Forum Home Forum Home > Chalfont St Peter > News and Gossip
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Car accident on Nicol Rd. (Thur 22nd)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 9>
Author
Villager
Villager

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lollipop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 February 2007 at 9:23pm
A little OT, I was one of the three lucky people manning the speed indicator on Nicol Road a few weeks back.  I walk along there 2 or 3 times a week and speeding is defo an issue.

Anyway, the position of the speed indicator when we were monitoring was dictated by the police and gave motorists a clear view of us.  My ears and eyes told me that 99% of them slowed down before we could track their speed.  I think we only got a couple - though another was driving so fast that the indicator couldn't catch him! 

Furthermore, it was a Friday afternoon and regrettably we couldn't keep the speed indicator for the full session, so Nicol Road got a bit shortchanged in monitoring.

Never mind the stats, speeding is a problem along there.
... for the peace of my years in the long green grass ...
Sponsored Links

Malc London View Drop Down
Chalfont Snapper
Chalfont Snapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Malc London Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 February 2007 at 11:41pm
perhaps the speed limit needs to be increased then, if the majority of motorists feel the current limit is inadequate.

Jenny View Drop Down
Chalfont Star
Chalfont Star

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jenny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 February 2007 at 8:29am
No! The speed limit is set at 30mph because it is a residencial area. The speed limit should not be increased just because some t**sers decide to speed along there! 
No one really cares if you are miserable so you might was well be happy. (Cynthia Nelms)
Chalfont Snapper
Chalfont Snapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Malc London Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 February 2007 at 9:28am
Maybe not on Nichol Road, but if on some roads the majority of drivers are exceeding the speed limit and still driving safely, then perhaps the speed limit should be increased.

Sarah Booker View Drop Down
Chalfontonian
Chalfontonian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sarah Booker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 February 2007 at 9:32am

All urban roads should be 30mph. It worries me when I see people driving faster along them, because it's so dangerous.

I was frequently worried by nutters driving along Nicol Road, and was nearly hit by someone pulling out from one of the side roads once.
Fortunately I was poodling along at my usual speed, and managed to stop in time. If I had been going any faster, it would have been a thread here.
Feeling fond of Chalfont

Tweet with me
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 February 2007 at 9:47am
I believe its the street lights that dicatate a 30mph limit, unless otherwise stated, in built up areas.
I think Nicol road would benefit from some form of traffic calming measure, preferably right of way chicanes.
Jenny View Drop Down
Chalfont Star
Chalfont Star

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jenny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 February 2007 at 9:53am
Originally posted by Malc London Malc London wrote:

Maybe not on Nichol Road, but if on some roads the majority of drivers are exceeding the speed limit and still driving safely, then perhaps the speed limit should be increased.

Who says they are exceeeding the limit safely?
Are you saying that if people are exceeding the speed limit but there have been no accidents we should increase the speed limit?
Surely by that reckoning we should arbitarily increase the speed limits until there is an accident?
If so lets hope it is not someone you know that is killed in the 'accident' that is required to reduce the speed limit again!!

Edited by Jenny - 26 February 2007 at 9:53am
No one really cares if you are miserable so you might was well be happy. (Cynthia Nelms)
tobic View Drop Down
Chalfont Snapper
Chalfont Snapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tobic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 February 2007 at 10:01am
Originally posted by Malc London Malc London wrote:

It is impossible to be exceeding the speed limit in a built up area and be driving safely...........plus if you did increase the speed limit by 10 mph, then all these drivers flaunt the road rules would increase their speed accordingly...........where would it end..??

Condoms should be used on every conceivable occasion.
Chalfont Snapper
Chalfont Snapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Malc London Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 February 2007 at 10:11am
Originally posted by tobic tobic wrote:

It is impossible to be exceeding the speed limit in a built up area and be driving safely

Absolute crap.

Edited by Malc London - 26 February 2007 at 10:11am
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 February 2007 at 10:16am
oo er. I fear your in for a pummeling Malc.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 9>