Forum Home Forum Home > Chalfont St Peter > Memory Lane
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

shop next to Jolly Farmer

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Sandbox
Sandbox

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: shop next to Jolly Farmer
    Posted: 23 July 2007 at 8:49pm
I noticed some people mentioning the shop next to the Jolly farmer, I think it was called gold hill store, it was run by two women, or were they, my sister used to call them "men Woman', one had a ton of brylcream in her hair. They were the only shop open on a sunday in CSP, although Nagles was open in GX.

They broke all the Sunday trading laws and charged extra for everything, the store was next to the shop and was damp damp damp!

One of them was called Phyllis!

Anyone remember?
RED
Sponsored Links

DanW View Drop Down
Chalfont Admin
Chalfont Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DanW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 July 2007 at 10:10pm
In the mists of my youth there used to be a sweet shop next to the Jolly Farmer (where Delta security is now I think) staffed by an old lady or two. Sweets were in jars on shelfs but I can't remember much else about it!
I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I'm with isn't it, and what's it seems scary and weird.
Walrus View Drop Down
Chalfontonian
Chalfontonian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Walrus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 July 2007 at 10:24pm
Originally posted by DanW DanW wrote:

Sweets were in jars on shelfs

thats a novel ideaLOL

I remember going in to a sweet shop with sweets in jars on shelves when i was young and asking for a 1/4 of midget gems. Nowadays you have to say 125 grams pleaseConfusedBig%20smile

Edited by Walrus - 23 July 2007 at 10:25pm
Is back in the game! :)
tobic View Drop Down
Chalfont Snapper
Chalfont Snapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tobic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2007 at 3:47am
I think my mum bought a couple of those empty sweet jars from them when I was a child.  She used to put pickled onions in them.
Everything is prepacked these days which I suppose is a lot more hygenic.

Condoms should be used on every conceivable occasion.
J.R. View Drop Down
Chalfontonian
Chalfontonian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J.R. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2007 at 8:40am
the used to sell ciggys to anyone - and not just by the packet, you could ask for 3 no6 !
JR was ere
jessama View Drop Down
Chalfont Oracle
Chalfont Oracle

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jessama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2007 at 12:24pm
Originally posted by tobic tobic wrote:

I think my mum bought a couple of those empty sweet jars from them when I was a child.  She used to put pickled onions in them.
Everything is prepacked these days which I suppose is a lot more hygenic.

My Dad used to pickle onions in the 7lb sweet jars.  I had to go out while he was doing it because I could't stand the smell of the heating vinegar. 

Life is a balancing act
GOP
DanDan View Drop Down
Chalfont Snapper
Chalfont Snapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DanDan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2007 at 1:39pm
Originally posted by DanW DanW wrote:

In the mists of my youth there used to be a sweet shop next to the Jolly Farmer (where Delta security is now I think) staffed by an old lady or two.

I used to go to that shop every Sunday, from memory I cannot recall a time when either of them smiled.
tobic View Drop Down
Chalfont Snapper
Chalfont Snapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tobic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2007 at 7:30am
Originally posted by J.R. J.R. wrote:

the used to sell ciggys to anyone - and not just by the packet, you could ask for 3 no6 !

There was a shop down the bottom end of market place that did that.  I remember they sold extra long cigarettes singly to us kids.

Condoms should be used on every conceivable occasion.
DogChops View Drop Down
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DogChops Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 November 2008 at 1:43pm
If I remember rightly, the shop or one of the old ladies was called (Mrs) Avery?

Edited by DogChops - 05 November 2008 at 1:43pm
Rich Kid View Drop Down
Chalfont Snapper
Chalfont Snapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 December 2008 at 8:53pm
Originally posted by Reid Reid wrote:

I noticed some people mentioning the shop next to the Jolly farmer, I think it was called gold hill store, it was run by two women, or were they, my sister used to call them "men Woman', one had a ton of brylcream in her hair. They were the only shop open on a sunday in CSP, although Nagles was open in GX.

Anyone remember?

We used to call it the "mixed-up shop" where the men were women and the women were men. There were two quite butch "ladies" who owned & lived there and one quite gentle softly-spoken man who served in there sometimes - I can't remember his name.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>