Forum Home Forum Home > Chalfont St Peter > Memory Lane
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Cinema GX

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Villager
Villager

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Butterfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cinema GX
    Posted: 07 November 2013 at 12:13pm
I went to the cinema yesterday and they have a lovely display of photos celebrating the 88 years since its opening.  What a shame that the 'local' paper hasn't pick up this story or perhaps I missed it.
My granny took me to see many wonderful films there like High Society and Oklahoma plus a yummy tub of icecream during the interval!!
Sponsored Links

phisch21 View Drop Down
Chalfont Oracle
Chalfont Oracle

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phisch21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 November 2013 at 1:01pm
GX cinema is great and seems to be growing in popularity. It must have been under threat a few years ago but thankfully the local people (and some of the prices) keep it profitable. I remember the 80s when VHS was invented and cinema was meant to be killed off. Shame the old cinema in Beaconsfield was not returned to its former glory and instead has become another bland pizza chain. The Regal in Uxbridge also got killed off and it now a nightclub I think
foodfrom4.com
Matty View Drop Down
Villager
Villager

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 November 2013 at 4:46pm
I remember seeing Greace at gx !
oldchris View Drop Down
Chalfont Oracle
Chalfont Oracle

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldchris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 November 2013 at 3:34pm
I remember sneeking in to see Jaws, 77 i think?
stop HS2.
oldchris View Drop Down
Chalfont Oracle
Chalfont Oracle

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldchris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 November 2013 at 3:35pm
Originally posted by phisch21 phisch21 wrote:

GX cinema is great and seems to be growing in popularity. It must have been under threat a few years ago but thankfully the local people (and some of the prices) keep it profitable. I remember the 80s when VHS was invented and cinema was meant to be killed off. Shame the old cinema in Beaconsfield was not returned to its former glory and instead has become another bland pizza chain. The Regal in Uxbridge also got killed off and it now a nightclub I think

Regals has been a nightclub for about 30 years.
stop HS2.
hissing sid View Drop Down
Chalfont Oldie
Chalfont Oldie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hissing sid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 November 2013 at 11:54pm
Originally posted by Matty Matty wrote:

I remember seeing Greace at gx !

I remember sitting in dirt and greace at the fle pit
Hissing Sid

It's a free country, adopt whatever PC stance you want. Just don't tell me which stance I should take just because it clashes with your opinion.

dot poleykett View Drop Down
Local
Local

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dot poleykett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 April 2014 at 4:00pm
I remember the good old days when we used to sit on the side in the winter and put our feet on the hot pipes. And having to rush out before The
Queen" to catch the 305a that went accross gold hill common.

Rich Kid View Drop Down
Chalfont Snapper
Chalfont Snapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 April 2014 at 9:34am
I remember seeing, with a couple of friends, Alfred Hitchcock's 'Physco' at GX cinema (called the Essoldo then?). As it was an A rated film we got an 'adult' to buy us tickets!
Buy the cheapest and once in move up towards the better more expensive seats. In those days it was of course just the one screen.
Sparkle View Drop Down
Villager
Villager

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparkle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 April 2014 at 10:28am
I seem to remember it just being called The picture house, or maybe the playhouse.
Rich Kid View Drop Down
Chalfont Snapper
Chalfont Snapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 April 2014 at 11:10pm
Originally posted by Sparkle Sparkle wrote:

I seem to remember it just being called The picture house, or maybe the playhouse.

Yes, you're right Sparkle.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>