Forum Description: Photos & History of Chalfont
URL: http://www.chalfontstpeter.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=8370
Printed Date: 23 February 2018 at 6:36am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.05 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Commenting on old pictures
Posted By: Chilternman
Subject: Commenting on old pictures
Date Posted: 24 October 2017 at 8:19pm
I am enjoying the old pics but it's just frustrating that we can't comment on them, is there really no way we can open this up again, I was looking at the one of the library and remember going in there with my mother, it didn't look like that in1960 but it was there at the top of the village.

Replies:
Posted By: hissing sid
Date Posted: 24 October 2017 at 8:42pm
http://www.chalfontstpeter.com/forum/old-pics_topic8268_page1.html" rel="nofollow - http://www.chalfontstpeter.com/forum/old-pics_topic8268_page1.html

-------------
Hissing Sid

It's a free country, adopt whatever PC stance you want. Just don't tell me which stance I should take just because it clashes with your opinion.

Date Posted: 29 October 2017 at 12:26pm
Re the picture of the post office and library October 24th
We’ve calculated that the post office moved from this location to the lower side of the vale around 1940

-------------
Hissing Sid

It's a free country, adopt whatever PC stance you want. Just don't tell me which stance I should take just because it clashes with your opinion.

Date Posted: 21 November 2017 at 6:26pm
The last picture posted of the George from a different angle is fantastic, I've never seen that one before and it shows the old footbridge over the misbourne, I remember a bridge but I thought it was in a slightly different position, where are you getting these pics???

Date Posted: 21 November 2017 at 7:25pm
Originally posted by Chilternman Chilternman wrote:

The last picture posted of the George from a different angle is fantastic, I've never seen that one before and it shows the old footbridge over the misbourne, I remember a bridge but I thought it was in a slightly different position, where are you getting these pics???

If you compare the bridge to the first picture posted ( page 1), it has to before 1909. I’m suggesting it part of the set dated pre 1904.

-------------
Hissing Sid

Posted By: ArtB
Date Posted: 21 November 2017 at 8:28pm
I'm inclined to agree with Sid... Later parapets look like iron railings, the brick one was obviously earlier. The George shows the "Good Stabling" and I can't find any reference to "Mills Bakers & "Cakemakers?" in anything I've got.
The "Good Stabling" was certainly there in 1906 if http://www.chalfontstpeter.com/forum/old-village-photos_topic8256_page13.html" rel="nofollow - Page 13  is correct.

Art

-------------
*** If you're not part of the solution, you may be part of the problem!

Date Posted: 22 November 2017 at 2:00am
Originally posted by ArtB ArtB wrote:

I'm inclined to agree with Sid... Later parapets look like iron railings, the brick one was obviously earlier. The George shows the "Good Stabling" and I can't find any reference to "Mills Bakers & "Cakemakers?" in anything I've got.
The "Good Stabling" was certainly there in 1906 if http://www.chalfontstpeter.com/forum/old-village-photos_topic8256_page13.html" rel="nofollow - Page 13  is correct.

Art

If you have a copy of “chalfont St. Peter, a lost village, Audrey Wheelband.
Page 32 plus 35. Reference is made about Mr Mills the baker.

-------------
Hissing Sid

Date Posted: 22 November 2017 at 2:12am

There is a book by Audrey Wheelband of old postcards of Chalfont St Peter.
Picture #32 was taken in 1928. She says the two footbridge are now gone. As can be seen in the picture.

-------------
Hissing Sid

Posted By: watsy
Date Posted: 22 November 2017 at 10:19am
I thought that George photo was slightly different from the others posted.

I have bought all the photos from Ebay over a number of years.

I have Audrey's book and when I run out of Postcards etc was looking at plundering additional photos from that next.  Final project would be to take photos around the village to give the current day view- though Google Streetview does a good job of this already of course.

Marie at Fired Works at the top of the market place has all the postcards in high res if you would like them made into anything for Christmas.

Date Posted: 22 November 2017 at 6:33pm
Originally posted by watsy watsy wrote:

I thought that George photo was slightly different from the others posted.

It's a different view but judging by the brick parapet on the bridge it is pre 1906 as you have a 1906 one with railings. The pre 1904 photo on Page 9 shows the brick parapet.

Edit:

"High Street - where the Precinct is now, postmarked 1904. Corner of the George - a follow up from the other day." 

on Page 15 of the photos shows the bridge with the Iron Railings and by the look of it the remains of the brick parapet in the river.

Art

-------------

Date Posted: 22 November 2017 at 6:51pm
Yes I have Audrey's book but there are some different ones in your collection, there aren't so many of us about now who remember the village pre-precinct, but it was beautiful and such a loss, what many don't realise is there was a lot of housing and pubs etc from the Greyhound up to the Waggon & Horses, you can see it in some of your pics.

Date Posted: 22 November 2017 at 7:31pm
Originally posted by hissing sid hissing sid wrote:

Re the picture of the post office and library October 24th
We’ve calculated that the post office moved from this location to the lower side of the vale around 1940

Mid 50's we remember the library. You went in the door from the street, on the left was a door into a Post Office/Bank or such like, (I remember a Post Office/Bank type of counter sort of facing me on the left) down a dimley lit corridor, up some steps and into the library.

If it wasn't the Post Office then perhaps it was the Midland Bank, but I thought they were below the Vale before they moved to the Precinct....

Art

-------------

Date Posted: 22 November 2017 at 9:09pm
I also remember the library had a dim corridor up some steps but I'm sure it was above the vale.

Date Posted: 23 November 2017 at 1:54am

I also remember the library had a dim corridor up some steps but I'm sure it was above the vale.

I belive you are correct. I wanted to say this, when this picture came up, but wasn’t totally sure.

-------------
Hissing Sid

Date Posted: 23 November 2017 at 9:15am

Yes it was above the Vale, the challenge I have is remembering who was in front of them. 

The more I think about it. If Sid is correct and the Post Office moved out in 1940 then I 'think' that Midland Bank must have moved in. Then, when the new library was built, 1965/6 (?),  I think that Midland Bank moved to a shop below The Vale as a temporary measure until the precinct was built in 1967/8 and they could move into it.

Art

-------------

Date Posted: 23 November 2017 at 7:52pm
Sorry I just don't have a detailed memory of the shops above the vale at that time just going into the library with mum. Having said that I do recall the Co-op being on the corner and next to that was a bicycle shop, at the top was an electrical shop.
Now on to the last picture posted, that I find more fascinating than the previous one and it just shows what a monumentally disasterous job our developers have made of a once unbelievably delightful village of huge historic interest, sadly now almost all gone.

Date Posted: 24 November 2017 at 10:15am
The picture posted today looking down Gold Hill towards the village shows Fred Jarrets House and it's. Marked with a cross for some reason

Date Posted: 24 November 2017 at 10:46am
Maybe postmarked 1958, but no clock?

-------------
Hissing Sid

Posted By: Garry
Date Posted: 24 November 2017 at 11:16am
I was born in Chalfont St Peter in 1950 and I can only remember a post office in the Market Place once you had gone past the Vale walking down, It used to have a cigarette vending machine in the front that was accessible from the street.

Date Posted: 24 November 2017 at 11:22am
Watsy has shown an old coloured photo of the Greyhound circa 1968 showing the old Yellow & Black horse drawn carriage outside the pub. I remember this so well, John Tyler had the job of repainting it back then.
Sadly I remember seeing this coach laying on its side badly damaged on the Wycombe to Stokenchurch road as you went down the hill towards Stokenchurch there is a fairly sharp bend on your left and this was the spot where the coach lay.
I believe the owners of the Greyhound in those days had sold the carriage and the buyers I presume 'lost' their load on their way back to their destination wherever that may have been.

Date Posted: 24 November 2017 at 12:03pm
Originally posted by Garry Garry wrote:

I was born in Chalfont St Peter in 1950 and I can only remember a post office in the Market Place once you had gone past the Vale walking down, It used to have a cigarette vending machine in the front that was accessible from the street.

I guess I must have made a mistake in an earlier comment, re the cigarette machine. So what shop had the chocolate machine? That I remember so well.

-------------
Hissing Sid

Date Posted: 25 November 2017 at 7:43am
Originally posted by hissing sid hissing sid wrote:

I guess I must have made a mistake in an earlier comment, re the cigarette machine. So what shop had the chocolate machine? That I remember so well.

Ben's?

Art

-------------

Posted By: Rich Kid
Date Posted: 25 November 2017 at 11:52am
I do remember a cigarette vending machine at the front of the post office in Market Place down from Ben's.
Anyone remember the milk bar? As I recall there was the Co-Op on the corner of the Vale, next door was a bicycle shop and the milk bar was the next one up. The family running it eventually went to run a grocery store in Upton Lea Parade, Wexham Road, Slough.

-------------

Date Posted: 25 November 2017 at 1:12pm
You lads have started it now, the missus has now joined in and says she is sure the cigarette machine was on the right hand side and the chocolate machine was on the left hand side at the post office as you face the front.
The shop frontage did not run on a straight line, there was 2 big windows, one either side of the central door which was positioned about 2 feet back from the path edge and the windows ran diagonally out towards the ends and the front of the shop.
I used to do a paper round from 'Bens' in the early 60s and I don't remember a chocolate machine located there, however, I could be wrong, I just don't remember it.

Date Posted: 25 November 2017 at 1:26pm

You lads have started it now, the missus has now joined in and says she is sure the cigarette machine was on the right hand side and the chocolate machine was on the left hand side at the post office as you face the front.
The shop frontage did not run on a straight line, there was 2 big windows, one either side of the central door which was positioned about 2 feet back from the path edge and the windows ran diagonally out towards the ends and the front of the shop.
I used to do a paper round from 'Bens' in the early 60s and I don't remember a chocolate machine located there, however, I could be wrong, I just don't remember it.

Well there you go. Thanks for coming to my rescue Sherry. I was sure the chocolate machine was at the post office as I suggested a few weeks back.
It was a very narrow machine, I’m not sure if it was just one colum, definitely not more than two.

She is also quite correct about the shop front. The door was set in maybe a foot. So the shop front angled to meet the door, then back out to meet the next store.

-------------
Hissing Sid

Date Posted: 04 December 2017 at 9:52am
The picture of Market Place posted 30 November shows my late aunt in her green cardigan walking with her stick up the street past the Chinese restaurant. She lived in the 'Snapdragons' the house next door to the fish & chip shop. She worked for many years as a cashier in Bott's fishmongers in GX.

-------------

Date Posted: 04 January 2018 at 6:24pm
My best guess at "Chalfont Park Links Course, aka Gerrards Cross Golf Club." on Page 17 is that it is looking over the footpath, the Misbourne and the Lower Road just on the village side of the bottom of KIngsway with the houses in School Lane just visible going up from right to left. I think what is now the Cricket Pitch is a little bit behind the tree on the left

Art

-------------

Date Posted: 04 January 2018 at 6:35pm
You are basically correct but I would describe it as looking straight down the 2nd fairway

Posted By: emstdjm
Date Posted: 07 January 2018 at 11:44pm
In one of the photographs of the church it’s stated it’s taken from the meadows on which it is assumed now the site of the main car park in the scrap book in the library there is an article and picture that suggests that the article park is built on the church’s graveyard. Do we know if that is true and if there were and photographic record of the grave stones?

Also does anyone know when st peter’s Garden was laid out as it currently is?

emstdjm

Date Posted: 09 January 2018 at 9:41am
"The High Street no date but post 1904. Some horses taking a drink. Also the Greyhound." on page 17 must be post 1908 as the gas lamp is in the middle of the barrier.

Art

-------------

Date Posted: 09 January 2018 at 10:36am
Originally posted by emstdjm emstdjm wrote:

In one of the photographs of the church it’s stated it’s taken from the meadows on which it is assumed now the site of the main car park in the scrap book in the library there is an article and picture that suggests that the article park is built on the church’s graveyard. Do we know if that is true and if there were and photographic record of the grave stones?

Also does anyone know when st peter’s Garden was laid out as it currently is?

emstdjm

Not sure if it helps but above is from the 1923 revision of the OS map and this link to The Limes site:
http://www.the-limes.com/maps/chalfont-st-peter/csp-1900/" rel="nofollow - www.the-limes.com/maps/chalfont-st-peter/csp-1900/  shows the 1900 map.

Art

-------------

Date Posted: 23 January 2018 at 1:42am
Re the two pictures of the church posted 19th Jan & 22nd Jan. Although they are postmarked 1909 and 1942.
The second picture 1942, is older than the picture 1909. Looking at the bottom of the photo, it looks as if somebody has written 9-6-08. I think it would be fair to say that is closer to the date, the tree has all its limbs, were on the other picture they’ve been missing for awhile.
One other point of interest. In what could have been 1908, there was no clock on the church tower, plus what looks like a door. Where’s the picture with a postmark 1909, has a clock.
Does anybody know when the church was fitted with a clock on the tower?

-------------
Hissing Sid

Date Posted: 23 January 2018 at 10:13am
The PM'd 1909 picture was probably taken about 1907/8 as there is not a gas lamp in the middle of the row of pipes. The PM'd 1942 picture is more of a challenge. I reckon that the clock has been bleached out and perhaps the light has given an odd effect down the left hand edge of the 'door' as that is where the brickwork steps back. It almost looks as if the detail of the tower has been hand drawn in but I could be wrong.
The tree to the left of the main window - could the difference be due to growth rather than trimming?

Art

-------------

Date Posted: 23 January 2018 at 11:48am
Re the tree, I’m making reference to the big tree at the front. The picture with the limbs present were obviously taken, before the tree without the limbs. Taking into account, the ivy on the stump has recovered. I would suggest that picture was taken at least 3 years after the limbs were removed

-------------
Hissing Sid

Date Posted: 24 January 2018 at 12:24pm
Re the clock on the church tower, this was installed in 1805.

-------------
Hissing Sid

Date Posted: 26 January 2018 at 12:54pm
Looking at the old photo's I think the village would have possibly retained its more of its village feel if Market Place hadn't been built. The centre of the village may have been kept where it traditionally was, i.e., the High Street/Church area. Of course it also didn't need the hideous Precinct which came later! 
Yes Market Place and the Precinct provided more shops but at what price? Chalfont St Giles didn't suffer from such development and has retained its village feel, it's a pity CSP couldn't have done the same. Just saying ...

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.05 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2016 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.co.uk