper
Chalfont Snapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Malc London Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 October 2010 at 12:28pm
Originally posted by J.R. J.R. wrote:

Are the spaces at the Market Place end of Budgens carpark reserved for disabled badge holders ?

This would make more sense than on the hill - by the mobility shop & near the zebra-crossing.

Budgens carpark is supposed to be for Budgens customers. I know people think it's a free village car park but it's not.

oldchris View Drop Down
Chalfont Oracle
Chalfont Oracle

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldchris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 October 2010 at 12:31pm
Originally posted by Malc London Malc London wrote:

Originally posted by J.R. J.R. wrote:

Budgens carpark is supposed to be for Budgens customers. I know people think it's a free village car park but it's not.

4 hour limit on budgens carpark, i don't know how strict it's enforced.there is a bloke there from euro car parks.
Chalfont Snapper
Chalfont Snapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Malc London Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 October 2010 at 12:36pm
I thought it was 90 minutes
phisch21 View Drop Down
Chalfont Oracle
Chalfont Oracle

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phisch21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 October 2010 at 10:14am
I never park in the precinct. I always use Church Rd and never have any need to stay more than an hour. I like the idea of a pedestrianised square though. Maybe a more trendy cafe is needed as the others are a little soulless. Would it not be better to provide disabled parking on Market Place - ie close to the majority of shops?

@chillies - maybe you are interested in stocking my range of produce? PM me for more information

Edited by phisch21 - 27 October 2010 at 2:12pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>