Forum Home Forum Home > Chalfont St Peter > News and Gossip
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedfish van in csp.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Chalfont Star
Chalfont Star

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 March 2005 at 1:53pm
I take it you're an expert at "filleting" then?
They say Kesey's dead; But never trust a prankster;even underground.
Sponsored Links

big baggles View Drop Down
Chalfont Snapper
Chalfont Snapper

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 March 2005 at 2:00pm

yup there is not alot i have not processed skinned or filleted over the years !- it was a few years ago but its one of those things you dont forget, - can do anything from fillet whole salmon to skin dover sole or skate to dress crab, we also did the unusual stuff like tope a member of the shark family fished off the UK waters- when you get one of those at 10 feet long you need big knives and 2 blokes to lift it...

we also did eel, octopus, squid , monkfish, and all the usual stuff,  like i say it was many years ago- but it was good money then, cold wet and smelling of blood !

need a stella and i need one now !
chris View Drop Down
Chalfontonian
Chalfontonian

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 March 2005 at 2:06pm
Originally posted by big baggles big baggles wrote:

the van parks up on the corner by richard adams the chemist...i spent 3 years when a student in a fish processing plant filleting fish and stuff for the supermarkets and stores, fresh fish should not smell ' bad' in any way, if you buy fish do not leave it in a plastic bag in the fridge... greaseproof paper is better, it needs to ' breathe' any smell like ammonia and its off........smoked fish sometimes smells a bit... as alot of the yellow colouring is dye and these chemicals have odours and taint the fish, just ensure if you buy whole wet fish that the eyes are bright and clear... any cloudyness like a cataract then walk away, the gills should be a good blood red colour, not a pasty washed out pink.... filleted fish should have good shiny supple skin, if it creases as the fillet is handled then it has been round a while..... cod if it is really fresh may have small tiny ' lice' on the skin side, abouit the size of a grain of rice, and light brown in colour, these only attatch themselves to good fresh fish, if the fish in the fish shop display has them then its very fresh..... you get similar lice on salmon, the ones that go for salmon are the size and colour of a lentil !- if the fish is not fresh these harmless lice fall off,  so if they are present its a good sign.... honest !

i know all that,thanks anyway,i was going to take it back,stupid i should of have checked before i got it but the smell from crusties got in the way...but he's only there mornings so i did not have time,it will go towards my fish pie tonight i think.

i'll make a nice fish velout'e and soft boiled eggs.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123