Topic ClosedHi

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Newcomer
Newcomer

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hi
    Posted: 08 January 2006 at 9:45pm

Hi,

I'm looking at moving to the area and trying to get as much info as possible.Seeing as available time (work,family etc) is sparse at the moment,perhaps some of you might be able to assist in giving me the lowdown on Schools (infants at the moment),Commuting to the West End,Local plus/minus factors and favoured areas to live.

Don't wanna' start a 'forum domestic' on the favoured schools/Roads subject,so feel free to PM if need be !

By the way,welcomed feedback on any of the above would assist in getting my wife's head around moving........Me personally,I'd like feedback on any of the local establishments recommended for a libation !

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links

Malc London View Drop Down
Chalfont Snapper
Chalfont Snapper

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 January 2006 at 10:30am

Hi Boomer

Firstly, we have a number of estate agents. Here is one to give you an idea of house prices. http://www.bramptons.co.uk/sales.htm

There are also a number of good local schools but I'll let others put forward their merits.

We also have a number of public houses, (seven and one being refurbished) catering for all types.

There are good local shops, 3 banks and a post office. You can get almost anything you need in the village.

We are close to London but still have a village feel and a good community spirit and despite attemps by some ruthless property developers, we are still surrounded by green belt land.

Public transport isn't too good, there is a local bus service to Uxvbridge and the Chiltern Line runs from Gerrards Cross into Marylebone. The service is so good, if the train is late it's more likely your watch is wrong.

Road links are very good, with the M40/A40 and M25 close but far enough away.

It's a great place to live. 

DanW View Drop Down
Chalfont Admin
Chalfont Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 January 2006 at 10:52am

All the schools are very good - after all, I went to Lovel End and the C of E Middle School and it didn't do me any harm!

Transport into London is excellent - either from GX (1 mile away) into Marylebone (25 mins) or the cheaper option of going from Chalfont & Latimer (5 miles away) which is on the Metropolitan line.

The pubs are quite varied, what with the Dumb Bell, Waggon & Horses, Greyhound, White Hart, Poachers, Village Hall and Three Pigeons - and the George which is (still) being renovated - all offering something different.

I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I'm with isn't it, and what's it seems scary and weird.
Boomer View Drop Down
Newcomer
Newcomer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 January 2006 at 12:14pm

Thanks for the feedback !

Details that i've had from local agents categorise both Gold Hill and Chalfont Common properties..........I've driven around the gold hill area and only viewed maps of the 'Chalfont' side. In relation to the village centre,is the Chalfont Common area a hike or comfortable walk to it's facilities ?Or does it have shops of it's own ?

I wasn't aware of the area having 7 pubs,not that i'm a PA but I shall give them a try one at a time whilst having a look around !!

Chalfont Snapper
Chalfont Snapper

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 January 2006 at 12:46pm

There is quite a distance between 2 of the pubs on opposite sides of the village.  As for GX being a mile away, that depends where you are starting out from.

The Chalfont common area is not too far to walk back to the village and there are one or two little shops selling groceries and necessities.

Click on this link to get an idea of what's around http://www.chalfontstpeter.com/cspmap/CSP2005.html

Chalfont Snapper
Chalfont Snapper

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 January 2006 at 12:48pm

And links to some photos of the Chalfont Common side

http://www.chalfontstpeter.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=259 &PN=2

Edited by Malc London
Boomer View Drop Down
Newcomer
Newcomer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 January 2006 at 11:10pm
Thanks for the input DanW and Malc London,much appreciated.......I shall get there at the weekend to have a further look around !
Chalfont Snapper
Chalfont Snapper

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 January 2006 at 8:36am

Don't forget there is only 2 hours parking in the precinct, haven't seen the clampers lately but that doesn't mean they have gone away.

Church Lane is pay and display or you might find a space down one of the side roads off Market Place.

Boomer View Drop Down
Newcomer
Newcomer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 January 2006 at 11:22pm

I'll bear that in mind,thanks

By the way,what's the favoured commute Gerrards Cross or Chalfont and Latimer ?

Chalfont Snapper
Chalfont Snapper

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 January 2006 at 8:56am

Gerards Cross will get you to Marylebone Station in about 30 minutes and from there you can get to Baker Street.  An alternative is to go from GX and change at West Ruislip or South Ruislip onto the Central Line.

I have never used Chalfont and Latimer, it's too far away.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>