Print Page | Close Window

They are going to kill themselves.......

Printed From: Chalfont St Peter
Category: General
Forum Name: Forum Of The Damned
Forum Description: Where threads about speeding go to die
URL: http://www.chalfontstpeter.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=6790
Printed Date: 15 December 2017 at 1:56pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.05 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: They are going to kill themselves.......
Posted By: PeaBee
Subject: They are going to kill themselves.......
Date Posted: 24 May 2012 at 5:56pm
or somebody else....................driving like they do on their motorbikes.(wheelies etc at ridiculous speeds)
Grove Lane..............last seen turning into LeachcroftAngryAngryAngry

Replies:
Posted By: village idiot
Date Posted: 24 May 2012 at 8:47pm
police know who they are don't do anything about them though

Posted By: Roy B
Date Posted: 24 May 2012 at 8:59pm
Its that time of year again, one flew up and down Glebe Road the other night.

Posted By: brolte
Date Posted: 24 May 2012 at 9:59pm
wow flying motobikes

Posted By: Malc London
Date Posted: 25 May 2012 at 12:33pm
Stolen motorbikes?

Posted By: oldchris
Date Posted: 25 May 2012 at 1:54pm
Originally posted by Malc London Malc London wrote:

Stolen motorbikes?

not sure about that one malc, just idiots that have been in the sun to long.

-------------
stop HS2.

Date Posted: 25 May 2012 at 4:12pm
Originally posted by brolte brolte wrote:

wow flying motobikes
Unbeleivable I know, it must have been a Honda GoldWING LOLLOLLOL

Date Posted: 25 May 2012 at 4:22pm
These are big road bikes with registration, I know that doesn't always say they are not stolen but the times of the day they are around and the frequency it doesn't give that impression. 

Posted By: Annoying Jamie
Date Posted: 31 May 2012 at 10:15am
Originally posted by village idiot village idiot wrote:

police know who they are don't do anything about them though

Of course they dont, far better to pick on decent people going 3 mile over the limit on the way to work.

Posted By: kermie55
Date Posted: 31 May 2012 at 6:31pm
Will probably get shot in flames but here goes. People who blatantly drive well above the speed limit cause alot of problems, noise pollution, nuisance, injury, death etc. The people who do drive well above the speed limit are few and far between. The majority of people do drive a few mph over the speed limit and in doing so increase braking and thinking distance, basic physics, so when someone unexpectedly steps out onto the road a driver would be less able to stop because of the extra speed.

Date Posted: 31 May 2012 at 8:39pm
So we need to educate people not to walk out in front of cars without looking, because it doesn't matter if you are going 30mph or 33mph, if someone steps out then they are going to be hit. The stopping distance at 3mph is almost immediate, try it.

Date Posted: 31 May 2012 at 10:04pm
malc, that might be true, but the difference of been hit at 30 to 40 say, is they keep their life!
even 3 mph makes a difference.

-------------
stop HS2.

Posted By: lesleyr
Date Posted: 31 May 2012 at 10:53pm
I think if you look at accidental deaths caused by cars you will find that the majority of them are in built up areas with speed limits of 30 -40 miles an hour. where the driver was only going a few miles over the speed limit.

Date Posted: 31 May 2012 at 11:32pm
3mph makes no difference if someone walks in front of a car without looking . A car can kill someone at 20 mph.

Date Posted: 01 June 2012 at 1:05pm
Malc, a vehicle travelling at 32mph will take longer to stop, the vehicle will still be travelling at 11mph at the point where a vehicle travelling at 30mph would have stopped. And as you pointed out being hit at that speed is going to do damage.

Date Posted: 01 June 2012 at 2:00pm

Rubbish.  We are not driving Austin 1100's anymore. Basically it's like driving at 2mph and stopping sharply. How does that turn into 11mph?

A slight increase in thinking distance but then that depends on the driver. Someone driving at 20 mph and tuning in their radio is far more dangerous than someone slightly over the speed limit.

Posted By: Walrus
Date Posted: 01 June 2012 at 2:02pm
It takes an extra 13ft to stop travelling at 33mph as opposed to 30mph.

So more like they will still be travelling at 8mph when the would have stopped, if driving at 30mph.

Those caculations are done from the highway code books on stopping distances. 

-------------
Is back in the game! :)

Date Posted: 01 June 2012 at 2:06pm
Yes, the highway code book written around 1962.

Date Posted: 01 June 2012 at 2:07pm
and ammended up to present day.

I tell you what malc...

You stand on a road 75ft away and ill drive at 33mph and we will see if i run your over or not.

Deal?

-------------

Posted By: big baggles
Date Posted: 01 June 2012 at 2:12pm
never mind the stored energy in an object travelling  for an extra 13 feet,

thats the energy when in collision with a human being does  the damage....

sorry malc but you are very very wrong on this one...got nothing to do with austin 1100s its all to do with weight, velocity and  the stored energy which does the damage....

modern cars are designed to crumple more and absorb more energy in a collision but  you are still being hit by a large lump of metal plastic and glass-  there will still be enegry  as part of that collision, it cant all dissapear.....it just means less energy is directed into the pedestrian...

-------------
need a stella and i need one now !

Date Posted: 01 June 2012 at 2:13pm
If you can't stop in 75 feet, then you need brakes checked.

I don't think the highway code has ever been amended with regards to stopping distances.  It was the same in 1962 as 2012.

Date Posted: 01 June 2012 at 2:19pm
Yawn. Bore off.

-------------

Posted By: big baggles
Date Posted: 01 June 2012 at 2:23pm

i accept car braking systems have come a long way over the years, and yes cars do stop quicker nowadays, - but you still cannot account for all road surfaces being the same, for all road conditions being alike can you...? 
 there are certain road surfaces where grip is better than others, concrete preformed sections  are poor surfaces in the wet compared to asphalt, - check out the M25 from the A3 towards redhill for an example...you get better traction and grip ( so stopping and braking too) on asphalt

and we have larger more powerful cars, which in many cases are heavier too, we have cars that accellrate alot quicker which are all factors in a collision......

but back to speed....

but quite simply  if you were to be in colision with any moving object, whatever it is, you want the impact speed to be as low as possible....simple fact, therefore a car travelling within the speed limit  has to be a more favourable option than being in collision which a car travelling at a higher speed above the speed limit... simple

less energy needs absorbing in the collision- therefore lower speed is more favourable...

i cant make it any simpler than that for you.... speeding causes bigger injuries....

-------------
need a stella and i need one now !

Posted By: Dave-R
Date Posted: 01 June 2012 at 3:16pm
Speeding doesnt cause any injuries, collisions do. Back to the original point whats being done about these speeding bikers?Nothing?Theres a surprise.

Date Posted: 04 June 2012 at 8:49am
Dave-R, why should we do anything about these speeding bikers? as you said "Speeding doesn't cause any injuries"

Date Posted: 04 June 2012 at 8:27pm
Dont be silly "kermie55", what they are doing,having witnessed it myself, is downright dangerous. A sober sensible person going 3 over the limit is not.

Date Posted: 05 June 2012 at 3:36pm
Speeding is speeding, no matter how far over the limit it is.

Date Posted: 05 June 2012 at 4:52pm

Ah someone doing 33in a 30 should get the same punishment as someone doing wheelies at 60 in a 30? What planet do you live on?

Date Posted: 05 June 2012 at 5:47pm
Originally posted by Dave-R Dave-R wrote:

Ah someone doing 33in a 30 should get the same punishment as someone doing wheelies at 60 in a 30? What planet do you live on?

Dave, they don't
doing wheelies at 60 in a 30 zone is dangerous driving which is 6 points, a court appearance and a big fine or even a ban, doing 33mph in a 30 is 3 points and a small fine.

-------------
stop HS2.

Date Posted: 05 June 2012 at 6:56pm
Straying 3 over the limit is something everyone on here who has been driving for more than a day has done, if you say you havent you are a liar. 60 in a 30 while doing wheelies should be a ban, 33 in a 30 while well aware of the surroundings should be a word about watching your speed, nothing more.

Date Posted: 05 June 2012 at 7:33pm

Straying 3 over the limit is something everyone on here who has been driving for more than a day has done, if you say you havent you are a liar. 60 in a 30 while doing wheelies should be a ban, 33 in a 30 while well aware of the surroundings should be a word about watching your speed, nothing more.

Chris, it's not just a small fine. It's years of higher insurance premiums. There used to be a discretion and police would let you go with a warning. Now, it's no leeway. Yet the punishment remains the same.

Everyone, even police officers, go over the limit because it's artificially low. (20mph on some main roads).

As for bikers, well they generally kill themselves eventually.

Date Posted: 05 June 2012 at 8:34pm
If people are aware of their surroundings while going over the speed limit how come loads of people get done for speeding each year??

Date Posted: 05 June 2012 at 8:38pm
If someone doesn't pay taxes, they get slated
If someone fiddles expenses, they get slated
If someone STICKS TO THE SPEED LIMIT, THEY GET SLATED
How does that work?????????????

Posted By: lesleyr
Date Posted: 05 June 2012 at 9:16pm
Its simple the speed limit on any given road is the maximim we should drive at if we get caught going over that limit then generally its 3 points and a fine if you are excessively over then its usually court and possible a larger fine and more points or a ban. None of us like it because it takes away our hard learnt money.It has nothing to do with crimes being commited by anybody else you break the law you pay the price.

Date Posted: 05 June 2012 at 10:13pm

Chris, it's not just a small fine. It's years of higher insurance premiums. There used to be a discretion and police would let you go with a warning. Now, it's no leeway. Yet the punishment remains the same.

Everyone, even police officers, go over the limit because it's artificially low. (20mph on some main roads).

As for bikers, well they generally kill themselves eventually.

if they have insurance, some don't.
1 million cars and bikes on the road don't have any.

-------------
stop HS2.

Date Posted: 06 June 2012 at 6:20am
Originally posted by kermie55 kermie55 wrote:

If people are aware of their surroundings while going over the speed limit how come loads of people get done for speeding each year??

The speed 'limit' is set at a speed you are expected to be driving at. If you drive under the limit you are a potential hazard. For example, if you drive at 40mph on the A40 between GX and Beaconsfield you are liable to be overtaken, because you are expected to be driving at the maximum of 50mph.

All speed limits should be increased by 10mph to allow for different conditions. The speed limit is the same on a clear day with no traffic as on a rainy dark night.

The reason people get done is because the speed "limit" is set too low and this only becomes an issue when police decide to target a particular road.

Unless you are looking constantly at the speedo and not the road ahead, then you will at some point break the speed limit, like the majority of drivers.

Posted By: ArtB
Date Posted: 06 June 2012 at 7:14am
Forum of the Damned??

Art

-------------
*** If you're not part of the solution, you may be part of the problem!

Date Posted: 06 June 2012 at 8:04am
Originally posted by ArtB ArtB wrote:

Forum of the Damned??

Art

A dozen contributors, nearly 1400 views, one of the most popular in postings, what else is a forum for?

The unpopular subjects soon go down the page.

Posted By: timo_w2s
Date Posted: 06 June 2012 at 10:55am

Unless you are looking constantly at the speedo and not the road ahead, then you will at some point break the speed limit, like the majority of drivers.

Nope, seems a lot of people here think they are prefect drivers so would never go over the limit.

-------------
Who is General Failure and why's he reading my hard disk?

Date Posted: 06 June 2012 at 11:39am

Who sets the speed limit anyway?Some clueless council drone. Thats why so many roads are artificially low. I mean 40 between Beaconsfield and Holtspur please. Even traffic police say thats too low.

Posted By: phisch21
Date Posted: 06 June 2012 at 1:15pm

So average speed cameras are the answer then?

Posted By: timo_w2s
Date Posted: 06 June 2012 at 1:38pm
Originally posted by phisch21 phisch21 wrote:

So average speed cameras are the answer then?

It's not good for me, when I'm in an average speed check area I'm looking more at my speedo than usual.

-------------
Who is General Failure and why's he reading my hard disk?

Posted By: Paul_G
Date Posted: 06 June 2012 at 3:01pm

Who sets the speed limit anyway?Some clueless council drone. Thats why so many roads are artificially low. I mean 40 between Beaconsfield and Holtspur please. Even traffic police say thats too low.

I actually contacted the council to oppose the reduction on this one.

I got an email reply a while later along the lines of 'Thank you for responding and your comments have been duly noted etc.  The decision is to go ahead with the reduction anyway.'

Where it gets interesting is that instead of putting the email recipients in the bcc field, Ms Council put them in the cc field. So I replied (copy all) stating I didn't like my email address being broadcast like that.  I got an apology a week or so later but in the meanwhile there ensued an emotive email flurry between the 9 contributors.  Seems that all 9 opposed the reduction.

Now maybe the respondants (if any) for the reduction were contacted separately, but it seemed to me the council's response was generic to go to everyone.  That being so, all respondants were ignored and the 'consultation' was a sham just to complete the paperwork required by law.

Was it a couple of years ago there was a mass 'consultation' on changing a large number of speed limits in the area?  As far as I could tell all were reduction and pretty much all proposed by the council were adopted by the council.

Bottom line?  IMO the council don't listen to the electorate and don't represent their views.

P

Date Posted: 06 June 2012 at 3:53pm

I used to do a fair bit of work for councils and i find them to be the most horrible,know all, arrogant and ignorant people out there.

A good friend of mine is a traffic cop based at Wycombe, he has 16 years traffic experience and says at least a third of roads have too low a speed limit. My guess is he knows more about speeds,braking,dangerous conditions, etc than some random council drone. 

Posted By: ArtB
Date Posted: 06 June 2012 at 4:28pm

Originally posted by ArtB ArtB wrote:

Forum of the Damned??

Art

A dozen contributors, nearly 1400 views, one of the most popular in postings, what else is a forum for?

The unpopular subjects soon go down the page.

Well that's what I always used to think Malc but there was the outcry about order in the forum with one of the directives that we were given being that speed related items with a differing opinion should go in Forum of the Damned as the arguments always continually go round and round the same old arguments.

If it has a dozen contributors and 1400 views it should still get that elsewhere, might make that area of the forum better used.

Art

-------------
*** If you're not part of the solution, you may be part of the problem!

Date Posted: 06 June 2012 at 4:39pm

I used to do a fair bit of work for councils and i find them to be the most horrible,know all, arrogant and ignorant people out there.

A good friend of mine is a traffic cop based at Wycombe, he has 16 years traffic experience and says at least a third of roads have too low a speed limit. My guess is he knows more about speeds,braking,dangerous conditions, etc than some random council drone. 

We should have voted Brian Paddick in as Mayor of London

Date Posted: 06 June 2012 at 6:36pm
I didnt get a vote at the mayoral elections so to be honest didnt pay too much attention to their manifestos.What did Paddick's say?

Date Posted: 06 June 2012 at 7:59pm
No idea, but he's an ex copper trying to find a place in local politics. Just the kind of person who can set sensible speed limits

Posted By: isntitnice
Date Posted: 07 June 2012 at 11:26am

The speed 'limit' is set at a speed you are expected to be driving at. If you drive under the limit you are a potential hazard. For example, if you drive at 40mph on the A40 between GX and Beaconsfield you are liable to be overtaken, because you are expected to be driving at the maximum of 50mph.

All speed limits should be increased by 10mph to allow for different conditions. The speed limit is the same on a clear day with no traffic as on a rainy dark night.

The reason people get done is because the speed "limit" is set too low and this only becomes an issue when police decide to target a particular road.

So wrong. I think you would benefit from a 'refresher' driving lesson or at least a seminar.

Date Posted: 07 June 2012 at 12:59pm
Originally posted by isntitnice isntitnice wrote:

So wrong. I think you would benefit from a 'refresher' driving lesson or at least a seminar.

OK, so you think the speed limit driving on a clear day with no traffic should be the same at night in pouring rain with no street lights?  Or do you think the limit is set at the lowest for all eventualities?

Next, try driving down the A413 towards Chalfont St Giles at 20mph, and see how long it is before someone tries to overtake you.

Or if you prefer, try the A40 towards Beaconsfield and drive at 35mph. You will almost certainly cause a near miss head on collision.

83% of motorist admit to speeding.  I would suggest that this figure would be higher if it included people who do speed but don't admit it, or didn't realise they were.

Date Posted: 07 June 2012 at 1:03pm

Or if you prefer, try the A40 towards Beaconsfield and drive at 35mph. You will almost certainly cause a near miss head on collision.

So drive at 50 when it's clear and at 35 when it's raining, icy, etc. no need to increase the limit. It won't be you causing an accident, it will be the impatience of the driver behind you

Date Posted: 07 June 2012 at 1:29pm
That's what I do.  What I am saying is that speed limits have no such descretion and are generally too low for perfect conditions.

The speed limit from the Target to Polish War Memorial is 50mph. Any reason why? No houses, no pedestrians and the same road becomes 70mph just after. 

If the speed limits are too low, of course people are going to break them.  

Date Posted: 07 June 2012 at 1:38pm

Originally posted by isntitnice isntitnice wrote:

OK, so you think the speed limit driving on a clear day with no traffic should be the same at night in pouring rain with no street lights?  Or do you think the limit is set at the lowest for all eventualities?

Next, try driving down the A413 towards Chalfont St Giles at 20mph, and see how long it is before someone tries to overtake you.

Seriously, take a driving lesson or attend a speed awareness course where you can discuss your compelling ideas on road safety.

Date Posted: 07 June 2012 at 2:40pm

The speed limit from the Target to Polish War Memorial is 50mph. Any reason why? No houses, no pedestrians and the same road becomes 70mph just after. 

50mph heading into town due to the road narrowing to two lanes then a third lane merging, then narrowing back to two I imagine.

50mph heading out of town - no idea, maybe because it has to be the same limit in both directions? or perhaps as it is a busy stretch of road a lot of the time and hence care needs to be taken with traffic merging from the left (and idiots who have to get straigh into the middle lane

Date Posted: 07 June 2012 at 4:35pm
Originally posted by phisch21 phisch21 wrote:

50mph heading out of town - no idea, maybe because it has to be the same limit in both directions? or perhaps as it is a busy stretch of road a lot of the time and hence care needs to be taken with traffic merging from the left (and idiots who have to get straigh into the middle lane

Doesn't have to be, but its simpler.  There are some bozo's out there that would moan its too complicated otherwise.
A slower speed also helps traffic flow

-------------

Date Posted: 07 June 2012 at 5:08pm
Isntitnice, I have taken driving courses, have you?

Date Posted: 07 June 2012 at 6:12pm
I know someone who went on a speed awareness course. They were told have fast you can travel on the M25 before the camera is activated.

Remember, 83% of drivers admit to going over the limit.

Date Posted: 07 June 2012 at 6:34pm
83% of drivers admit to breaking the limit, 17% of drivers are liars!
Ive done advanced driving courses almost to the level of traffic pursuit officers. Never done a speed awareness course but ive heard that they talk about crashes at 130mph which is a bit odd considering the only people that go on those are people who have gone within 12 mph of the limit i believe?

Date Posted: 08 June 2012 at 2:41pm

Isntitnice, I have taken driving courses, have you?

That's good to know, I'm sure we're all safer for it .

Date Posted: 08 June 2012 at 6:15pm
Dave-R. Speed awareness courses do not talk about 130mph crashes.

Date Posted: 09 June 2012 at 12:34pm
Quite rightly been moved to the right forum area. CSP will get a reputation about people saying speeding doesn't kill otherwise.

I'm sure no one wants that.

-------------

Date Posted: 09 June 2012 at 2:04pm
You lot wont be happy till the speed limit is 6mph. Why dont you go live on that island that Abba woman lives on. They dont have one car there.

Date Posted: 09 June 2012 at 2:06pm

Ive been on a speed awareness course and yes they showed us pictures of a crash on the M1 where the car that caused the whole thing was estimated to have been doing 133mph.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.05 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2016 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.co.uk