Author
Chalfont Star
Chalfont Star

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Councils ’must find Gypsy sites’
    Posted: 28 January 2005 at 11:55am
Councils 'must find Gypsy sites'
Travellers site
Unauthorised encampments are potentially avoidable, say MPs
Ministers are telling councils to find more sites for travellers, amid continuing rows concerning a string of unauthorised encampments.

Councils are also to be given stronger powers to move on illegal settlements by Gypsy communities on rural land.

More money is to be given to councils to develop official caravan parks, said housing minister Yvette Cooper.

In November, MPs urged ministers to make councils create sites because 3,500 travellers have no place to stop.

Ms Cooper said an annual scheme to refurbish existing traveller sites would now be extended to consider council bids for new stopping places. That scheme has paid out £25m in four years, with £8m available for 2005.

Living on the side of the road or being worn down by planning appeals, legal action and eviction is no one's idea of fun
Andrew Ryder, Traveller Law Reform Coalition

"There are two major problems in the planning system at the moment concerning Gypsy and traveller sites," said Ms Cooper.

"Firstly, local authorities are not identifying enough appropriate locations either for private or public sites. And secondly, they do not have enough powers to deal swiftly with development on inappropriate sites.

"The result is that there are too many developments on inappropriate sites, causing tensions and difficulties for both the neighbouring communities and the Gypsies and travellers.

"That is why we are consulting on a new obligation on local authorities to identify more appropriate sites, as well as new powers to take immediate action if the development is in the wrong place and cannot be tolerated in even the short-term because of risk to local amenity and the environment."

Under the new regulations, expected to be in force in the spring, officials will be able to serve "temporary stop notices" aimed at preventing works on a site before a council has had chance to obtain a full legal ban.

Many MPs with rural constituencies, particularly in eastern England, have been pressing the government to create stronger enforcement powers, saying villagers are suffering because of the legal delays in removing illegal encampments.

Decision welcomed

Andrew Ryder, of the Traveller Law Reform Coalition, said: "We welcome talk about an obligation on councils to identify land for Gypsies and travellers, so long as it is a real obligation as opposed to a recommendation which could be and was easily ignored.

"New accommodation proposals for travellers need to be backed up with decent funding and intervention by the government when councils attempt to dodge their responsibilities towards travellers, as they often do.

"Living on the side of the road or being worn down by planning appeals, legal action and eviction is no one's idea of fun."

In their November report, MPs from the committee scrutinising the Office for the Deputy Prime Minister, responsible for housing, said most illegal traveller encampments were caused by a lack of places to stop.

Numerous communities and councils were paying for lengthy and expensive evictions against travelling communities, said the MPs. In turn, the problems had worsened because councils were reluctant to voluntarily provide sites because of resistance from residents.

Two of the most controversial traveller sites - Cottenham in Cambridgeshire and Minety in Wiltshire - remain embroiled in an ongoing legal battle.

(from BBC news)

Edited by Eddie
They say Kesey's dead; But never trust a prankster;even underground.
Sponsored Links

chris View Drop Down
Chalfontonian
Chalfontonian

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 January 2005 at 12:06pm
i know where i would like to stick them.
tobic View Drop Down
Chalfont Snapper
Chalfont Snapper

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 January 2005 at 12:19pm

Why MUST councils find gypsy sites.......???

If gypsies Choose to live this way, they choose not to pay rates and taxes, they choose to live on the cheap.........

They must then honour the wishes of local landowners and councils who wish Not to have them on there land....the world does NOT owe them a living...

The sooner they are brought into line with the rest of society ,the better..........

Condoms should be used on every conceivable occasion.
Henry View Drop Down
Chalfont Oracle
Chalfont Oracle

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 January 2005 at 1:56pm

Most councils have sites for them (wormwood, dartmoor, pentoville etc.)

Your right Tobic, well said.

I think I will choose the life of a millionaire, the council must provide suitable accomodation and lifestyle for me to live as a millionaire.

Edited by Henry
Keep the green belt green
Rachael View Drop Down
Villager
Villager

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 January 2005 at 10:04am
The Gypsy's are nothing but trouble, there is quite a few of them now in the village so be careful.
RBWH
big baggles View Drop Down
Chalfont Snapper
Chalfont Snapper

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 January 2005 at 9:08am

what about the gypsy site the bucks cc did build on the amersham road out of beaconsfield, with  clean water facilities, sewerage facilities and all, - they smashed it up filled it with rubbish, ripped out all the plumbing works to sell the copper pipes left it in a state and cleared off...

i have no time for these peoples,  the true romany gypsies are being outnumbered by tax dodging , criminal  lazy  sods who layabout all day, do a bit of nicking in the evening and drink all night and they are the 'traveller' scum......

send em back to where they came from, and you know where they come from their accents give it away !

need a stella and i need one now !
tobic View Drop Down
Chalfont Snapper
Chalfont Snapper

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 January 2005 at 11:06am
fight fire with fire................I am sure a few petrol bombs in the right place on a dark night would send out a strong message........and i am sure the police would turn a blind eye.........Dont you know a good hit man, Malc.........???

Condoms should be used on every conceivable occasion.
Jenny View Drop Down
Chalfont Star
Chalfont Star

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 January 2005 at 1:00pm
Originally posted by big baggles big baggles wrote:

i have no time for these peoples,  the true romany gypsies are being outnumbered by tax dodging , criminal  lazy  sods who layabout all day, do a bit of nicking in the evening and drink all night and they are the 'traveller' scum......

I think it is a shame that those people who call themselves 'Gypsies' are giving such a bad name to true Gypsies (those of Romany origin). Romany Gypsies very rarely cause any trouble, live with the environment rahter than landing on it and then destroying it.

Malc London View Drop Down
Chalfont Snapper
Chalfont Snapper

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 January 2005 at 1:33pm

Just a reminder to people not to get too emotive and not to confuse Gypsies (who are subject to race relation laws) with Travellers (who are not).

The police should act against any traveller who is breaking the law and ensure their vehicles are fully licenced, insured and MOT'd.

The police did a good job last year in recovering a lot of stolen property at an illegal travellers site in Chalfont and hopefully will continue to monitor the position and act accordingly.

Helen View Drop Down
Chalfont Star
Chalfont Star

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 January 2005 at 4:31pm
This is a very difficult subject and i really think that there will never be a solution to the general problem. There are some that use the shop and pay and are very nice, but when there seems to be a wedding or funneral or family gathering you get the harden ones who come in and steal, are very rude and aggresive i have had a number of "run ins" and mainly they try and intimidate you as people generally do not like confrontation, but i find if you are straight up and take no crap they generally leave you alone. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>