Forum Home Forum Home > Chalfont St Peter > Memory Lane
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Craters in the fields

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Chalfont Snapper
Chalfont Snapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MiniEmma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Craters in the fields
    Posted: 03 September 2006 at 5:23pm

I had never noticed them but was recently told that there is a line of small (ish) craters in the fields alongside the A413 from Chalfont St. Giles to Amersham on the left.

I've checked and they are definately there, all the way.  I was told that 'during the war' (not sure which one ) a bomber was being chased by another plane and had to drop its bombs along that stretch in order to go faster.

Has anyone heard this?

100% Free From BMW Parts
Sponsored Links

jessama View Drop Down
Chalfont Oracle
Chalfont Oracle

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jessama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 September 2006 at 9:40pm
Crop circles.  Been there most years for many years.  Jury is out how they get there but I believe people have admitted liability.

Edited by jessama
MiniEmma View Drop Down
Chalfont Snapper
Chalfont Snapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MiniEmma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 September 2006 at 10:06pm
no, nothing like crop circles, actual craters - dips in the ground - they are there all year round
100% Free From BMW Parts
pierre View Drop Down
Chalfont Star
Chalfont Star

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pierre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 September 2006 at 10:28pm

I've cycled along the south bucks way from st giles to amersham and not noticed any craters, or even shallow dips in the ground!

I did get chased by two horses across a field though, and may not have noticed in my haste!!

can you be more specific on their location Emma?

Edited by pierre
Perveyor of crap knob jokes since 2007.
jake View Drop Down
Chalfont Star
Chalfont Star

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 September 2006 at 12:18am
are you boasting again pierre, i hope they were female horses
pierre View Drop Down
Chalfont Star
Chalfont Star

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pierre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 September 2006 at 1:35am

horses and hounds!!! thats all I ever get!!

Perveyor of crap knob jokes since 2007.
Grovesy View Drop Down
NAG Moderator
NAG Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grovesy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 September 2006 at 7:02am
http://www.amersham.org.uk/ww2/

Tihs site is quite interesting - describing Amersham in WW2, it does mention some trenches that were dug near rectory woods, it also mentions bombs that were dropped, but none in the location mentioned by miniemma...that's not to say tey aren't there though.
Garry View Drop Down
Villager
Villager

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Garry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 September 2006 at 10:35am
Apparently it was a 2nd world war aircraft returning to RAF Halton near Wendover and the aircraft was badly damaged so it unloaded its remaining bombs in the fields so it could land safely.
jake View Drop Down
Chalfont Star
Chalfont Star

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 September 2006 at 3:57pm

The Radio Chemicals centre / Amersham plc now part of GE Health Care

In 1940 a company was set up on White Lion Road to make luminous paint based on radium. This site grew and after the war formed the basis of the Radiochemical Centre, which in turn became Amersham plc, now part of GE Health Care. The complex along with other sites in the area is now one of the areas largest employers. Although having been created during the War, the centre has moved its focus into the medical industry.
timo_w2s View Drop Down
Chalfontonian
Chalfontonian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timo_w2s Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 September 2006 at 4:15pm
Originally posted by jake jake wrote:

Although having been created during the War, the centre has moved its focus into the medical industry.

I feel the same. How dare they try and make sick people better.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>