Forum Description: Photos & History of Chalfont
URL: http://www.chalfontstpeter.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=7511
Printed Date: 18 October 2017 at 10:18am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.05 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Cinema GX
Posted By: Butterfly
Subject: Cinema GX
Date Posted: 07 November 2013 at 12:13pm
I went to the cinema yesterday and they have a lovely display of photos celebrating the 88 years since its opening.  What a shame that the 'local' paper hasn't pick up this story or perhaps I missed it.
My granny took me to see many wonderful films there like High Society and Oklahoma plus a yummy tub of icecream during the interval!!

Replies:
Posted By: phisch21
Date Posted: 07 November 2013 at 1:01pm
GX cinema is great and seems to be growing in popularity. It must have been under threat a few years ago but thankfully the local people (and some of the prices) keep it profitable. I remember the 80s when VHS was invented and cinema was meant to be killed off. Shame the old cinema in Beaconsfield was not returned to its former glory and instead has become another bland pizza chain. The Regal in Uxbridge also got killed off and it now a nightclub I think

-------------
foodfrom4.com

Posted By: Matty
Date Posted: 07 November 2013 at 4:46pm
I remember seeing Greace at gx !

Posted By: oldchris
Date Posted: 09 November 2013 at 3:34pm
I remember sneeking in to see Jaws, 77 i think?

-------------
stop HS2.

Date Posted: 09 November 2013 at 3:35pm
Originally posted by phisch21 phisch21 wrote:

GX cinema is great and seems to be growing in popularity. It must have been under threat a few years ago but thankfully the local people (and some of the prices) keep it profitable. I remember the 80s when VHS was invented and cinema was meant to be killed off. Shame the old cinema in Beaconsfield was not returned to its former glory and instead has become another bland pizza chain. The Regal in Uxbridge also got killed off and it now a nightclub I think

Regals has been a nightclub for about 30 years.

-------------
stop HS2.

Posted By: hissing sid
Date Posted: 09 November 2013 at 11:54pm
Originally posted by Matty Matty wrote:

I remember seeing Greace at gx !

I remember sitting in dirt and greace at the fle pit

-------------
Hissing Sid

It's a free country, adopt whatever PC stance you want. Just don't tell me which stance I should take just because it clashes with your opinion.

Posted By: dot poleykett
Date Posted: 18 April 2014 at 4:00pm
I remember the good old days when we used to sit on the side in the winter and put our feet on the hot pipes. And having to rush out before The
Queen" to catch the 305a that went accross gold hill common.

Posted By: Rich Kid
Date Posted: 30 April 2014 at 9:34am
I remember seeing, with a couple of friends, Alfred Hitchcock's 'Physco' at GX cinema (called the Essoldo then?). As it was an A rated film we got an 'adult' to buy us tickets!
Buy the cheapest and once in move up towards the better more expensive seats. In those days it was of course just the one screen.

-------------

Posted By: Sparkle
Date Posted: 30 April 2014 at 10:28am
I seem to remember it just being called The picture house, or maybe the playhouse.

Date Posted: 30 April 2014 at 11:10pm
Originally posted by Sparkle Sparkle wrote:

I seem to remember it just being called The picture house, or maybe the playhouse.

Yes, you're right Sparkle.

-------------

Date Posted: 30 April 2014 at 11:53pm
Playhouse, i thought

-------------
Hissing Sid

It's a free country, adopt whatever PC stance you want. Just don't tell me which stance I should take just because it clashes with your opinion.

Date Posted: 01 May 2014 at 11:29am
Ah, the days of usherettes with torches telling you to get back to the front 1/6d seats! As well as the main film you had a 'B' film plus a newsreel - what a bargain!

-------------

Posted By: Butterfly
Date Posted: 01 May 2014 at 5:01pm
Yep - it was the Playhouse.
Intervals and a tub of icecream!!!

Date Posted: 01 May 2014 at 7:33pm
As I remember it there was a separate programme on a Sunday.

-------------

Posted By: big baggles
Date Posted: 02 May 2014 at 9:08am
WESTLERS....... IN THE FOYER NOW !!!!

-------------
need a stella and i need one now !

Date Posted: 02 May 2014 at 11:23am
Originally posted by big baggles big baggles wrote:

WESTLERS....... IN THE FOYER NOW !!!!

How times change! Kia-Ora orange or a Lyons choc ice was the height of eating enjoyment back then!

-------------

Posted By: Angie Pitts
Date Posted: 17 May 2016 at 8:42am
I would love to see the old photos as my Aunty was cashier there for many years and her friends, Mr & Mrs Husted were the managers. They were originally from Belgium. It was great for me & my sister as on the Saturday matinees we would be led to the front of the long queue and let in early. I remember them saying that when the Bill Hayley film was shown there the Teddy Boys started ripping the cinema seats!

My mother also worked part time as an usherette and I remember her cycling home at night from Gerrards Cross and sometimes stopping off at the Chalfont chip shop at the bottom of the common and bringing us home hot chips which we ate in bed as a treat!

-------------
Angie Pitts (nee Soars)

Date Posted: 17 May 2016 at 11:54am
So many memorys, every thing from Jaws onwards.Hotdogs, Kia-ora to cornetto's.
The local adverts were a good one to, Prince of india..Lol.

-------------
stop HS2.

Date Posted: 17 May 2016 at 12:05pm
Originally posted by Angie Pitts Angie Pitts wrote:

I would love to see the old photos as my Aunty was cashier there for many years and her friends, Mr & Mrs Husted were the managers. They were originally from Belgium. It was great for me & my sister as on the Saturday matinees we would be led to the front of the long queue and let in early. I remember them saying that when the Bill Hayley film was shown there the Teddy Boys started ripping the cinema seats!

My mother also worked part time as an usherette and I remember her cycling home at night from Gerrards Cross and sometimes stopping off at the Chalfont chip shop at the bottom of the common and bringing us home hot chips which we ate in bed as a treat!

Brin Hardy's mother ( weedons close, Leachcroft) used to also be a cashier at the cinema

-------------
Hissing Sid

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.05 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2016 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.co.uk