Forum Home Forum Home > Chalfont St Peter > News and Gossip
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

St Peter's Precinct

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Chalfontonian
Chalfontonian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bucks Fizz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: St Peter's Precinct
    Posted: 07 November 2016 at 7:56am
Word on the street is that M&Co's former premises will soon be a Marks & Spencer Simply Food, and that the menswear shop may be incorporated in that new store. The car park is to be resurfaced in preparation for the arrival of M&S. Good to see a classier food store as an alternative to the rather shabby (IMO) Co-op.
Sponsored Links

Sunray View Drop Down
Villager
Villager

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sunray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 November 2016 at 12:10pm
I wonder if that will now happen, M&S have announced, today, that they are closing some of their smaller store, not sure if that includes their food stores or it is just the clothes shops, but they must be looking at all their store portfolio .
So far, there has not been a planning application submitted, and the guy in the Sports shop has said no one has approached him about moving out, so enlarging M&Co by adding Genesis shop can not happen untill they also get his shop.
I hope it happens, it would revive the precinct.
Sunray
Bucks Fizz View Drop Down
Chalfontonian
Chalfontonian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bucks Fizz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 November 2016 at 12:24pm
The news item I heard suggested they were closing their clothing stores in favour of more simply food outlets. I tend to order my M&S clothes etc. online and collect from Simply Food in GX, so this would be most convenient for me. I also heard that M&S may be paying some of the cost of resurfacing the car park. If true, this would suggest they are moving in. I know M&S's original planning application was to extend forward onto that unused bit of forecourt in the corner (M&Co is an L-shaped store which hugs the corner)to enable them to to park shopping trolleys & baskets just inside, but they don't seem to have re-applied for planning for this. Not sure if they'd need to apply for change of use, tho, if going from clothing retail to food retail? Interesting to see what happens.
Chalfontonian
Chalfontonian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bucks Fizz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 November 2016 at 6:28pm
Indeed, today's news is M&S will be opening 200 new Simply Food stores around the country. It looks as though we are lucky enough to be earmarked for one of them. I imagine it may have more retail space that the one in GX.
EmmaO View Drop Down
Chalfontonian
Chalfontonian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EmmaO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 November 2016 at 6:47pm
As Sunray says, nobody has approached the Sports shop to buy them out of the lease (was in there last week) and nobody has signed a lease with M&S as yet. Given that this rumour has been going about now at least 8 years to my knowledge I think I'll wait until it's all signed and sealed before I get excited!!! It would be very nice to have an M&S I agree and hopefully it will bring new business to the village and better still increased footfall for our existing traders.
The artist formerly known as Bobblehead :)
Chalfontonian
Chalfontonian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bucks Fizz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 November 2016 at 8:18am
Even without the adjoining premises, I think the M&Co shop would offer more retail space than the GX M&S currently has. Let's hope it doesn't stay empty for as long as the Home Stores did, or as the former laundrette has. Maybe wishing will make it happen.   
Roy B View Drop Down
Villager
Villager

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 November 2016 at 12:22pm
The current M & Co shop was a large area when it was Bishops Supermarket many years ago, although the small part next to the newsagents was an Off License so they have expanded it.
They grew and ran out of room, they knocked down Airpel Motors garage and built Bishops House which now houses the Co-Op and the chemist with the offices above.
Chalfontonian
Chalfontonian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bucks Fizz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 November 2016 at 12:50pm
I recall the days when it was Bishops. There was a branch of Bishops down in Langley too. Budgens bought out the entire Bishops' chain. Now it's the turn of Co-op. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for an M&S Simply Food though.

I remember the last time (a few years ago now) that we had heavy snow just before Christmas and I had to walk into GX over re-frozen rutted pavements to collect my big, fresh turkey ordered from M&S and struggled to walk back home with it in my rucksack. No butchers here in the village then. I made a mental note for the next year to buy a live turkey and walk it home on a string!
big baggles View Drop Down
Chalfont Snapper
Chalfont Snapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote big baggles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 December 2016 at 11:13am
i heard    m and s in GX is to close,

also if M and S do go into M and co allegedly there will be a second floor ??
need a stella and i need one now !
Rich Kid View Drop Down
Chalfont Snapper
Chalfont Snapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 December 2016 at 5:35pm
I thought M&S were expanding their Simply Food outlets and cutting back on their under-performing general stores - if this is the case would they really close GX?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>