Forum Description: Photos & History of Chalfont
URL: https://www.chalfontstpeter.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=5820
Printed Date: 28 March 2024 at 10:49am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.06 - https://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Bakers Arms to The Poachers
Posted By: Mike Wilder
Subject: Bakers Arms to The Poachers
Date Posted: 16 September 2010 at 10:40am
I am trying to research a bit more of the history of my pub. I am trying to find out when it changed from The Bakers Arms to The Poachers. Also any interesting history of the building. Also any history of the names. I am aware that the Poachers came from when it was turned into a game restaurant, but anything else would be very helpful. This is for a new web site I am making for the pub.

Thank you

Mike

Replies:
Posted By: Martyc
Date Posted: 16 September 2010 at 12:40pm
Hi Mike, not sure if you have seen these. If the link doesnt work, just search on the site under Chalfont St Peter.....

http://www.buckscc.gov.uk/bcc/museum/ea_buckinghamshire_photos.page - http://www.buckscc.gov.uk/bcc/museum/ea_buckinghamshire_photos.page

Bakers%20Arms,%20before%20alterations.%20motorbike%20and%20brewery%20van.%20C.1936

Bakers%20Arms,PH%20after%20alterations.%203.1936

Posted By: brewski
Date Posted: 16 September 2010 at 2:46pm
Hi Mike, any news on when its opening?

Cheers.

-------------
Too many laws...
Too few examples...

Posted By: Mike Wilder
Date Posted: 16 September 2010 at 3:11pm
Hopefully about a month. If you have facebook here us the link to the pubs site with many pictures of the damage and referb.
http://www.facebook.com/the.poachers#!/the.poachers?v=photos

Posted By: rizzo
Date Posted: 17 September 2010 at 4:12pm
I can remember when the place was changed from the bakers to the poachers. Got quite friendly with the builders and had a few looks around. Obviously the bars were all knocked into one and I remember the floors were all laid with york flagstones. I do remember the cellars were completely flooded, literally up to about the third step down from the bar.

Posted By: Robbo
Date Posted: 01 January 2012 at 7:52am
I remember drinking in there when it was the Bakers Arms.....one of the Bar Attendants was a girl called Carol Aumpu.  she lived at the top of the Common. I think it changed it's name around 1975 but I was in Oz by then and am relying on what I was told and my own lousy memory
Robbo

-------------
But who will watch the watchers ?

Posted By: Rich Kid
Date Posted: 07 August 2012 at 5:00pm
I remember the Bakers Arms when it had three bars, a private bar, a saloon bar, and at the back, a public bar. Never my favourite pub.

Posted By: dodgydave
Date Posted: 17 January 2014 at 8:33pm
do you remember paddy who always served in the lounge bar little old lady used to live next door

Posted By: ArtB
Date Posted: 23 March 2014 at 5:44pm
Wasn't her surname Rance. Had couple of daughters if memory serves.

-------------
*** If you're not part of the solution, you may be part of the problem!

Date Posted: 23 March 2014 at 10:39pm
dont know her surname but yes she had a couple of daughters one of them married dennis who was a drummer in a little local band called the premiers

Posted By: Dave-R
Date Posted: 24 March 2014 at 2:20pm
I ve just been told someone wants to buy and reopen the Poachers.

Posted By: hissing sid
Date Posted: 24 March 2014 at 2:48pm
Originally posted by Dave-R Dave-R wrote:

I ve just been told someone wants to buy and reopen the Poachers.

As a ?    If you remember a couple of months ago, there was speculation of it becoming a gambling / bookmaker type place.

-------------
Hissing Sid

It's a free country, adopt whatever PC stance you want. Just don't tell me which stance I should take just because it clashes with your opinion.

Date Posted: 24 March 2014 at 3:34pm
Apparently this guy wants to reopen it as the Poachers pub. Bring it back what to what it was, a pub for the youngsters.

Posted By: phisch21
Date Posted: 24 March 2014 at 5:55pm
We need a proper pub, but not for youngsters, but for us in betweeners. The Three Oaks is too restaurantish, Village Hall too young, White Hart too many regulars giving funny looks. Greyhound is OK. GX has none other than the Ethorpe which is truly awful

-------------
foodfrom4.com

Date Posted: 24 March 2014 at 6:25pm
Originally posted by phisch21 phisch21 wrote:

White Hart too many regulars giving funny looks.

LOL I know what you mean

Posted By: oldchris
Date Posted: 24 March 2014 at 8:54pm
You missed the Waggon.

-------------
stop HS2.

Posted By: watsy
Date Posted: 24 March 2014 at 9:02pm
And Dumb Bell.
The village is very fortunate to have such a number of pubs still and lost so few.

Posted By: Robbo
Date Posted: 18 August 2014 at 5:49am
Is the Three Pigeons still open ? I think I only ever had one drink there and can't remember a dam thing about it.

-------------
But who will watch the watchers ?

Posted By: born and bred
Date Posted: 18 August 2014 at 8:43am
The 3 Pigeons has been rebranded and is now the 3 Oaks. It is no longer a pub but more of a restaurant.
I believe the owner is Terry Wogan's daughter who has other restaurants / pubs. This happened a couple of years ago.
Times are changing and pubs need to adapt to survive.
Chalfont is very lucky to have so many places where you can stop and have a few beers and a chat.

-------------
local born and bred

Posted By: charlie009
Date Posted: 20 February 2016 at 7:48pm
The bakers arms changed to the poachers in the early 1980s I've got a video of one of my birthday's when I had a police women stripper some of my best days were spent in that pub I'm sure if you asked anyone in there mid fifty's you will hear some great stories there was a big brass ships Bell behind the bar but one of the landlords stole it we did go to Portsmouth to get it back but they refused and called the police so we positioned to the brewery but they had left was a big loss at the time !

Posted By: Rich Kid
Date Posted: 07 March 2016 at 8:42pm
The Bakers Arms had 3 bars, a saloon bar, a private (snug) bar, and a larger public bar at the back.  

Posted By: dot poleykett
Date Posted: 08 March 2016 at 12:35am
Seem to remember going to school with a Davina Bose. I think her parents lived in the Bakers Arms but could be mistaken. Did'nt they have ROB meetings there at one time?

Date Posted: 01 July 2016 at 9:56am
the george used to hold rob meetings above the bar

Date Posted: 01 July 2016 at 11:03am
Are the "ROB" still active in the village?

-------------
Hissing Sid

It's a free country, adopt whatever PC stance you want. Just don't tell me which stance I should take just because it clashes with your opinion.

Posted By: Alastair66
Date Posted: 30 September 2016 at 5:35pm
The Poachers came into being about 1983 ( i know that because I worked there, underage). CAn't remember the name of the landlord. Had some riotous nights in there.

Posted By: Aumpu1970
Date Posted: 30 December 2017 at 1:33pm
My mum passed away a few days ago and seeing her name on here brought a smile to my face and heart thank you xx

Posted By: bungalowbill
Date Posted: 22 January 2021 at 3:42pm
I came across this thread looking for old pictures of the village etc!    I remember the Poachers well in the days that Gary and Mary were the landlords.   Good days!   Whatever happened to them?  Fair while ago now though!

Date Posted: 23 January 2021 at 1:47pm
or Stewart and Joyce from the Bakers Arms 

-------------
Hissing Sid

Posted By: watsy
Date Posted: 26 January 2021 at 3:00pm
Think I remember Terry who was before Mary and Gary, but that was at the start of my drinking history. The latter I think went to the magpies in Coleshill but not there any more.

Back when I was 18, the White Hart / Poachers / Greyhound used to be absolutely heaving on Friday and Saturday evenings. Remember a landlord in the white hart who used to wear a bow tie - was it Antoine?  I think the closure of Newland Park as a college had a big impact on the local pubs and economy.

-------------
https://www.chalfont-web-design.co.uk" rel="nofollow - Chalfont Web Design

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.06 - https://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2023 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net