Forum Home Forum Home > Chalfont St Peter > News and Gossip
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedHoly Cross to close?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 13>
Author
Chalfont Admin
Chalfont Admin

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Holy Cross to close?
    Posted: 01 February 2006 at 10:37am

Apparently funding has been withdrawn from the Holy Cross school by the organisation in Switzerland that own it (or something along those lines). Anyone know any more than this?

I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I'm with isn't it, and what's it seems scary and weird.
Sponsored Links

Fans View Drop Down
Chalfontonian
Chalfontonian

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 February 2006 at 1:00pm
Yes, apparently, the order the nuns belong to are moving them out and therefore withdrawing the funding, this summer and the school will not be able to afford to keep running.  I heard there is 26 acres there - so possibly the value of the land has something to do with it, although it could just be that there arn't many nuns left there now and none which teach anymore so it is no longer viable to keep such a large place and subsidise a school.  It is a shame I have plenty of unhappy memories there at the hands of the nuns! Although I do feel sorry for them as many have lived & taught there for decades.
DanW View Drop Down
Chalfont Admin
Chalfont Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 February 2006 at 1:30pm
I wonder if the developers at the NSE will come swarming down the hill instead now?

Edited by DanW
I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I'm with isn't it, and what's it seems scary and weird.
Wolfie View Drop Down
Chalfontonian
Chalfontonian

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 February 2006 at 1:47pm

AS you know we live opposite here, but we were told when we bought the house that the Convent was on protected green belt land so our view is protected.  Looks like I'd better check this out. 

Are there enough schools locally to take all the kids?

Would the parents be prepared to raise monies, and turn this into a fee paying school?

Jenny View Drop Down
Chalfont Star
Chalfont Star

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 February 2006 at 1:48pm
I thought the parents already had to pay fees
No one really cares if you are miserable so you might was well be happy. (Cynthia Nelms)
Wolfie View Drop Down
Chalfontonian
Chalfontonian

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 February 2006 at 1:56pm
Oh maybe they do Jenny, I wasn't sure.    Helen would know, seeing her later so will find out (Helern's broadband has gone capput again).
Fans View Drop Down
Chalfontonian
Chalfontonian

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 February 2006 at 1:58pm
It is fee paying!  And from what I remember when I was there it wasn't much cheaper than the other local private girls schools, but now the classes are much smaller maybe the Swiss Catholic Order have been having to subsidize it more or maybe as there are far less nuns, none of which now teach, the cost per head to keep it running just for the few nuns to live there is too high. 
local View Drop Down
Newcomer
Newcomer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 February 2006 at 9:56pm
I am in a postion to know about Holy Cross.  It is NOT closing.  It is NOT funded from Switzerland.  It is a fee paying school.  There is only one sister teaching at the school part-time.  The sisters withdrew from running the school directly about 1997.  The sisters are withdrawing from the board of Trustees.  They have no plans as yet to leave the site.  The school will continue as normal and it has just opened a lovely creche which is filling up fast.
DanW View Drop Down
Chalfont Admin
Chalfont Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 February 2006 at 8:18am
Excellent news, thanks.
Newbie View Drop Down
Newcomer
Newcomer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 February 2006 at 9:02am
I've heard that the rumours are completely unfounded.  The only truth is that the nuns have withdrawn.  The parents at the school are incredible and are putting up a fight to make sure it stays open.  They've been giving out fliers and photocopying this morning's newspaper article to hand out as well, so it seems clear that they intend to do something about it all.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 13>