Forum Home Forum Home > Chalfont St Peter > Holy Cross Development
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Call me cynical

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Villager
Villager

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chillies Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Call me cynical
    Posted: 27 September 2011 at 9:09am
I see in the new development/consulation document, apart from the ridiculous idea of another supermarket, 100m from an existing one, a cynical plan to sway the planners with the mention of the provision of cycle paths to give access to the village !!

They do know it is a village not Milton Keynes. If someone cannot ride safely around the village now they never can. It is a very sorry way to carry on and highlights the fact they are trying to be smart with the Council by pushing certain 'construction' friendly items onto the table.
www.chalfontchillies.co.uk Twitter: @chalfontchillie Facebook: chalfontchillies

Often to be seen walking his Staffie Cross and two Chihuahuas so please say hello
Sponsored Links

EmmaO View Drop Down
Chalfontonian
Chalfontonian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EmmaO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 September 2011 at 1:03pm
This is really tough isn't it? The problem is that something is going to be built there, planning has been granted for the other horrific scheme. I can't help but think this one is a better option for the village although as you say there are aspects of it that I don't like at all. I am worried about the supermarket. I have no loyalty to Budgens as I feel they have no loyalty to us villagers, they've expected us to buy their overpriced, in some cases poor quality goods in a shabby and dirty environment the entire time I have lived here. Now they develop it with a coffee shop and butchers and expect us all not to see that they are stepping strongly on the toes of other businesses in the village. BUT! I have great loyalty to our independants, Birrings, Judds, Crumbs, etc and I worry the effect that a new supermarket would have on them. There is an arguement that they could see increased footfall if the supermarket is a draw to the village. I suppose only time will tell. But would I rather have the arrowcroft proposal rather than the gerard eve? Yes probably.
Exp. Interiors View Drop Down
Villager
Villager

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Exp. Interiors Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 September 2011 at 12:10am
Bobblehead, I agree with you. It's a far better proposal than the existing planned development. The bottom line is that currently there are NO options other than the Gerald Eve plan.

If the JR is upheld and the Parish Council win then it's still not guaranteed that Arrowcroft will get the site. We'll have to wait and see. But as you say the Arrowcroft option is a far better one.

I've been informed that the supermarket will be a 'food only' store and will not have a cafe, so the likes of Crumbs need not worry. I too would hope that the likes of Birrings and Judds will prevail as they have loyal customers and also provide good quality produce.

Time will tell . . .
Expression Interiors Ltd -
Kitchen Design and Installation
For free quotation please call: 01753 884041
Email: nathan@expressioninteriors.co.uk
Jonathan View Drop Down
Sandbox
Sandbox

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonathan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 June 2013 at 3:02pm
Last night Chiltern District Council rejected the developer's application for detailed planning approval for 198 homes
Jonathan
Anita View Drop Down
Villager
Villager

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anita Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 June 2013 at 3:21pm
Are CDC being difficult because of the outstanding judicial review?
Malc London View Drop Down
Chalfont Snapper
Chalfont Snapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Malc London Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 June 2013 at 6:21pm
I'd prefer an underground station with adequate parking.

In response to Bobblehead, Budgens is nothing like you describe. The butchers a match for Judds, the bread better than the bakers, and the coffee shop as good as you can get. As for prices, they are often a match for Tesco and beat them on price on many items.

Another supermarket may hurt them, but they will have to be good.

EmmaO View Drop Down
Chalfontonian
Chalfontonian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EmmaO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 June 2013 at 7:02pm
We're all entitled to our opinion Malc. That's mine, you're welcome to yours! I have seen some minor improvements since the new management arrived other than the removal of the very handy car washing guys.

Edited by Bobblehead - 10 June 2013 at 7:21pm
Chalfont Snapper
Chalfont Snapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Malc London Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 June 2013 at 9:05pm
I agree that Mr Whalley was responsible in turning around Budgens to a store competing with Waitrose, M&S, Tesco and Sainsbury on a level playing field.

Without Budgens the village would be dead.

Edited by Malc London - 10 June 2013 at 9:06pm
watsy View Drop Down
Chalfont Admin
Chalfont Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote watsy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 June 2013 at 9:37pm
Another (better) supermarket chain would buy the site and make a much better go of it. Whoever takes over is still restricted to the central purchasing guidelines of the owners Musgrave who are a small chain operator.

As a case study, look at the Budgens in Gerrards Cross - couldn't make their operation succeed when there was just one poor competitor and clearly it has transpired there was a huge potential market for them to exploit.
Chalfont Snapper
Chalfont Snapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Malc London Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 June 2013 at 3:16am
I disagree, I think Budgens give their managers more leeway for enterprise than the likes of M&S etc. Would you see Sainsbury stocking and selling local produce like Budgens do?

Anyway, off topic. An underground station at Holy Cross is what's needed. We must be the only major town/village locally without transport links. GX, Denham, Amersham, Chorleywood, Rickmansworth, Croxley, even Little Chalfont have trains.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>