Forum Description: Eating Out & What's On in Chalfont
URL: https://www.chalfontstpeter.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=7288
Printed Date: 28 March 2024 at 11:43am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.06 - https://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Tripti
Posted By: Garry
Subject: Tripti
Date Posted: 23 April 2013 at 4:47pm
Somebody told me that they went up to Tripti the other night and they had one of the best Indian meals for a long time.
I used to really like the Tripti and after they had their problems and lost their chef their food unfortunately took a massive down turn, well it did for me and the wife as far as we was concerned.
Well another person echoed they had been back up there by recommendation and also had a tremendous meal, so we thought we would give it a try.

Last night, Monday 22 April 6 of us, (2 of them regular Spice goers) went in for a meal and I have got to say the food was superb, it reminded me of the food back many years ago from this restaurant, and we have found out why, the award winning chef from then is back and with some new dishes, and all 6 of us agreed without doubt that we would definately go back.

Very highly recommended.

Replies:
Posted By: rizzo
Date Posted: 23 April 2013 at 7:21pm
That's good news, I've alway preferred the Tripti to others in the village.

Posted By: EmmaO
Date Posted: 23 April 2013 at 7:49pm
Yes me too generally. I had a lovely take away from them the other week. Its been good again for a while.

Posted By: timo_w2s
Date Posted: 26 April 2013 at 10:59am
We've had some good meals from Tripti too recently.

-------------
Who is General Failure and why's he reading my hard disk?

Posted By: joshmeah
Date Posted: 08 May 2013 at 12:39am
thanks every one for nice feedback

Posted By: oldchris
Date Posted: 08 May 2013 at 12:34pm
good to hear.

-------------
stop HS2.

Posted By: swej
Date Posted: 07 June 2013 at 2:57pm
Wow things happen fast around here - when did the Tripti cease being the Tripti? It is now called the Raj something or other. Or has it been like that for a while now and I just didn't notice?

Posted By: lesleyr
Date Posted: 07 June 2013 at 3:08pm
There was a sign writing van parked outside at about 1pm, never took much notice until they pulled out and nearly went into the side of my car !!

Date Posted: 07 June 2013 at 3:53pm
they were putting up the new sign at lunchtimetoday.

-------------
stop HS2.

Date Posted: 07 June 2013 at 4:23pm
Oh no, I hope it's still the same food.

-------------

Posted By: Garry
Date Posted: 08 June 2013 at 11:58pm
The staff have purchased the business from the old boss (remember the old boy from years ago) and have just renamed the restaurant because the old boy has kept the Tripti name.

Date Posted: 09 June 2013 at 9:56am
Thanks, sounds like I can relax again. Out of all the Indian restaurants in the area this one has been our favourite for many years.

-------------

Date Posted: 13 June 2013 at 11:59am
My Dad and I popped in yesterday to try out the new Raj Darbar and we where both very impressed. Nicely redecorated inside and out (no more orange) but more importantly the food was excellent. (Service was good too but as we went early we where the only ones there)

The menu has changed slightly so there are some new dishes and some of the prices have been reduced a little too.

They have other plans too like a Sunday lunch buffet which could be good.

I would recommend anyone who hasn't been for a while to check them out. They have new website too at http://www.rajdarbar.co.uk/ - www.rajdarbar.co.uk where you can find the menu.

-------------

Posted By: phisch21
Date Posted: 13 June 2013 at 1:48pm
I got a menu pushed through my letterbox the other day - looks a little more interesting than the old tripti one

Posted By: fitzy
Date Posted: 15 June 2013 at 8:53am
Had a take away last night. Food was very good and prices are pretty good too

Posted By: big baggles
Date Posted: 18 June 2013 at 3:53pm
tired it last night with 3 pals, - starters, mains, and side dishes, rice and naans and a 'few'  beers... .bill was £120
service was good - (but it was quiet so it should have been good ! )
staff were attentive and  the food was delicious- i'll go back

-------------
need a stella and i need one now !

Date Posted: 19 June 2013 at 9:34am
They now have dal makhani on the menu - recommended

Posted By: nicnac
Date Posted: 21 June 2013 at 1:02pm
If the food really is that good, why are they always empty? Delhi Spice seems to be busier than Tripti, but ive heard that there food isnt as good.

Spice and Maliks in GX seem to always be packed though.

Posted By: Malc London
Date Posted: 21 June 2013 at 2:11pm
Had a take out from Delhi Spice as I couldn't be bothered going to GX. It was ok, portions were far too big. I think it's worth going the extra mile (or two) and going to Maliks or Barwarchi.

Date Posted: 21 June 2013 at 4:32pm
Originally posted by Malc London Malc London wrote:

Had a take out from Delhi Spice as I couldn't be bothered going to GX. It was ok, portions were far too big. I think it's worth going the extra mile (or two) and going to Maliks or Barwarchi.

No need when Raj Darbar do such great food

btw Delhi Spice deliver - at least they did when they first opened

Date Posted: 21 June 2013 at 7:54pm
delhi spice do their own loyalty card, they also accept tastecards too, which means you can have a curry with a discount, - this brings them a fair amount of business during the week with people taking advantage of the offers...

neither spice or 'raj d's' accept tastecard ( yet ) so they seem quiet during the week.....

-------------

Posted By: watsy
Date Posted: 22 June 2013 at 10:49pm
Had a great meal with the family at the Old Tripti / Raj D's this evening. Very tasty and good service as always.

Posted By: Guests
Date Posted: 23 June 2013 at 1:01pm
Had a good meal at Delhi Spice yesterday evening, first time. Staff v friendly and ambiance great (a bit cold I don't like air conditioning!). We used the VIP card they have been selling in the area. We walked back and Spice was not as busy as Delhi. It was really busy in Delhi. We used to favour Spice but are now going to use Delhi Spice as they are cheaper and we can use the advantage card. We didn't think Spice was as good as it has been. The Italian restaurant was packed when we walked past, good sign.

Date Posted: 25 June 2013 at 7:02pm
Hmm, bit surprised to hear that. I was in Spice that night and it was very busy. I had booked and had to wait for a table. They even were turning people away at the door who hadnt booked. Was busy, but had a lovely special chicken dish......was definitely worth the wait! love that place!

Posted By: Guests
Date Posted: 26 June 2013 at 11:15pm
Yep it was busy but not as busy as it used to be. Walked past at about 10pm.

Date Posted: 28 June 2013 at 11:04am
went into delhi spice on wednesday night with the family, - we went early about 6-45 and it was a fairly busy-

wednesday night is their banquet offer which i think  brings the punters in,

bythe time we left  nearly every table in delhi spice was occupied,  as we walked past spice we could not say the same...

like the raj place too but delhi spice  wins on economics  as it takes the tastecard....

-------------

Date Posted: 28 June 2013 at 2:22pm
What is their banquet offer?

and why do they list fish dishes under their vegetarian menu on the website? they clearly don't understand what a vegetarian is

Date Posted: 28 June 2013 at 7:15pm
banquet i think is any starter, any main, rice dish, veg side dish and naan bread and coffee for £12-95

(i think the king prawn mains add a surcharge of £2-50)
we didnt have it so not 100% sure

i too think its funny about the vegetarian menu layout, - 'fish is meat' !!!

-------------

Date Posted: 28 June 2013 at 9:09pm
I've known a few "vegetarians" who eat fish. Always thought that was a bit odd.

-------------

Date Posted: 28 June 2013 at 11:01pm
thats my missus !- veggie but eats fish !

-------------

Posted By: Nessun Dorma
Date Posted: 01 July 2013 at 12:07am
Originally posted by big baggles big baggles wrote:

There is no such thing as a vegetarian who eats fish.

Date Posted: 01 July 2013 at 9:25am
Originally posted by Nessun Dorma Nessun Dorma wrote:

Exactly my point.

And restaurants should know this, particularly those selling dishes inspired by countries where vast numbers of the population are vegetarian

Posted By: Nessun Dorma
Date Posted: 01 July 2013 at 11:14am
Originally posted by phisch21 phisch21 wrote:

Originally posted by Nessun Dorma Nessun Dorma wrote:

Exactly my point.

And restaurants should know this, particularly those selling dishes inspired by countries where vast numbers of the population are vegetarian

The Ivy House used to do this and when I brought it to their attention, I was accused of not knowing what I was talking about; despite being a vegetarian for the last twenty-five years and having trained as a chef, worked in the catering industry for nearly twenty years and having a reasonable education.

Posted By: Bucks Fizz
Date Posted: 01 July 2013 at 1:34pm
So Tripti's is no more? Sorry that I've been too lazy to trawl through to the beginning of this thread and read all the posts. Good luck to them. I look forward to trying out the new cuisine.

Posted By: brewski
Date Posted: 01 July 2013 at 2:22pm
Had a good meal in there last night.

Highly recommended..

-------------
Too many laws...
Too few examples...

Posted By: Chilternman
Date Posted: 03 July 2013 at 7:00am
It was never the same after they did the refurb and it changed from being what I think of as an Indian restaurant (more like the next one down) into a modern art gallery. I go to an Indian for an experience and the decor is very much part of it, I was very sad when they changed it.

Posted By: FayR
Date Posted: 03 July 2013 at 10:44am
Went last night and although the food was ok and good value for the banquet night, I won't be going back in a hurry!! Delhi is still by far the best for taste and their service is much better!

Date Posted: 03 July 2013 at 11:22am
Had a takeaway from there the other night - not great. They should restyle it completely into something more like Masala Zone or Dishoom. All the curry houses in CSP and GX are pretty much the same

Posted By: EmmaO
Date Posted: 03 July 2013 at 11:39am

Had a takeaway from there the other night - not great. They should restyle it completely into something more like Masala Zone or Dishoom. All the curry houses in CSP and GX are pretty much the same

Sorry phisch21 from new tripti or delhi spice?

Date Posted: 03 July 2013 at 1:10pm

. All the curry houses in CSP and GX are pretty much the same

Have to strongly disagree with that. GX curry houses are far superior, almost as good as South Harrow.

Never had a really nice curry from CSP having tried them all a number of times. Spice is probably the best in my opinion, although I appreciate that people have different tastes. If you like Tripti, you'll probably not like GX curries.

Date Posted: 03 July 2013 at 1:37pm

Have to strongly disagree with that. GX curry houses are far superior, almost as good as South Harrow.

Never had a really nice curry from CSP having tried them all a number of times. Spice is probably the best in my opinion, although I appreciate that people have different tastes. If you like Tripti, you'll probably not like GX curries.

I like Maliks in GX for a change now and then but prefer Tripti/Raj Darbar.

Not so keen on the restaurant on the A40 by the fire station though. I haven't tried the others in GX.

-------------

Date Posted: 03 July 2013 at 2:14pm
Takeaway was from the restaurant formerly known as Tripti. What I mean by they are all the same is the menus are all pretty much the same. The taste differs a little, but the choice of dishes is very limited

Posted By: Walrus
Date Posted: 06 July 2013 at 6:01am
Had a takeaway from there last night. Not bad. Specials choice wasn't great but had the lamb chop special. It was very tasty and full of flavour. The misses had a CTM which had loads of chicken in it and full but not to heavy sauce.

There is still news stories and "curry chef of the year" awards from 2001 on the wall that relate to Tripti. Not exactly current!

-------------
Is back in the game! :)

Date Posted: 10 July 2013 at 11:21pm

. All the curry houses in CSP and GX are pretty much the same

The owner of spice used to manage curry mahal in south harrow many years ago, that was a nice place back in the day!

Posted By: Yorkie
Date Posted: 01 August 2013 at 5:20pm
I went there last night and was not impressed, the food was bland and atmosphere was lacking, and why can not a curry house sell proper ale?

Posted By: Chilternman
Date Posted: 01 August 2013 at 10:00pm
Can't comment on the food as I won't eat in a place where the decor reminds me of Habitat! I want flock wallpaper with elephants on and Indian music and plastic vegetation, with dim lighting and tables separated for some privacy and maybe a fish tank. Hmmm now where do I remember that from?
Have to agree with the real ale comment but many would say that a Cobra is the only drink to accompany a curry.

Date Posted: 02 August 2013 at 1:08pm
There used to be such a place in GX until a few years ago, next door to Maliks. Had everything a 1970's authentic Indian Restaraunt could wish for, and the food wasn't bad either.

I'm sure the setting will come back in some retro setting in the future, along with a Berni selling Prawn Cocktail, Sirloin Steak and Black Forest Gateau.

Perhaps we might even have Kebabs that don't fall apart.

Date Posted: 02 August 2013 at 5:31pm
I have always been a fan of Tripti, but, having had an average take away from there some weeks ago I thought I'd give Delhi Spice a try. Mainly because they offer a choice of main dishes that contain neither meat nor fish. I was very impressed and have now switched my allegiance to Delhi Spice.

I do still prefer to make my own, but some days cooking can be too much effort.

Posted By: Yorkie
Date Posted: 02 August 2013 at 9:58pm
I do like a cobra, as it is not to gassy, but a nice rebellion ipa would go nicely.

Posted By: Bucks Fizz
Date Posted: 10 August 2013 at 1:45pm
Four of us dined out at Raj Durbar (formerly Tripti's) last night for the first time since the staff took it over. It was sad that there were so few diners in on a Friday night (though lots calling for takeaways) because the meal was absolutely sumptuous (esp my butter chicken and the naans, also the tarka dall, and ....)and the bill was far less than we expected. Add to that the warm and friendly yet very discreet (attentive but not hovering) service, and it all made for a truly lovely evening. We were made to feel most welcome indeed. Will certainly visit again very soon. Thank you Raj Durbar (and eid Mubarak to you).

Date Posted: 23 September 2013 at 9:35am

I have always been a fan of Tripti, but, having had an average take away from there some weeks ago I thought I'd give Delhi Spice a try. Mainly because they offer a choice of main dishes that contain neither meat nor fish. I was very impressed and have now switched my allegiance to Delhi Spice.

I do still prefer to make my own, but some days cooking can be too much effort.

I was perhaps a little hasty - Friday night take away from Delhi Spice - horrid! Think I'll stick to making my own from now on

-------------
foodfrom4.com

Date Posted: 23 September 2013 at 3:12pm
had an 'eat in' from delhi spice exactly a week ago, i thought it was better than ever, only let down by the fact there was no ' railway lamp chops' avaialble... shame... its a good dish

sometimes have to check their adding up too as the bill is not always as it seems.....

but food still good and i go for the food, not the accountancy skills !

-------------

Date Posted: 30 September 2013 at 5:30am

[QUOTE=phisch21]

I was perhaps a little hasty - Friday night take away from Delhi Spice - horrid! Think I'll stick to making my own from now on

Budgens do a rather good curry mix in the cold cabinet. In a medium white pot. Best curry in Chalfont. Just add your own meat and onions.

Beware though, the medium curry is quite hot. Dare not try the hot one.

Date Posted: 30 September 2013 at 9:41am

Just add your own meat and onions.

or veg

Smile

-------------
foodfrom4.com

Date Posted: 30 September 2013 at 6:03pm
i prefer the Chinese curry paste from Tesco, just add water, just buy the mild one.

-------------
stop HS2.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.06 - https://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2023 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net