FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedjamies school dinners

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Chalfontonian
Chalfontonian

Direct Link To This Post Topic: jamies school dinners
    Posted: 23 February 2005 at 10:27pm
37p a head and you give them cr"p,maybe it's all the cr"p in cheap prossed sh*t that sends them round the bend and turns them into chavs.
Sponsored Links

pierre View Drop Down
Chalfont Star
Chalfont Star

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 February 2005 at 10:31pm

Tell us about a typical weeks menu, Chris, I haven't eaten a school meal since 1974.

Helen View Drop Down
Chalfont Star
Chalfont Star

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 February 2005 at 11:12pm
my no 2 goes to holy cross 180. per term the menus are lovely and great choice
Nimmy View Drop Down
Villager
Villager

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 February 2005 at 7:59am

I thought it was really interesting. I do worry about what kids eat, but half the time its what the parents give them. I know grown men who won't eat vegetables. I mean what's that all about!

chris View Drop Down
Chalfontonian
Chalfontonian

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 February 2005 at 8:57am
Originally posted by pierre pierre wrote:

Tell us about a typical weeks menu, Chris, I haven't eaten a school meal since 1974.

err,i don't do school meals.

but it's chips and chips...

watsy View Drop Down
Chalfont Admin
Chalfont Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 February 2005 at 9:00am
I watched the last half hour and I caught the 37pence - is it possible to serve good quality food for 37pence?  Next weeks should be interesting when I think he goes in to a school and find out if kids actually know what a vegetable is.
Jenny View Drop Down
Chalfont Star
Chalfont Star

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 February 2005 at 9:22am
I like the bit where Jamie was chatting to the kids and asking them what food they ate. One of the girls said she had chips every day at school and then went home and had chips for dinner (At least she is consistant )
big baggles View Drop Down
Chalfont Snapper
Chalfont Snapper

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 February 2005 at 9:38am
my mum also worked in the catering industry, she ocvered alot of private schools, Sherborne in dorset, Queen annes in caversham, and Eton, needless to say they were not fed for pence per day it was pounds, they were getting salmon, beef stroganoff, pasta, and risotto, and a good varied diet and good quality ingredients and this was 8 years ago !
need a stella and i need one now !
Martyc View Drop Down
Villager
Villager

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 February 2005 at 11:37am

I work for one of the major catering contractors for school foods. Its just one element of our business, but a reasonably large one.

Did all of you know that we are paid by the government just 33p per day for a school child, yet prisoners are allocated 57p by the government.???

The suppliers always get a pasting in the press regarding school food and its lack of goodness, but believe me if you see what I do, the supply chain providers and the catering companies really do try and make a lot of the school food as good for you as possible.

We have spent millions trying to source organic growers, ethnically correct labour, non expoited labour etc for all of our frruit and veg supply chain. Its not cheap to give the kids decent wholesome food. The government seems to think it is though.

At the end of the day, the less money per head, the worse the food will become.

Another great example of this is chicken. We cant purchase it in the uk, as its too expensive. So you import it. (no problem there). But with chicken flu, prices have sky rocketed lately. The government still expects us to provide decent wholesome food including chicken, when its doubled in price. We just cant win either way. So the quality drops, an audit is carried out, maybe its not as good as it could be and our share price drops through the floor. All through factors we cannot affect.

We want to provide better healthier food, and believe me we are trying to, but what could you do for 33p a day?

rant over!

Emsy View Drop Down
Chalfont Star
Chalfont Star

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 February 2005 at 12:01pm

We watched the whole programme, and I think the two key messages for us were:

1) A nutritional analysis was carried out on a typical school dinner. It was severely deficient in vitamin C, and iron, among others, a lack of which can lead to a number of health problems, including diabetes. Thus meals being served to kids in school will not alleviate the pressure on our overloaded health service in future years.

2) When Jamie spent over the council's 37p per head budget he got reprimanded by the headmistress, who informed him that any overspending had to be funded by the school. Therefore the local councils are indirectly responsible for kids eating rubbish, as junk is cheap.

We also debated why kids seem to be preconditioned not to like vegetables. They didn't seem to notice when the vegetables were chopped up and disguised in recipes, but would scrape off evident veg. I remember my mum not letting me get down from the table until I had finished all the green stuff.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>