Forum Home Forum Home > Chalfont St Peter > News and Gossip
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Robbery - Gerrards Cross

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Chalfont Snapper
Chalfont Snapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Malc London Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Robbery - Gerrards Cross
    Posted: 26 January 2007 at 9:59am
Robbery – Gerrards Cross    

Detectives are appealing for information following a robbery in Gerrards Cross.

At around 7.35pm on Monday (22/01) a 53-year-old man walking along the footpath at the end of Station Approach, was approached by two men.

One offender told the man to hand over his laptop. The man replied that he wasn’t carrying one and showed them that his bag only contained papers.

They then told him to hand over his mobile phone and wallet, and one pulled an object from his pocket, leading the man to believe he had a weapon.

The man threw his phone at the pair and ran from the scene.

The offenders are in their late teens to early twenties. One is around 5ft 9ins to 5ft 10ins, and has short hair in ringlets. The second is around 5ft 8ins. Both were wearing dark tracksuits with hooded tops.

Investigating Officer, Det Con Zoe Hardy said: “This is the second similar incident we have had reported to us this month and, although the offenders appear to be different, the methods they have used in the robbery are similar. We are investigating the possibility that there may be a connection.

“I would like to take this opportunity to suggest anyone walking alone carrying items that could be perceived as valuable electrical equipment such as laptops to try to stay in well lit public areas where there are likely to be passers by who may deter an opportunist offender.

“Also, if you can, try and walk with other people. For example if getting off a bus or train, try to stay with others who have got off at the same stop or station. Be aware of anyone around you acting in an unexpected or suspicious manner.”

Anyone with information about the robbery, or who recognises the men from the description is asked to contact Det Con Hardy at Amersham CID on 0845 8 505 505, or if you don’t want to talk to police or give your name, call the Crimestoppers charity on 0800 555 111.

Sponsored Links

Fans View Drop Down
Chalfontonian
Chalfontonian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 January 2007 at 10:53am
Originally posted by Malc London Malc London wrote:

Robbery – Gerrards Cross    

At around 7.35pm on Monday (22/01) a 53-year-old man walking along the footpath at the end of Station Approach, was approached by two men.

“I would like to take this opportunity to suggest anyone walking alone carrying items that could be perceived as valuable electrical equipment such as laptops to try to stay in well lit public areas where there are likely to be passers by who may deter an opportunist offender. 

I would have thought the alternative routes from the station are less well lit / public (the alleyway) than Station Approach!  This seems to be stating the bleedy obvious - wouldn't it help if there were more police around the area in the evenings!  I think this has been mention before!!!!!
Fans View Drop Down
Chalfontonian
Chalfontonian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 January 2007 at 10:53am
Originally posted by Malc London Malc London wrote:

Robbery – Gerrards Cross    

I would have thought the alternative routes from the station are less well lit / public (the alleyway) than Station Approach!  This seems to be stating the bleedy obvious - wouldn't it help if there were more police around the area in the evenings!  I think this has been mentioned before!!!!!
Fans View Drop Down
Chalfontonian
Chalfontonian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 January 2007 at 10:56am
Opps not sure what happened there - why is my writing small?
Wendy View Drop Down
Villager
Villager

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wendy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 January 2007 at 11:45am
The Police were there on Wednesday evening at around 5.45pm.
phisch21 View Drop Down
Chalfont Oracle
Chalfont Oracle

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phisch21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 January 2007 at 11:53am
I used to walk from the station up the footpath opposite the ticket office, then along orchill avenue, and down layters avenue. The whole of my journey was extremely poorly lit - especially the section by Austenwood Common. We can't really expect the police to patrol this whole are, but we should expect lighting. The lights all go out at around 12:30am so the walk then is in pitch darkness. I now drive to work every day which is safer and cheaper in spite of the congestion charge!
Barn Owl View Drop Down
Villager
Villager

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barn Owl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 February 2007 at 9:49am
When we moved to CSP, we were shocked at how poorly lit it is around here - when I was commuting, I started to cycle to the station at GX, but when the clocks changed in October, I felt that my little bike light was so inadequate, and I wasn't safe any more, so I drove instead.

So it's a bit of an environmental issue, and it's ridiculous for the police to say stay in well-lit areas, when they are so few around here!

My hackles always rise when the solution offered by the police is to walk with someone or change your behaviour in some way. Of course everyone must try to keep themselves safe, but sometimes it's not practical and it distracts from the fact that the police and local authority could do more to make the streets safer.

Rant over....for now....

Edited by Barn Owl - 04 February 2007 at 9:49am
 Post Reply Post Reply