Forum Home Forum Home > Chalfont St Peter > News and Gossip
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tesco Tunnel

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 14151617>
Author
Chalfontonian
Chalfontonian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Walrus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 August 2010 at 3:21pm

Perhaps we will have eggs and tomatoes thrown at us for venturing inside.

It will be the poshest picket line ever!
Is back in the game! :)
Sponsored Links

phisch21 View Drop Down
Chalfont Oracle
Chalfont Oracle

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phisch21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 August 2010 at 5:12pm
Originally posted by Lollipop Lollipop wrote:

Originally posted by phisch21 phisch21 wrote:

Lollipop - does that peanut butter contain palm oil? I hope not

Hangs head in deep shame

Sun pat or Meridian dont
Pants 2 Tight View Drop Down
Chalfontonian
Chalfontonian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pants 2 Tight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 August 2010 at 5:15pm
I wasn't going to shop in Tesco but I've just downloaded the Tesco Clubcard app for my Blackberry. Now I've got to go. 
timo_w2s View Drop Down
Chalfontonian
Chalfontonian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timo_w2s Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 August 2010 at 7:02pm
My nearest bank branch is in GX so I often use the post office while I'm there too, so chances are I'll also pop in to Tesco occasionally.
Who is General Failure and why's he reading my hard disk?
oldchris View Drop Down
Chalfont Oracle
Chalfont Oracle

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldchris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 August 2010 at 8:00pm
Originally posted by Lollipop Lollipop wrote:

Originally posted by oldchris oldchris wrote:

and i will carry on supporting budgens after tescos has opened.

But will we all stand firm against Tesco, with their pretty packages and fancy pricing signs that make it all look so economical and encourage us to buy 342 or BOGOF even though we don't really need one in the first place, never mind two or three?

Even if wise enough to ignore these offers, older shoppers may well be lured to Tesco because of easy access by (free) bus and car.

Alas, the proof of the pudding was in a lunchtime trip yesterday to Amersham (lunch for a tenner in Prezzo - 2 courses + drink - voucher from their website, not valid BH Monday, fantastic meal & deal). 

What did I do whilst waiting for my bus back?  Yep, popped in to Tesco to buy the organic crunchy peanut butter that they no longer sell in Budgens. 

Of course, whilst there, I just had to buy 3 x 500ml decent beers for £4 (Budgens charge > £2 per bottle), some gluten-free caramel slices (not sold in Budgens), and some other items that ARE sold in Budgens but, why go shopping twice when you can get it all under one roof?

That's got to be a classic scenario these days - driven to Tesco for something not sold locally - and so they will wear us all down in the end... Disapprove

you need to go into budgens more often, they have some good offers.
Lollipop View Drop Down
Villager
Villager

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lollipop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 August 2010 at 8:16pm
Originally posted by oldchris oldchris wrote:

you need to go into budgens more often, they have some good offers.

I agree the Budgens have some very good offers, though not necessarily on what I want to buy, alas.  I do go in there every day ...

... for the peace of my years in the long green grass ...
Barn Owl View Drop Down
Villager
Villager

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barn Owl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 September 2010 at 5:43pm
I won't be shopping in Tesco. Ever ever. Out of every £8 spent across the UK, £1 is spent at Tesco. I can't bear that kind of market power, and Tesco does not use it responsibly in my opinion ...it sources stuff from sweatshops, supports producers that cut down rainforests to plant palm for palm oil, puts enormous pressure on farmers both at home and abroad to bring their prices down to rock bottom....and then we bleat 'but it's cheap!'

When things are cheap, someone somewhere is always paying the price. Most of us can afford to buy decently sourced and produced food. Maybe we should exercise our economic muscle, however small a difference we make.

and this

brewski View Drop Down
Chalfontonian
Chalfontonian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brewski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 September 2010 at 6:57pm
Too many laws...
Too few examples...
oldchris View Drop Down
Chalfont Oracle
Chalfont Oracle

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldchris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 September 2010 at 9:13pm
Originally posted by Barn Owl Barn Owl wrote:

I won't be shopping in Tesco. Ever ever. Out of every £8 spent across the UK, £1 is spent at Tesco. I can't bear that kind of market power, and Tesco does not use it responsibly in my opinion ...it sources stuff from sweatshops, supports producers that cut down rainforests to plant palm for palm oil, puts enormous pressure on farmers both at home and abroad to bring their prices down to rock bottom....and then we bleat 'but it's cheap!'

When things are cheap, someone somewhere is always paying the price. Most of us can afford to buy decently sourced and produced food. Maybe we should exercise our economic muscle, however small a difference we make.

and this

good one, i feel uncomfortable with tescos high street.
Nico View Drop Down
Local
Local

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nico Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 September 2010 at 12:23pm
I'd use it if it were a more fitting store for the area - Fortnum & Mason, Waitrose or even Sainsbury's. But Tesco? Next thing we know there'll be a Lidl opening
The more that things change, the more they stay the same
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 14151617>