Forum Home Forum Home > General > The Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

A Lost Village

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678
Author
Chalfont Admin
Chalfont Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DanW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 April 2007 at 5:34pm
CSP Library said they never withdraw local books. Is this a county-wide statement?
I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I'm with isn't it, and what's it seems scary and weird.
Sponsored Links

jessama View Drop Down
Chalfont Oracle
Chalfont Oracle

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jessama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 April 2007 at 6:17pm
That is what I understood.  They also said that any library wanting to dispose of a book from their stock would offer it to another library, so I would expect CSP to accept it.
Life is a balancing act
GOP
jessama View Drop Down
Chalfont Oracle
Chalfont Oracle

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jessama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 April 2007 at 6:18pm
Originally posted by DanW DanW wrote:

I'm sure I have seen other libraries in the country.

Did you mean county (no r)?  If so I might have understood your meaning.
Life is a balancing act
GOP
DanW View Drop Down
Chalfont Admin
Chalfont Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DanW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 April 2007 at 6:48pm
Sorry, yes, should have been county.

I imagine it was in another library and may have been removed whilst there and probably got misclassified or similar and no-one thought it was worth keeping.
I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I'm with isn't it, and what's it seems scary and weird.
jessama View Drop Down
Chalfont Oracle
Chalfont Oracle

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jessama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 April 2007 at 9:00pm

Ah, yes, your comment makes sense now.  That still doesn't explain why, if it was misclassified or something, when it was advertised throughout the library system, why CSP didn't snap it up.

I could possibly surmise that someone borrowed it, said it was lost, paid whatever cost, and then sold it on Ebay.  Cynical me.    I hope there might be another copy popping up for Tobic.

Life is a balancing act
GOP
tobic View Drop Down
Chalfont Snapper
Chalfont Snapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tobic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 April 2007 at 4:23am
I think I have learnt (too late) how to do this.
With 1 minute to go put in a high bid, even more than your limit. Your opposition will only get one more shot, then Ebay will bid the next increment up and you will get it.

Condoms should be used on every conceivable occasion.
big baggles View Drop Down
Chalfont Snapper
Chalfont Snapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote big baggles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 April 2007 at 3:10pm
not so tobic, - so be careful !

ebay will automatically bid on your behalf upto you entered highest maximum bid, but there are plenty of people out there using 'snipe' sites, so its not a case of 'one more shot'

these are 3rd party websites which will bid on your behalf in the closing stages of an auction, (you have to enter the ebay auction number and the details and then enter your highest bid and some details and these snipe sites bid for you in the last few seconds of the auction, )

its great if you cannot be at a PC as the auction closes... but be warned there are alot of these snipe sites and alot a configured so they bid in the last few seconds so you may find there are 10 or 20 bids placed in the last 15 seconds  of the auction - especially if the item is popular/ rare

so if you had bid a large amount  as you suggested... you may have found that bidding escalates dramatically in the closing minutes and you end up paying well over the odds for the item- so be wary !

Edited by big baggles - 30 April 2007 at 3:10pm
need a stella and i need one now !
Angie Pitts View Drop Down
Chalfont Snapper
Chalfont Snapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angie Pitts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2007 at 4:44am
Originally posted by tobic tobic wrote:

He beat me in the last minute, if I had have been on superfast broadband I would have got in in time, broadband over here is not that fast (100 k.)
Oh well, will have to wait till the next one comes up.......
Sorry Tobic, but I can assure you that the book went to a very good home, as I have quite a collection of CSP (and GX and Buckinghamshire) items.  I have been buying on Ebay for approx 7 years, but have never been tempted to sell on Ebay as yet.  Great book, just received.
tobic View Drop Down
Chalfont Snapper
Chalfont Snapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tobic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2007 at 9:17am
Now I know what it feels like to be stabbed in the back.................Cry

Condoms should be used on every conceivable occasion.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678