Forum Home Forum Home > Chalfont St Peter > Memory Lane
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tales Of Chalfont

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 13>
Author
Sandbox
Sandbox

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote schul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 March 2009 at 4:45pm
oh how good were those days i used to love feast day as it was called then 1960s it fell mostly on the 24th of june and the carnival queen would ride in the white swan with her princess on the back of a randells or dodds lorry they great daysBig%20smile
flower
Sponsored Links

tobic View Drop Down
Chalfont Snapper
Chalfont Snapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tobic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 March 2009 at 6:47am
Originally posted by Rich Kid Rich Kid wrote:

When I was a kid I won a fancy dress prize in the Feast Day parade that started along the bottom of Gravel Hill, (where Tesco's is now), and finished up on Gold Hill Common. I was dressed as a clown and was reluctant to go up for my prize which was presented by John Laurie!
I'll dig the picture out and post it.
Hurry up and post it then, RK, it may give me a clue as to who you are  ??

Condoms should be used on every conceivable occasion.
Grovesy View Drop Down
NAG Moderator
NAG Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grovesy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 March 2009 at 11:38am
Well, you'll be glad to know that Feast Day is coming back to the common this year...June 27th

"Never doubt that a small, group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."
MARGARET MEAD
Roy B View Drop Down
Villager
Villager

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 July 2009 at 10:46pm
I have just opened a photo frame to scan an old photo that is inside. I was quite amazed to find a copy of the Buckinhamshire Advertiser inside as backing paper. It is dated Friday April 25 1952. It has a few stories but one of interest is a Light aeroplane crashing at Whan Cross, Chalfont St Peter (presumably now Chalfont Heights Scout Camp).

Ernest Clarke a 23 year old Gerrards Cross Porter from Chalfont St Peter is mentioned for 'borrowing a car for a ride around on his day off.'

One for Dan Webb - There is a picture of Learie Constantine and John Arlott at the Chalfont St Peter Footbal and Supporters Clubs Annual Dinner.

Quite interesting.

Roy
girl@austenwood View Drop Down
Local
Local

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote girl@austenwood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 January 2010 at 6:05pm
ahh Tythe Barn. Felt sooooooo grown up belonging to a 'Youth Club' Unfortunately  ...not so 'grown up' when myself and two commrades were dismissed for letting off stink bombs. Naughty Naughty.Nuke
girl@austenwood View Drop Down
Local
Local

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote girl@austenwood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 January 2010 at 6:14pm
Feast day was really something in those days as was the bonfire and fireworks on Gold hill.
oldchris View Drop Down
Chalfont Oracle
Chalfont Oracle

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldchris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 January 2010 at 7:08pm
i used to play five a side on the concrete round the back on thursday evenings in the early 80's, more like, a kicking lumps out of each other game than football.LOL
dot poleykett View Drop Down
Local
Local

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dot poleykett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 December 2013 at 11:02pm
I remember Guests I think there was a photo studio above it.
Bucks Fizz View Drop Down
Chalfontonian
Chalfontonian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bucks Fizz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 December 2013 at 8:05am
Dan - did you write your book? Or is this thread dead now? If you are still compiling it, you might want to have a look at the 2 volumes of 'Famous and Infamous Residents of Chalfont St Peter' by local author DJ Kelly. They were on sale at our bookshop, though that has closed down now, but should be available via the internet. Included are local crooks and highwaymen and even the local convicted spy.

Kelly's new book: 'The Chalfonts & Gerrards Cross at War' is due to be published next month. This includes many folks' wartime memories and their parents' and grandparents' experiences in WW1 etc., and living memories of what life was like in our villages before, after and between the two world wars. Hopefully, it'll be on sale in GX bookshop.

Also, the local history and heritage group (The Celfunde Inheritance) holds mornings at the CSP community Library on the 1st Saturday of each month when local folks pop in to chat about their memories of the village and bring along old photos and documents to be scanned, and artefacts for discussion. The Celfunde Inheritance also publish books and articles (in Bucks Advertiser) based on folks memories. Next session at the library is on Sat 4 January 1000 am till 1pm.
oldchris View Drop Down
Chalfont Oracle
Chalfont Oracle

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldchris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 December 2013 at 4:14pm
Originally posted by CASE CASE wrote:

i'm ex gravel hill..1975....1982
So was i ,75-82.
stop HS2.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 13>