Forum Description: Eating Out & What's On in Chalfont
URL: https://www.chalfontstpeter.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=7506
Printed Date: 24 April 2024 at 6:17am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.06 - https://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Raj Durbar
Posted By: Bucks Fizz
Subject: Raj Durbar
Date Posted: 03 November 2013 at 8:59am
Have eaten twice recently at Raj Durbar (formerly Tripti) and the meals and service have been excellent. My butter chicken and dall makhani were wonderful, and the garlic naan too. The prices are in my opinion highly competitive also. Although we all drank Cobra beer, I glanced at their wine list and they have some really decent wines on there too (eg the 'New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc' is Oyster Bay). Sadly though, it's been really quiet on Saturday evenings, so I guess people are not spending at the mo.

Replies:
Posted By: phisch21
Date Posted: 04 November 2013 at 10:25am
I love their dal makhani. That place is always much quieter than the others - it was when it was tripti too. Makes it very difficult eating in if you are one of only 2 or 3 tables.

-------------
foodfrom4.com

Posted By: EmmaO
Date Posted: 04 November 2013 at 6:23pm
We had a great take away from them last week, I usually get my takeaways from them. I rarely go in there for a sit down meal though, I'll make more effort!!

Posted By: timo_w2s
Date Posted: 04 November 2013 at 7:27pm
Originally posted by phisch21 phisch21 wrote:

I love their dal makhani. That place is always much quieter than the others - it was when it was tripti too. Makes it very difficult eating in if you are one of only 2 or 3 tables.

We often go early and are the only people there (except for a few picking up takeaways). Actually much prefer it to a noisy restaurant! (Like Wildwood)

-------------
Who is General Failure and why's he reading my hard disk?

Date Posted: 14 November 2013 at 6:32am
I'm with you on that, timo. Planning to go again this week. It'd be nice to feel I was a regular. And yes, the dal makhni (buttered dal lentils) is truly lovely. I think the naan is the best I've had anywhere too.

Posted By: dave
Date Posted: 28 December 2013 at 12:19am
Service and delivery was excellent. The meat was very good, the madras and balti sauces and naan were awesome. 

-------------
dave

Posted By: fitzy
Date Posted: 01 January 2014 at 12:35pm
Had an excellent take away last night. Simply the best curry house in the village imho

Posted By: Malc London
Date Posted: 01 January 2014 at 6:31pm
Taste is a matter of opinion, but I hope it's better than Tripti was.

Posted By: fitzy
Date Posted: 03 January 2014 at 5:50pm
Originally posted by Malc London Malc London wrote:

Taste is a matter of opinion, but I hope it's better than Tripti was.

You are right it is a mater of opinion. I saw your good review of spice and l will maybe give them another try, but I have found spice in the past bland on far to menny occasions

Date Posted: 03 January 2014 at 6:32pm
I found Tripti bland. Try the chicken chilli masala at Spice. Not too hot but tasty.

I wasn't going to bother with the CSP Indians as Malik's and Bawarchi were so good, but I'll give Spice another go.

Posted By: big baggles
Date Posted: 03 January 2014 at 9:00pm
try elaichi at cressex........see what you think......

-------------
need a stella and i need one now !

Posted By: hissing sid
Date Posted: 03 January 2014 at 9:31pm
Originally posted by big baggles big baggles wrote:

That's not keeping it local.

-------------
Hissing Sid

It's a free country, adopt whatever PC stance you want. Just don't tell me which stance I should take just because it clashes with your opinion.

Date Posted: 04 January 2014 at 8:51am
i dont have a problem with  an indian at one of the local  places- i choose to have my curry in CSP.... but if  some forum members dont like the local ones they may have to go further afield and get the car out.......

-------------

Date Posted: 04 January 2014 at 9:02am
Just for info, 'elaichi' means 'cardamom'. Raj Durbar ('Royal gathering') still has my vote tho. First rate food and service.

Posted By: Walrus
Date Posted: 04 January 2014 at 10:01pm
Has the lamb chop masala tonight. Super tasty.

-------------
Is back in the game! :)

Date Posted: 06 January 2014 at 1:32pm
Did you see the articles which reported that in some areas of the UK, up to 80% of lamb curry was not lamb?

Date Posted: 06 January 2014 at 6:28pm
Ooer Malc. What was it? If it was mutton or goat, that may not be too bad. When I lived in Pakistan I asked my local butcher if he ever had rabbit, as I am partial to bunny stew. He obtained me a well wrapped frozen one which, when defrosted and unwrapped, was plainly a cat! I changed my butcher sharpish.

Posted By: phisch21
Date Posted: 07 January 2014 at 9:15am
What's the difference? If you eat rabbit, or goat or anything else, why would you not eat cat?

-------------
foodfrom4.com

Date Posted: 07 January 2014 at 9:59am
so long as its cooked well  i dont see a problem, meat is meat, - personally i would rather not eat dog or cat ....

what i object to is the fact things are not what they claim, - if its  mutton mark it as mutton, or if its donkey so what so long as its correctly identified as donkey.. so customers can make an informed choice

if its stated as dog  curry or cat stew then at least the potential customer can work out if they are prepared to each such a dish...

having eaten god knows what in japan i am not that bothered now !!!

-------------

Date Posted: 07 January 2014 at 1:48pm
I don't think the report was suggesting anything too bad, but rather substituting Beef or Pork for Lamb as it's cheaper.

Date Posted: 07 January 2014 at 1:51pm

Looks good, interesting menu, but no prices!  Definately will try if in High Wycombe.

Posted By: oldchris
Date Posted: 07 January 2014 at 2:15pm
Alot of Lamb in curry houses is Mutton, at least it's the same animal.

-------------
stop HS2.

Posted By: AntonyMMM
Date Posted: 11 January 2014 at 1:20pm
Gradually stopped using the Tripti after finding its dishes became quite bland and overpriced, so after seeing the good reviews on the Raj Darbar on here I gave them a try for a takeaway last night.

Very impressed - best Indian meal I have had in a long time, and cheaper than the Tripti menu too.

Will definitely be returning. 

Posted By: Walrus
Date Posted: 11 January 2014 at 6:40pm
Originally posted by Malc London Malc London wrote:

Looks good, interesting menu, but no prices!  Definately will try if in High Wycombe.

Looks like a generic boring Indian to me. At least there are some specialities on the spice and raj durbar menus.

-------------
Is back in the game! :)

Date Posted: 12 January 2014 at 7:29pm
i must admit i have not been for a  year or two but elaichi was always good, good quality food, great service too,  - 

i have used spice, raj darbar and maliks, along with many others and find delhi spice perfectly acceptable.... the best curry i ever had was in huddersfield.....and it was probably mutton... !LOL

-------------

Posted By: dave
Date Posted: 14 February 2014 at 12:26am
The raj darbar s Sunday lunch curry buffet is an excellent find. Only £9.95 per head, 3 courses, all you can eat. The service was spot on, and the food was delicious - the saag aloo and fresh naans were a particular favourite. Highly recommended!

-------------
dave

Posted By: oldchris
Date Posted: 03 April 2014 at 1:32pm
Originally posted by dave dave wrote:

The raj darbar s Sunday lunch curry buffet is an excellent find. Only £9.95 per head, 3 courses, all you can eat. The service was spot on, and the food was delicious - the saag aloo and fresh naans were a particular favourite. Highly recommended!

Cannot eat curry during the day myself.

-------------
stop HS2.

Posted By: villager01
Date Posted: 06 April 2014 at 4:06pm
Hi, we ate there recently and were really impressed with the food. Really really tasty, and plenty of it. The service was also spot on. Will definitely be going back and will use this place for our takeaways from now on. Superb!

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.06 - https://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2023 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net