FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedCritical illness cover

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Chalfont Snapper
Chalfont Snapper

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Critical illness cover
    Posted: 22 February 2005 at 2:58pm

By the way, has everyone got critical life assurance? Have you ever wondered what might happen if you couldn't work through illness or injury?

Sponsored Links

Jenny View Drop Down
Chalfont Star
Chalfont Star

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 February 2005 at 3:21pm
Originally posted by Malc London Malc London wrote:

By the way, has everyone got critical life assurance? Have you ever wondered what might happen if you couldn't work through illness or injury?

It would depend on the illness suffered and on the policy that you have. The majority of 'critical illness' policies are designed to only make one lump sum payment (often used to pay off a mortgage) in the event of a critical illness (long list of definitions of critical illnesses in your policy documents). If you wanted a policy that would repalce part of your income in the event that you were unable to work (i.e. give you a regular monthly sum) you would probably be best to take out an Income Protection policy.

I know that may sound very confusing so it may be best to talk to a qualified Independent Financial Adviser.

Edited by Jenny
Fivelive View Drop Down
Villager
Villager

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 February 2005 at 3:37pm
I've got disability/income protection/injury insurance
through Allied Dunbar but I always worry it won't
pay out when something actually happens. Costs
me about £130 a month. Sometimes I feel like
getting injured on purpose!
big baggles View Drop Down
Chalfont Snapper
Chalfont Snapper

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 February 2005 at 4:16pm

i think this in now termed as critical illness , not critical life malc..... as jenny states -but yes i do have cover thanks....

Edited by big baggles
need a stella and i need one now !
Wolfie View Drop Down
Chalfontonian
Chalfontonian

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 February 2005 at 4:32pm

Hi Malc

As Jenny says, Critical Illness policy gives you a lump sum on diagnosis (watch out cos loads of illnesses are not covered).

Income Protection or Permanent Health Insurance is what insures your salary and you choose at what stage you wish it to kick in, i.e. defer the payment until after 4 weeks of being unable to work, or 8 weeks, or 12 or 16.  The longer you defer the payment the cheaper the premium.  YOu should check your employers policy on how long they pay you for (if at all), and tie this insurance in with that - unless of course you're looking to insure your income from your Private Detective Agency work rather than the place you work most of the time!

Also, be very careful about the wording on the policy.  Some policies refer to your not being able to do 'your current job', which means they could default on the payout because they'd say you were well enough to go work in Woollies for instance.   The best policy to have is one that says 'unable to do your current or any job'. 

Re: Critical Illness - some policies are for whole of life and some not.  Meaning if you claimed on the policy, you would get your lump sum and then the policy is cancelled.  So if you wanted to reinsure yourself for any other eventuality after that, the premium would a) be much higher cos you're that much older than when you took the first policy out, and b) you'd have a pre-existing condition on file to take into account.

PM me if you want more info - though I'm not an expert.

Have you not hijacked the Forum Meet topic?

Like the new avatar Malc - very appropriate.

Edited by Jill
Malc London View Drop Down
Chalfont Snapper
Chalfont Snapper

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 February 2005 at 4:32pm

I knew I could count on you Baggles!

big baggles View Drop Down
Chalfont Snapper
Chalfont Snapper

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 February 2005 at 4:39pm

me,I'm well insured, i am sure the wife is planning to have me bunked off !

some of the critical illness policies will also give out a lump sum and then a regular smaller income, as Jill says check the wording, mine pays off the mortgage and then gives me about 50% of current monthly income... for a predetermined time, i think max 10 years.....but this does cost me about £150 a month.... the company health scheme allows me to be unable to do my job for 5 years, on 90% of salary then i get medically retired, but i need to be unable to do my job through specified life threatening ilnness or through accident or injury whilst at work, or going to and from work....

its a good company scheme ,topped up with my own policy, arranged through chalfont investments / insurance in GX ......

Edited by big baggles
need a stella and i need one now !
chris View Drop Down
Chalfontonian
Chalfontonian

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 February 2005 at 9:07pm
i've got this,its called the DHSS.
Eddie View Drop Down
Chalfont Star
Chalfont Star

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 February 2005 at 10:08pm

I just spend my life on here doing Word Association Malc !
They say Kesey's dead; But never trust a prankster;even underground.
Helen View Drop Down
Chalfont Star
Chalfont Star

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 February 2005 at 10:18pm
chris is right i had private health care and loads of policys, then when i was ill because i am diabetic and had a tumur they put the claim to do with something from previous illness so they did not pay out. these policys are ok if you wont to get in a bit quicker or get a biscuit with your cup of tea. apart from that if you are ill i have found the national health service second to none. if you need it fast you get. and if you wont a nice room pay then because how oftern do we really need it compared to the amount you pay each month.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>