Forum Home Forum Home > Chalfont St Peter > News and Gossip
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Church Lane Car Park

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 10>
Author
Chalfont Oracle
Chalfont Oracle

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jessama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 November 2006 at 5:34pm

I have certainly noticed the difference since parking charges were introduced and now never have any difficulty in finding a space.  It is no doubt due to those who drive into the village to work parking elswhere but I do wonder where they now park.  All these charges and taxes (eg congestion charge) seem to be a deterent to people going about their daily work and business.

Sponsored Links

Paul_G View Drop Down
Chalfontonian
Chalfontonian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul_G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 November 2006 at 6:15pm

Originally posted by Dave-R Dave-R wrote:

No one that works for any council has any common sense what so ever! These people live in cloud cockoo land!

With stuff like this you have a point!

Originally posted by jessama jessama wrote:

All these charges and taxes (eg congestion charge) seem to be a deterent to people going about their daily work and business.

Yup!

And as aforesaid, we paid for this through council tax, so now "double-dipped".  It's bo11ocks really, isn't it?

I still hate my council!

Paul

Dave-R View Drop Down
Chalfont Star
Chalfont Star

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave-R Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 November 2006 at 6:22pm
Originally posted by Paul_G Paul_G wrote:

No one that works for any council has any common sense what so ever! These people live in cloud cockoo land!

With stuff like this you have a point!

To be honest i only wrote that as a playful dig at a certain friend of mine on here who works for the council!

jake View Drop Down
Chalfont Star
Chalfont Star

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 November 2006 at 8:07pm
Originally posted by Malc London Malc London wrote:

If we have to lose the free hour, then how about making the charges more geared for short term parking.

30p for 1 hour  (Currently Free)

70 for up to 2 hours (Currently £1)

amershsm and chesham charge

40p for 1 hour

and £1 for 2 hours

Steve View Drop Down
Chalfont Snapper
Chalfont Snapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 November 2006 at 10:45pm

how many spaces does church lane car park hold. should be easy to calculate how much per hour 27K works out for each car. Dan has said about the possibility of buying the car park from the council, I said in an old thread that the car park was once the old rectory and was not sure how the council come to own it.but what ever the council obviously fully intend use car parks as a nice income 

Always remember that you're unique. Just like everyone else.
moggies View Drop Down
Chalfont Star
Chalfont Star

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moggies Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 November 2006 at 10:50pm
Originally posted by jessama jessama wrote:

I have certainly noticed the difference since parking charges were introduced and now never have any difficulty in finding a space.  It is no doubt due to those who drive into the village to work parking elswhere but I do wonder where they now park.  All these charges and taxes (eg congestion charge) seem to be a deterent to people going about their daily work and business.

I too noticed a significant increase in spaces once the charges were intorduced. But I feel that this is not going to encourage people to parkand shop in CSP and could therefore adversely affect all the local shops and businesses. I suspect even keeping just one hour as free would be bad for business.

And what about the parents collecting their children from the middle school? They will still drive anyway, so would it be preferable for them to park in the car park for 15 minutes or all over the place, causing even more mayhem at 3.30? They cannot be expected to pay for a ticket twice a day! And yes, the ticket man always does the car park at 3.30 to target them. Would villagers prefer parents to park on the double yellows instead, where they can stay all day, like Kerry Foods man?

Still don't know what I want to do when I grow up...
DanW View Drop Down
Chalfont Admin
Chalfont Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DanW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 November 2006 at 8:25am
Originally posted by Wolfie Wolfie wrote:

I thought the point of introducing charges in Church Lane was to stop it being full up of people who worked in the village, and therefore there not being enough spaces for shoppers.  £3 for the whole day isn't going to deter most workers.  It should be racked up once you get past 5 or 6 hours, no shoppers would need to stop that long, and workers might be deterred at that point.

Nope, the idea of charging was because CDC decided to harmonise what every car park charge should be. This meant that instead of paying £23k for all day round free parking, it cost £25k just for one hour.

One of the problems with it being free was people met up there then got in one car and went to GX station. These people now park down Lower Road.
I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I'm with isn't it, and what's it seems scary and weird.
big baggles View Drop Down
Chalfont Snapper
Chalfont Snapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote big baggles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 November 2006 at 8:40am

or in the vale, or churchfield road, or lovel road, or glebe road or anywhere close to the village centre.....

will the community centre car park still be free... ?

need a stella and i need one now !
Jenny View Drop Down
Chalfont Star
Chalfont Star

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jenny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 November 2006 at 8:48am

These people do not WORK for the council they are volunteers who stand for election. If you really have a problem with them why not put your money (or more importantly your time) where your mouth is and stand for election. So few people are willing to stand for election for the Parish Council that moist people woh stand get in unopposed.

Why do people continue to moan about local issues but are unwilling to put the time and effort in to make a difference?
No one really cares if you are miserable so you might was well be happy. (Cynthia Nelms)
Grovesy View Drop Down
NAG Moderator
NAG Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grovesy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 November 2006 at 8:56am

Originally posted by Jenny Jenny wrote:

Why do people continue to moan about local issues but are unwilling to put the time and effort in to make a difference?

Well Said

"Never doubt that a small, group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."
MARGARET MEAD
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 10>