FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThis week’s "Random" recipes

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Newcomer
Newcomer

Direct Link To This Post Topic: This week’s "Random" recipes
    Posted: 23 September 2005 at 4:00pm

To explain - my No.2 Son maintains that I'm the best "Random" cook he knows. I must be honest that I don't know the meaning of "random" applied in this context by his generation, but I thought I'd share with you details of the things that impressed him this week.

Spicy Fruit Sambal

This came about because I had a bit of left-over curry (no enough to go round) and some pears and nectarines which had gone past their prime and nobody was going to eat them.

Peel the fruit (nectarines and pears in this case) and cut the flesh into dice. Melt a spoonful of your favorite curry paste in a pan with some garlic. Roll the fruit in a 50/50 mix of Cajun spice (Tony Cacheros) and brown sugar and toss it into the hot pan. Let it soften and exude some juice for a while, then add some lemon juice (lime would sound more exotic, but this is "random" cooking). Add some water if you're a wuss and some honey if you've overdone the lemon juice, then cook over a high heat until it's a nice, glutinous consistency.

Remember not to let on to the family that it was the fruit you said you were going to throw away.

http://sloughobserver.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=3
Sponsored Links

Catweazle View Drop Down
Newcomer
Newcomer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 September 2005 at 4:11pm

Coronation Chicken

Since Heinz stopped making Coronation Sauce, what is one to do to make the best sandwiches (Coronation chicken and cucumber) ever? Simple - you make "Random" Coronation Sauce.

Mix together - Mayonnaise, Korma curry paste (or powder), fenugreek (if you have it), some peach and passion fruit fromage frais or yogurt and a bit of salt. Add some yellow colouring if you've been a mamby-pamby southerner with the curry, and some jam if it doesn't taste fruity enough. Then chuck in some cooked chicken (free range of course).

(The sauce keeps well in the fridge if you want to make a pint or so).

http://sloughobserver.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=3
jake View Drop Down
Chalfont Star
Chalfont Star

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 September 2005 at 4:25pm
big baggles View Drop Down
Chalfont Snapper
Chalfont Snapper

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 October 2005 at 4:46pm
i just love curry mayo on chips, for every heaped table spoon of hellmans mayo add one level teaspoon of medium curry powder, mix together and serve with nice hot chips !- yum
need a stella and i need one now !
 Post Reply Post Reply