Forum Description: News and info on whats up in Chalfont St Peter
URL: https://www.chalfontstpeter.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=2299
Printed Date: 29 March 2024 at 5:24am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.06 - https://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: ~*&^% Electricicty board
Posted By: Garry
Subject: ~*&^% Electricicty board
Date Posted: 08 April 2006 at 11:53am

Just opened the mail in the White Hart this morning and to my horror we have a bill from Powergen for £8,549.70.

Dumbfounded, shocked, has any other business in Chalfont St Peter had similar increases?
Our normal quarterly bill for winter is approximately £1,600.

I presume they are trying to get us to pay for the road works when the power cuts were on.

Grrrrrr

Replies:
Posted By: Steve
Date Posted: 08 April 2006 at 12:25pm

if that was me I would double check the readings in case they have made a so called computer error

Posted By: big baggles
Date Posted: 08 April 2006 at 3:37pm

tell em to justify the figure Garry-  our domestic eleccy bill from powergen was incorrect the last time our meter was read - this apparently due to the bloke who read the meter uploaded the incorrect information from his hand held machine- needless to say when we questioned it it took them 3 weeks to respond and correct thier mistake- however we had  not yet paid for the gas we had used which we also get from them - so 2 red bills later but i said i was not going to settle an incorrect account... when they got the bills and readings correct only then would i pay.....

this speeded them up somewhat !

will change my supplier for energy shortly, u switch is a good comparison website !

-------------
need a stella and i need one now !

Posted By: pierre
Date Posted: 08 April 2006 at 3:49pm

We are with them too! but not for much longer. As soon as we have paid them off we are looking elsewhere.

Is it cheaper to have gas and electric from the same company or seperate ones?

Date Posted: 08 April 2006 at 5:07pm
stick your details into the u switch website.... it will recommend suppliers best suited to your energy usage...... we will move as soon as our 'time agreement' ends - we signed up to a deal where prices were fixed on an introductory price, at the end of the introduction prices reverted to normal, as soon as this happened powergen stuck all their prices up by loads -so we are moving asap- but there is a minimum period you have to sign up to- so as soon as thats over thats it, we are off !

-------------

Posted By: Steve
Date Posted: 08 April 2006 at 5:16pm
cheapest way to get gas and electric is to get a wind generator and a tin of baked beans

Posted By: moggies
Date Posted: 08 April 2006 at 10:17pm
Or just make things even simpler and hire Mr Moggies....

-------------
Still don't know what I want to do when I grow up...

Date Posted: 10 April 2006 at 3:12pm

For those who don't know business rates for electricity are different to domestic, i.e we have 3 bands, weekend, night and day rates.

Called Powergen this morning regarding the White Hart electricity bill of £8,500, and this is the response from Powergen.

After giving them our account details, the lady replied this does not look right on my computer screen, have you taken any meter readings yourself, I replied that I had on Saturday morning to check against the bill.
At first my readings and the bill appeared to be correct, what I had not realised was that the 3 band readings read by the Powergen inspector on March 14 had been entered in the wrong bands i.e. weekend was day, day was night, night was weekend.
The young lady altered the bill on her computer and informed me that we would receive a revised bill of £645.

She apologised and said to ignore the current bill, and promised us a new bill within the next 10 days.

So be warned, if you have had your meter read by an authorised inspector, double check yourself, and if you are a business make sure the correct readings are in the correct category.

I wait in anticipation of the promised revised bill, but needless to say I am a lot happier today then I was on Saturday morning when I opened the £8.500 bill. 
I will save my applause for Powergen when I am in receipt of the new bill.

Garry

Posted By: moggies
Date Posted: 10 April 2006 at 10:25pm

Well done, Garry!

-------------
Still don't know what I want to do when I grow up...

Posted By: Guests
Date Posted: 10 April 2006 at 11:03pm

do us lowly domestic customers have different numbers for different times of the day?

I thought we only had one meter number, although the gas bill has different rates but i assumed these were due to the erratic price of gas. We got our gas bill from BG for the last quarter it was £143 !

Posted By: timo_w2s
Date Posted: 11 April 2006 at 9:57am
Originally posted by rob_cunliffe rob_cunliffe wrote:

We got our gas bill from BG for the last quarter it was £143 !

I just got mine recently from Powergen and it was £315!! I'm sure it's not normally that high...

Date Posted: 11 April 2006 at 10:25am

Business always pays a lot more than domestic, as in everything, rates, utility bills. etc

Just be very very aware, the point I am making and the responses I am getting are overwhelming that gas and electricity bills are being overcharged.

Strange, nobody being billed by Southern Electric or British Gas appear at this stage to have had a problem, they all seem to be from "other party suppliers"

It does'nt take a rocket scientist to work out if these corporates are accidentally overcharging people by a little as £20 per premise, there is the potential of millions of pounds sitting in their accounts gathering interest, all at our expense.

I just wonder how many people are just paying their bill without thinking. Maybe it looks about right so that will do attitude.
Mine was only highlighted because of the farcical amount overcharged.

Just a thought, I will keep you updated.

Garry

Date Posted: 11 April 2006 at 10:42am

in repsonse to rob C, do you get both gas and ellecy from powergen ?- if so you are supposed to get a discounted unit cost for energy- also depending on the scheme you are signed up for then you may get two bands for elleccy use,

we get our electricity charged in 2 bands, i suppose peak and off peak, ie day and night.....

this is charged at 2 differing unit costs.........

so as garry says check your bill,

it sounds like a meter reading error is  often to blame !

the worrying thing is  if you dont or cant pay a huge over estimated bill before you know it you get a poor credit reference against your name and potentially problems arrising from that,- not fair if its powergens mistake.......

how many millions of quid are paid in error to powergen and other companies as a result of incorrect bills ???

the mind boggles....

as is ay as soon as i can switch my supplier i will, powergens 'lock in' terms are nearly coming to an end !

-------------

Posted By: Guests
Date Posted: 12 April 2006 at 8:15pm

we get gas from BG and leccy from... ... er.... ... i dont know. bugger.

Who is chepest then?

Posted By: maria
Date Posted: 12 April 2006 at 8:30pm
We get the gas and leccy from BG and my winter bills have be cheaper then my mums, who lives in a 2 bed flat and we live in a 3 bed house with kids. I will be checking uswitch in august to confirm BG are still cheap, as my fix year is up. 

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.06 - https://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2023 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net