Forum Home Forum Home > Chalfont St Peter > News and Gossip
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Grange - Bunkers or Tunnels but unsafe

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
Villager
Villager

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dickybird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2017 at 11:18am
Morning, Joanna
Intrigued - will go down there this morning to investigate. All attempts to preserve the Grange failed, miserably, and it would be great to make a find on the site that would be worth saving. I had heard rumours of secret tunnels but taken them all with a pinch of salt...

I can't access your pics. Please could you email them to me at kzdickson@btinternet.com?

Sponsored Links

dickybird View Drop Down
Villager
Villager

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dickybird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2017 at 11:25am
PS:
The site is not public yet. Still a building site but the area of the dell you refer to will be open to the public in time. I will make contact with the site manager first thing Monday if the entrances/holes are dangerous - surprised they are not cordoned off already.

As for the felling of the trees, that has been another huge disappoinment. So many of them have TPO's but the tree officer at CDC says that there is not enough legislation to protect them. Last i heard, 22 were facing the chop in July.
Bucks Fizz View Drop Down
Chalfontonian
Chalfontonian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bucks Fizz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2017 at 2:28pm
A former teacher at Holy Cross (formerly The Grange) told me there were extensive cellars beneath the now demolished school and that these dated from Tudor times, having been there since the first Grange was built, if not before. She was always surprised those cellars were not listed, as some of the doors were magnificent, oak studded with nails, etc. Perhaps this is what the 'tunnels' are?
watsy View Drop Down
Chalfont Admin
Chalfont Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote watsy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2017 at 3:22pm
Hope you don't mind Joanne, but I've copied your photos and posting below.  Great work. Clap
Chalfont Grange Tunnels
watsy View Drop Down
Chalfont Admin
Chalfont Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote watsy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2017 at 3:22pm
Chalfont Grange Tunnels
watsy View Drop Down
Chalfont Admin
Chalfont Admin

Chalfont Grange Tunnels
watsy View Drop Down
Chalfont Admin
Chalfont Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote watsy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2017 at 3:23pm
Chalfont Grange Tunnels
watsy View Drop Down
Chalfont Admin
Chalfont Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote watsy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2017 at 3:23pm
Chalfont Grange Tunnels
watsy View Drop Down
Chalfont Admin
Chalfont Admin

Chalfont Grange Tunnels
watsy View Drop Down
Chalfont Admin
Chalfont Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote watsy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2017 at 3:24pm
Chalfont Grange Tunnels
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>