Forum Home Forum Home > Chalfont St Peter > News and Gossip
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedrecycling

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 31>
Author
Chalfont Snapper
Chalfont Snapper

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 March 2005 at 10:18am
stick it straight into the bin !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
need a stella and i need one now !
Sponsored Links

Emsy View Drop Down
Chalfont Star
Chalfont Star

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 March 2005 at 10:25am

South Bucks DC have chosen not to introduce such a scheme, perhaps they are waiting to see if the Chiltern DC thing is a success! After 10 months of living in GX, I still don't know if we even have paper and glass collections. We take our plastics, cans and bottles to the recycling centre every week.

In Germany they have a sophisticated recycling scheme with plastics, glass, packaging, paper, metals and biodegradable waste being collected. They introduced the recycling scheme as part of their rigorous Environmental Policy and in 1990 they passed new, strict recycling laws which fixed a target of 80-90% of all waste being recycled by 1995, in order to reduce waste being deposited in land fill sites. The intention was that in the long term the consumption and production cycle was supposed to develop into a closed-circuit that produces no waste.

In order to achieve this they made businesses accountable, to encourage businesses to develop low waste or recyclable products. Under the German packaging regulations suppliers are under an obligation to take back and recycle up to 70% of their packaging and submit audited documents to prove it, and organisations which don't comply can be fined. In conjunction with collecting recyclable packaging material from households via a "Green Dot" logo which tells the consumer that the packaging should be recycled, they incentivise it for consumers by a deposit scheme on plastics and glass bottles, i.e. when you buy a plastic or glass bottle you get a small amount refunded (around 0.25 Euros when I left) when you take it back. They have machines in supermarkets which do this automatically (though admittedly their supermarkets are generally a smaller scale, Budgens size rather Tesco, in city centres anyway!).

This involves commitment by businesses and the public, but it works. If we are going to make a go of recycling here I think we need some stricter regulations and a change of attitude.

Henry View Drop Down
Chalfont Oracle
Chalfont Oracle

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 March 2005 at 11:55am

It was not that long ago that all bottles were returnable. Reuse must be better than recycle!

The binmen come around every week, so collect all the rubbish every week. Not difficult. Make it easy and it will be used by more people.

I have to agree that once a fortnight is not enough for glass or paper. both boxes are always overfull. And our plastic and metal bins need emptying more than once a fortnight!

Keep the green belt green
Sarah Booker View Drop Down
Chalfontonian
Chalfontonian

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 March 2005 at 11:59am
Chiltern's kitchen and garden waste collection trial is
taking place in Chalfont St Giles, Seer Green and
Jordans only.
I'm still trying to get my paper recycling picked up
from last Thursday! They don't like taking it for some
reason. I might write about it soon!
Eddie View Drop Down
Chalfont Star
Chalfont Star

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 March 2005 at 12:33pm

Originally posted by watsy watsy wrote:

We take the cans / tins plastic bottles down to the Church Lane car park.  I already put the kitchen stuff in a container at the back of the garden.

You can put your cooked waste and meat etc in the council bin watsy and carry on as before with your gardedn bin

They say Kesey's dead; But never trust a prankster;even underground.
big baggles View Drop Down
Chalfont Snapper
Chalfont Snapper

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 March 2005 at 12:51pm

Originally posted by Sarah Booker Sarah Booker wrote:

Chiltern's kitchen and garden waste collection trial is
taking place in Chalfont St Giles, Seer Green and
Jordans only.
I'm still trying to get my paper recycling picked up
from last Thursday! They don't like taking it for some
reason. I might write about it soon!

i would sarah, i am all in favour of recycling but i also think one grey refuse sack of non compostable waste every fortnight is reduiculous, this will lead to flytipping.... also you can buy more of the grey bags if you wish at £5 for 20- these are the most expensive refuse sacks ever !!!!

on the leaflet it says about what can go where and what to compost and what not to..... and ring this number if you are a large family, and put disposable nappies in the grey refuse sack for collection once a fortnight.... - or try using real nappies .... for crying out loud, been there done that real nappies are better in the sense that they  do notgo to land fill, but you need to soak them first in a chemical sanitiser ( which you ultimately pour down the drains) then you increase the number of times you fire up the washing machine, ( and its on a hotter wash than norm using more energy) you add the washing powder and fabric softener all releasing chemical and bleaching agents into the drain system and using more of this leads to increased plastic bottles ( say lenor) and carboard washing powder boxes in the recycling.....IS IT REALLY GREENER TO USE REAL NAPPIES ?????

lets be real, collecting glass once a month and paper every fortnight is just not enough, the boxes are overflowing as it is !- the single grey bag collected once a fortnight is unrealistic for me with a toddler,  take this for eaxample -disposable nappies for a toddler, you are looking at 4 or 5 a day, then there is the pagaging we get on every day items such as the plastic bag we get our celery in, and the polystyrene packing on our pizza bases, the plastic wrapper on most food items,  we are a household of 3 ( soon to be 4 )and we recycle as much as we can  currently, we compost uncooked waste in the garden composter, we recycle, paper, card, plastic bottles, and tins and glass....but we produce one and a half black bags each week.....the half basically being nappies, wet wipes and other baby related rubbish.....

one grey bag is not realistic for us, and i bet anyone out there with say a family of 4 and a pet, dog or whatever will struggle with one bag too......

lets just see shall we !-

Edited by big baggles
need a stella and i need one now !
Eddie View Drop Down
Chalfont Star
Chalfont Star

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 March 2005 at 12:55pm
Originally posted by Emsy Emsy wrote:

South Bucks DC have chosen not to introduce such a scheme, perhaps they are waiting to see if the Chiltern DC thing is a success!  

Not true Emsy. From this week Denham is trialling a similar scheme.

They say Kesey's dead; But never trust a prankster;even underground.
Rich Kid View Drop Down
Chalfont Snapper
Chalfont Snapper

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 March 2005 at 1:04pm
Household re-cycling is one big Green con - don't believe in it. Manufacturers should be taxed on over-packaging, now that is an issue.
fontie View Drop Down
Chalfontonian
Chalfontonian

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 March 2005 at 1:19pm

Mr & Mrs Fontie have missed the dustmen yet again.....

Jingle bells....
fontie View Drop Down
Chalfontonian
Chalfontonian

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 March 2005 at 2:34pm

Originally posted by Rich Kid Rich Kid wrote:

Household re-cycling is one big Green con - don't believe in it. Manufacturers should be taxed on over-packaging, now that is an issue.

I agree.... It's almost a joke when I opened a softwear box. One disc floating around an oak tree....

Had to buy an over the counter tablet last week. Massive box with all the packaging for one tablet. Well they've got to make room for all the advertising.

Jingle bells....
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 31>