URL: https://www.chalfontstpeter.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=5828
Printed Date: 24 April 2024 at 12:41am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.06 - https://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Old village toy shop
Posted By: village idiot
Subject: Old village toy shop
Date Posted: 17 September 2010 at 7:36pm
Does anyone remember what the old toy shop in the village was called
it was about half way up the market place,it was run by a scary old scottish lady.I used to go in there after school (1973 ish)

Replies:
Posted By: oldchris
Date Posted: 17 September 2010 at 8:43pm
don't remember that i think
i remember the bike shop with a small toy shop up the stairs in the 70's up by where domino's is now.

Date Posted: 18 September 2010 at 10:23am
blimey yes i remember the bike shop thats brought back some memories! the shop im on about was further down the market place

Date Posted: 19 September 2010 at 4:35pm
found out the name of the old toy shop it was called Harolds

Posted By: JohnohUK
Date Posted: 20 September 2010 at 12:53pm
I remember the bike shop... used to go up there in the 70's every Saturday to look at the airfix kits on the left hand side on the balcony bit.... and then to buy balsa wood for model planes...

The other toy shop was down by the old crossing .. probably the yorkshire building society... used to have model trains and stuff... didn't last long...

Date Posted: 20 September 2010 at 4:37pm
Originally posted by JohnohUK JohnohUK wrote:

I remember the bike shop... used to go up there in the 70's every Saturday to look at the airfix kits on the left hand side on the balcony bit.... and then to buy balsa wood for model planes...

The other toy shop was down by the old crossing .. probably the yorkshire building society... used to have model trains and stuff... didn't last long...

and  toy solders, toy cars, matchbox stuff.Tongue

Posted By: DanW
Date Posted: 20 September 2010 at 5:03pm
The bike shop used to sell Smurfs I remember. Also, wasn' t it also a record shop? Or was that next door?

-------------
I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I'm with isn't it, and what's it seems scary and weird.

Date Posted: 21 September 2010 at 1:01am
wasn't the record shop near fake it.

Posted By: watsy
Date Posted: 21 September 2010 at 1:37pm
Record World halfway up the Market Place - great place shame it closed in the early 90's.

Date Posted: 21 September 2010 at 2:00pm
Originally posted by JohnohUK JohnohUK wrote:

i think i remember the toy shop you mean but the one im talking about was about half way up the market place for sure.
i remember the old butchers there aswell before the one by Birrings, sawdust on the floor

Date Posted: 21 September 2010 at 4:08pm
the butchers was run by the stone family, the one that is now the cafe next to the tile shop i think...Confused
Searching...

Posted By: DanW
Date Posted: 22 September 2010 at 9:08am
Originally posted by oldchris oldchris wrote:

the butchers was run by the stone family, the one that is now the cafe next to the tile shop i think...Confused
Searching...

I thought the tile shop *was* the butchers? Aren't the cafe & flooring shop what used to be Rumbelows?

-------------
I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I'm with isn't it, and what's it seems scary and weird.

Date Posted: 22 September 2010 at 9:22am
yes the cafe/flooring shop use to be Rumbelows i use to buy my single records in there.
the tile shop was a butchers i think it use to be called Allans or Allums, think it was run by Clive?
the butchers i mean was up the market place in the very early 70's there was a laundrette there also

Posted By: tobic
Date Posted: 14 March 2012 at 11:13am
The name Allum rings a bell, didnt they live in Leechcroft in the house on the first corner on the left going in.........had a son a bit older than me named Trevor I think...........

-------------

Condoms should be used on every conceivable occasion.

Posted By: Sparkle
Date Posted: 14 March 2012 at 2:04pm
Originally posted by tobic tobic wrote:

The name Allum rings a bell, didnt they live in Leechcroft in the house on the first corner on the left going in.........had a son a bit older than me named Trevor I think...........

Yes the butchers was in the corner called Allum and Glanfield, and the son Trevor Allum had the hairdressers shop opposite.

Posted By: Roy B
Date Posted: 14 March 2012 at 2:17pm
Yes Floors of Distinction and the Cafe used to be Rumbelows, I remember watching the smash and grab in about 1992 when a car reversed straight through the doors and they grabbed all the video cameras. I think Andy Van Dyke was working there then. Before that it used to be the old cinema.

I saw Trevor Allum a couple of years ago when I was talking to Roy when he was in Lemmings. Roy would know all this he has been in the village now for 50 years.

Posted By: phisch21
Date Posted: 14 March 2012 at 2:41pm
Originally posted by Sparkle Sparkle wrote:

Yes the butchers was in the corner called Allum and Glanfield, and the son Trevor Allum had the hairdressers shop opposite.

Just like Sweeney Todd

Date Posted: 14 March 2012 at 2:52pm
Originally posted by Roy B Roy B wrote:

Yes Floors of Distinction and the Cafe used to be Rumbelows, I remember watching the smash and grab in about 1992 when a car reversed straight through the doors and they grabbed all the video cameras. I think Andy Van Dyke was working there then. Before that it used to be the old cinema.

I saw Trevor Allum a couple of years ago when I was talking to Roy when he was in Lemmings. Roy would know all this he has been in the village now for 50 years.

Andy Van Dyke?
Andy mac more like, my old friend.Star
there were 2, one late night, one earlier with 20 kids cheering the raiders on...nice...Confused

-------------
stop HS2.

Posted By: hissing sid
Date Posted: 14 March 2012 at 11:04pm
Originally posted by oldchris oldchris wrote:

Searching...

I thought "Stones" was the fish-monger or one of the employee's was called Stone.

2 Butchers shops one was "Lanes" top of the market place. The other "Robertson" on the high street next to the church also had a slaughter house out the back Big%20smile

-------------
Hissing Sid

It's a free country, adopt whatever PC stance you want. Just don't tell me which stance I should take just because it clashes with your opinion.

Date Posted: 15 March 2012 at 3:02am
Thats right Sid, Mr Stone [I forget his first name] was manager of the fishmongers Botts, where I worked saturdays............

Dead right with the butchers shops..................

-------------

Posted By: ArtB
Date Posted: 15 March 2012 at 3:21pm

Thats right Sid, Mr Stone [I forget his first name] was manager of the fishmongers Botts, where I worked saturdays............

Eric rings a bell but I could be wrong.

Art

-------------
*** If you're not part of the solution, you may be part of the problem!

Posted By: Womble
Date Posted: 07 July 2012 at 10:19am
The cycle shop was called Chalfont Cycle Sports and toys and was where the shop that now sells garage doors was located. It was owned by Peggy Draycott who used to live in Chalvey, Slough who eventually moved to Blandford Forum with Jack Hearne who owned a cycle shop in Slough and was selling top of the range cycles from Slough.
Peggy started with cycles but extended to airfix models and toys to supplement the income. They charges £1.50 to repair a puncture in 1970.
I was the mechanic there from late 1960's to about spring 1971 working after school and weekends.
We saw the era of the Raleigh Chopper and Gresham Flyer cycles when they were all the rage.
Happy days!

Posted By: Rich Kid
Date Posted: 07 August 2012 at 4:31pm
Originally posted by ArtB ArtB wrote:

Eric rings a bell but I could be wrong.

Art

It was Eric Stone who managed Botts in Market Place, I believe he had two sons, one was called Ian.
My aunt was one of the cashiers on Botts GX for many years.
Mr Bott, having lost his wife, remarried, (I think he married one his cashiers in the GX shop - not my aunt!), and retired to a bungalow in Hill Rise.
One for Tobic - was Jimmy Blair working at Botts GX when you were there?

Date Posted: 29 August 2012 at 5:34am
there was another guy working there when I was there, I believe his name was Jim, dunno his surname.

-------------

Posted By: Mustard
Date Posted: 13 June 2019 at 8:10pm
Harrolds?

Posted By: Mustard
Date Posted: 13 June 2019 at 9:05pm
When we were kids Santa Claus delivered a Scalextric which created huge excitement as we put it together. Then much to our bitter disappointment we discovered a piece of track was missing. Not a problem our Dad phoned Reg Harrold of Harrolds and explained the situation. Without hesitation Reg opened his shop on Christmas day and gave Dad a replacement piece of track. Problem sorted and great fun was had by all. The moral of this story ...................SUPPORT LOCAL BUSINESSES. Dad had purchased this from another store!! God bless you Reg. 

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.06 - https://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2023 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net