Print Page | Close Window

shop next to Jolly Farmer

Printed From: Chalfont St Peter
Category: Chalfont St Peter
Forum Name: Memory Lane
Forum Description: Photos & History of Chalfont
URL: http://www.chalfontstpeter.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=3613
Printed Date: 20 October 2017 at 2:31am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.05 - http://www.webwizforums.com


Topic: shop next to Jolly Farmer
Posted By: Reid
Subject: shop next to Jolly Farmer
Date Posted: 23 July 2007 at 8:49pm
I noticed some people mentioning the shop next to the Jolly farmer, I think it was called gold hill store, it was run by two women, or were they, my sister used to call them "men Woman', one had a ton of brylcream in her hair. They were the only shop open on a sunday in CSP, although Nagles was open in GX.

They broke all the Sunday trading laws and charged extra for everything, the store was next to the shop and was damp damp damp!

One of them was called Phyllis!

Anyone remember?

-------------
RED



Replies:
Posted By: DanW
Date Posted: 23 July 2007 at 10:10pm
In the mists of my youth there used to be a sweet shop next to the Jolly Farmer (where Delta security is now I think) staffed by an old lady or two. Sweets were in jars on shelfs but I can't remember much else about it!

-------------
I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I'm with isn't it, and what's it seems scary and weird.


Posted By: Walrus
Date Posted: 23 July 2007 at 10:24pm
Originally posted by DanW DanW wrote:

Sweets were in jars on shelfs
 
thats a novel ideaLOL
 
I remember going in to a sweet shop with sweets in jars on shelves when i was young and asking for a 1/4 of midget gems. Nowadays you have to say 125 grams pleaseConfusedBig%20smile


-------------
Is back in the game! :)


Posted By: tobic
Date Posted: 24 July 2007 at 3:47am
I think my mum bought a couple of those empty sweet jars from them when I was a child.  She used to put pickled onions in them.
Everything is prepacked these days which I suppose is a lot more hygenic.


-------------


Condoms should be used on every conceivable occasion.


Posted By: J.R.
Date Posted: 24 July 2007 at 8:40am
the used to sell ciggys to anyone - and not just by the packet, you could ask for 3 no6 !

-------------
JR was ere


Posted By: jessama
Date Posted: 24 July 2007 at 12:24pm
Originally posted by tobic tobic wrote:

I think my mum bought a couple of those empty sweet jars from them when I was a child.  She used to put pickled onions in them.
Everything is prepacked these days which I suppose is a lot more hygenic.
 
My Dad used to pickle onions in the 7lb sweet jars.  I had to go out while he was doing it because I could't stand the smell of the heating vinegar. 
 


-------------
Life is a balancing act
GOP


Posted By: DanDan
Date Posted: 24 July 2007 at 1:39pm
Originally posted by DanW DanW wrote:

In the mists of my youth there used to be a sweet shop next to the Jolly Farmer (where Delta security is now I think) staffed by an old lady or two.


I used to go to that shop every Sunday, from memory I cannot recall a time when either of them smiled.


-------------


Posted By: tobic
Date Posted: 25 July 2007 at 7:30am
Originally posted by J.R. J.R. wrote:

the used to sell ciggys to anyone - and not just by the packet, you could ask for 3 no6 !
 
There was a shop down the bottom end of market place that did that.  I remember they sold extra long cigarettes singly to us kids.


-------------


Condoms should be used on every conceivable occasion.


Posted By: DogChops
Date Posted: 05 November 2008 at 1:43pm
If I remember rightly, the shop or one of the old ladies was called (Mrs) Avery?


Posted By: Rich Kid
Date Posted: 04 December 2008 at 8:53pm
Originally posted by Reid Reid wrote:

I noticed some people mentioning the shop next to the Jolly farmer, I think it was called gold hill store, it was run by two women, or were they, my sister used to call them "men Woman', one had a ton of brylcream in her hair. They were the only shop open on a sunday in CSP, although Nagles was open in GX.

Anyone remember?

We used to call it the "mixed-up shop" where the men were women and the women were men. There were two quite butch "ladies" who owned & lived there and one quite gentle softly-spoken man who served in there sometimes - I can't remember his name.


-------------



Posted By: Alastair66
Date Posted: 30 September 2016 at 5:39pm
It was Avery stores, run by Phylis Avery. Wouldn't look out of place in an episode of League of Gentleman.

We had a much more unsavoury name for it!


Posted By: Rich Kid
Date Posted: 01 October 2016 at 10:42pm
Originally posted by Alastair66 Alastair66 wrote:

It was Avery stores, run by Phylis Avery. Wouldn't look out of place in an episode of League of Gentleman.
 LOL

I believe a Mr Rance used to help out in the shop. Not sure what if any his relationship was with the two 'ladies'.




-------------



Posted By: born and bred
Date Posted: 04 October 2016 at 8:37am
I remember them. There were 3 shops along the top of Gold Hill that sold sweets. Only one remains.
Previously the shop was a bicycle repair shop. That was over 70 years ago though.


-------------
local born and bred



Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.05 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2016 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.co.uk