Forum Description: Photos & History of Chalfont
URL: https://www.chalfontstpeter.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=2272
Printed Date: 19 March 2024 at 10:35am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.06 - https://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Tales Of Chalfont
Posted By: DanW
Subject: Tales Of Chalfont
Date Posted: 03 April 2006 at 10:49am

I have been thinking about writing a book about people's stories of Chalfont. Not in the same vein as Audrey Wheelband's history of Chalfont, but much more people's individual tales of what they got up to when they were younger, funny things that have happened, the changes to the village in their time, memories of landlords and policemen (we used to have six and a sergeant!), anecdotal tales of school, chalfont before the bypasds, shops they worked in and so on. Any photos of you would be welcome as well.

As you can see, most of the writing is being done by you out there, but if you know of anyone who has interesting stories of old Chalfont, then I am more than happy to arrange a meeting with them and record and transcribe their tale.

This is a not-for-profit book, as any money made will be donated to a local cause, such as the Youth Centre.

So, either PM me with your story, or someone who I could talk to about their stories, or add your tale on here. If there's enough interest, I'll get the book published!

-------------
I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I'm with isn't it, and what's it seems scary and weird.

Replies:
Posted By: mushroom
Date Posted: 03 April 2006 at 3:22pm

The Summer of 1970

I was living with my grandparents in North London, my parents and three siblings were in Singapore (military) and I had gotten into trouble with the law and ran away from home to join the fair.

One of the fairs summer sites was Chalfont St Peter Common (in fact still is) and I was a helper on the oval go cart circuit when I noticed a young Mum with child drop her purse on the common near where the middle of the soccer pitch would be now, I retrieved it and gave it back to her and later received a clipped ear from someone on the fair for not sharing it out, I remember doing my laundry in the village and the Laundromat was halfway down the hill then and not at the bottom, I shared a caravan with a young well endowed coloured chap who used to shake the caravan every night…. I hasten to add I had no part in his escapades. I remember the lorry being pulled over just outside the village by the police….. I was sat in the passenger seat with a five-gallon drum of red diesel between my legs, which was feeding the engine……….I left just after that.

Mushy

-------------
Mushroom is a Fungi

Posted By: moggies
Date Posted: 03 April 2006 at 5:39pm
Dan - would you also like tales of other people's exploits ie now dead?

-------------
Still don't know what I want to do when I grow up...

Date Posted: 03 April 2006 at 5:43pm
Certainly, otherwise they will be lost forever!

-------------
I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I'm with isn't it, and what's it seems scary and weird.

Posted By: Steve
Date Posted: 03 April 2006 at 6:43pm

I have lived here since 1958, so I have to put my thinking cap on

Posted By: Sparkle
Date Posted: 03 April 2006 at 6:46pm
Sounds like a great idea

Posted By: RobertswoodPTA
Date Posted: 04 April 2006 at 5:14pm
Well done Dan - sounds really good!

Date Posted: 04 April 2006 at 7:27pm

Thanks for all the people saying they like the idea...a few more stories or suggestions of who to talk to would be useful as well!

Would really like to hear from forum members who now live overseas...

-------------

Date Posted: 04 April 2006 at 9:46pm

I know you may groan, but speaking to some of the WIs would be a good idea.

My mum used to be a member of Chalfont Common WI and I have a picture of her dressed up as a highwayman, on a horse called Roma borrowed from Brawlings, doing something charitable.

I also have pictures of her doing drama things at the Community Centre and dressed as a nun, with my dad dressed as a monk, at the Chiltern Open Air Museum (of which my dad was director, many years ago).

I also have details of the visits by HRH Queen and HRH Diana to the NSE at various times (including invitations and photos, if that's of any help).

And finally for today, Gravel Hill school used to have a pet rabbit. This was given to them by my family after it kept escaping and digging up the neighbours' gardens (it didn't touch ours). We had adopted the rabbit from one of my Maltmans Green teachers, Miss Jenny Waters, who was returning to her native Australia. In true Aussie spirit, she had given the rabbit an Aboriginal name, which I believe stayed with it, even at Gravel Hill. It was called Goolie.....

-------------

Date Posted: 04 April 2006 at 9:47pm
If you want any WI contact names and numbers let me know...I'm not a member but have them through my mum....

-------------

Date Posted: 04 April 2006 at 9:51pm

My mum used to be a member of Chalfont Common WI and I have a picture of her dressed up as a highwayman, on a horse called Roma borrowed from Brawlings, doing something charitable.

I also have pictures of her doing drama things at the Community Centre and dressed as a nun, with my dad dressed as a monk, at the Chiltern Open Air Museum (of which my dad was director, many years ago).

I also have details of the visits by HRH Queen and HRH Diana to the NSE at various times (including invitations and photos, if that's of any help).

They'd be great, especially if you can put me in touch with anyone who has astory that goes with it!

-------------

Date Posted: 04 April 2006 at 10:11pm
When the Queen visited Chalfont and drove up the market place (well she actually sat in the back of the car) Pierre and I went looking around at the crowds trying to spot the security men doing there best to blend in. We spotted quite a few 

Date Posted: 05 April 2006 at 8:58am
Also, any stories about the youth club 'back in the day', famous people who have lived here that you have met/chatted to...basically anything!

-------------

Posted By: phisch21
Date Posted: 05 April 2006 at 10:45am
Originally posted by DanW DanW wrote:

Also, any stories about the youth club 'back in the day', famous people who have lived here that you have met/chatted to...basically anything!

Meg Matthews used to go to the chippy at the top of Market Place with her and Noel's daughter Anais when she and Noel were living together. Not very interesting I know, but I did have a very brief chat with her.

Posted By: big baggles
Date Posted: 05 April 2006 at 11:09am
my father in law can talk the hind legs off a donkey twittering away about the village when he was young....

-------------
need a stella and i need one now !

Date Posted: 05 April 2006 at 8:35pm

I serevd Lewis Collins and his girlfriend in the White Hart when I was 17 (yes, underage I know...)

That was when he was famous for being in the Professionals and lived in Mopes Farm, near Winkers.

He ordered a whisky and small ginger ale and I got all stupid and twittery and served him a Tequila and large ginger ale - very embarrassing.

Have sold all sorts of things to other people but in GX and Beaconsfield, not CSP.

-------------

Posted By: jake
Date Posted: 06 April 2006 at 12:02am

i served cilla black when i was working in carpenters in gx very nice person (not)

lewis collins use to get allowed in winkers with his trainers and us mortals had to wear shoes or no entry for us

Posted By: hissing sid
Date Posted: 06 April 2006 at 5:10am
I used to deliver the news paper to Margaret Rudderford

-------------
Hissing Sid

It's a free country, adopt whatever PC stance you want. Just don't tell me which stance I should take just because it clashes with your opinion.

Posted By: Fans
Date Posted: 06 April 2006 at 11:36am

Margaret Rutherford used to live in Joiners Lane opposite the end of Joiners Way, when I lived there her husband used to walk her along Joiners Way in her wheelchair.

Re:  Youth Clubs - I went to St Joseph's YC for a while in the 70's and had my first "snog" in St Joseph's Graveyard!! (we weren't supposed to go outside - now you know why)

Date Posted: 06 April 2006 at 9:44pm

I had a crush on someone called Martin at St Jo's youth club in 1979. Then went to the Baptist Church youth club coz on Sunday's you could pop over to the Jolly Farmer at 7pm and on Wednesdays the Bus Shelter opposite on the common was quite popular

I snogged Matt in there....

-------------

Date Posted: 06 April 2006 at 9:46pm
Originally posted by jake jake wrote:

i served cilla black when i was working in carpenters in gx very nice person (not)

-------------

Date Posted: 06 April 2006 at 9:52pm

I sold Cilla Balck when I worked in Accent in GX - she definitely thought she was better than others....

I sold Jan Leeming a bra (flesh coloured coz of the TV lights and yes I remember her size but she was lovely so my lips are sealed) and a pair of yellow trousers.

And I sold Patrick Mower (Emmerdale etc) a cabbage in Jamisons, but 3 years before I had had a very interesting time selling him a suspender belt and stockings.....he was a real charmer

And I also served President Kenyatta's daughter...because she was black and the shop owner wouldn't serve her! She bought loads and I got a LOT of commission thanks to her

And I've served Angelina Jolie, Vernon Kay, Leo Sayer and Pauline Quirk in Sainsbury's last year....

So all those people can boast about how they've been served by me!

-------------

Date Posted: 06 April 2006 at 9:53pm
Originally posted by moggies moggies wrote:

I sold Cilla Balck when I worked in Accent in GX - she definitely thought she was better than others....

Sorry! I sold her a pair of gloves!!!!!

-------------

Posted By: ReTrO
Date Posted: 06 April 2006 at 10:54pm
Originally posted by Fans Fans wrote:

Margaret Rutherford used to live in Joiners Lane opposite the end of Joiners Way, when I lived there her husband used to walk her along Joiners Way in her wheelchair.

I used to live in 22 Joiners Way, the house up the slope overlooking the road enterance.  Moved out of there to current house in 1988.

-------------
Allez Wasps

Rick

Olim vespa, semper vespa

Posted By: Fans
Date Posted: 07 April 2006 at 9:21am
I lived at no 7 from when it was built 1968 to 1976 with my parents, we then moved to Bull Lane, not so good for playing marbles in the road!

Posted By: baldsam
Date Posted: 07 April 2006 at 12:28pm

I uses to run as fast as my little legs would take me up joiners lane to get to winkers before 9.00 so i didn't have to pay to get in.

Posted By: Garry
Date Posted: 07 April 2006 at 3:05pm

Dan, talk to Paul Neville and P.J.Deacy who both drink in the White Hart to this day,

Paul used to share a flat with a guy named Rob Cooksey who used to drive a lorry for Sankeys (now where the betting shop is) and he went on to be a 'roady' for a band called Bonzo Dog Doodah Band back in the 60s-70s, he then roadied for Olivia Newton John, and eventually became manager of a band called Deep Purple who also used to share accommodation with Paul and Rob.
Rob now lives and is retired in California and may well be reading this post, sorry Rob if I have 'dropped' you in it
P.J Deacy also roadied for many stars.

I remember being in the White Hart back in the 70's when there was a couple of members of Deep Purple, a guy called Rick Wakeman from the band Yes, singer ashley Holt (can't remember the band), Roy Castle and one of his band members, and music composer Eric Rogers who wrote most of the music for the 'carry on' films, also there was a another character by the name of Bob Todd who used to appear in the Benny Hill show, he was in the pub also at this time.

The musicians proceeded to play music with anything they could get their hands on, and Roy Castle and his colleague both played trumpets.
The impromptu band was joined by a local character from Chalfont st Giles called 'Monty' Bignall who played the spoons to the enjoyment of all including the big name stars, who incidentally were not at their peak at his time.

Fantastic memories from a brilliant era, to many to rabble on about here, but hopefully may have rattled a few memories from other people.

Please also remember, many of these characters (due to their ages) do not use computers and may not be aware that this forum exists.

Hope it works out for you Dan, I will look forward to reading the finished book.

regards
Garry

Posted By: Jenny
Date Posted: 07 April 2006 at 3:20pm
Now come on Garry. I know you have many more stories about CSP. Especially have listened (and laughed at) a few on the impromptu 'Blitz' style evening held at the WH during one of the 'blackouts'!

-------------
No one really cares if you are miserable so you might was well be happy. (Cynthia Nelms)

Posted By: Dave-R
Date Posted: 10 April 2006 at 5:53pm
Originally posted by baldsam baldsam wrote:

I uses to run as fast as my little legs would take me up joiners lane to get to winkers before 9.00 so i didn't have to pay to get in.

The days before the Winkers bus! I remember in the summer we used to be in Winkers when it was still broad daylight outside! What saddos!

Date Posted: 10 April 2006 at 10:14pm

I started horse-riding at Winkers when I was about 5.

-------------

Posted By: jake
Date Posted: 11 April 2006 at 12:01am
oh, explains the tounge on your avatar

Date Posted: 11 April 2006 at 10:26pm

???????????????????

And just what does a tongue have to do with riding?

On second thoughts, don't answer that.

-------------

Posted By: Helen
Date Posted: 27 April 2006 at 1:30am
Im still thinking, and know I can not come up with a game plan let me know x x x

Posted By: Guests
Date Posted: 08 June 2006 at 9:11pm
Hows your book going dan?

Posted By: xpat
Date Posted: 10 June 2006 at 8:33am

Another famous  person that lived in Chalfont  was John Laurie from Dads Army I  would  often see him wandering around the village,  Flora Robson  the old actress  also lived there,  Andy Gibb also met with some of the local kids on Gold hill common ,the Bee Gees parents lived in GX at that time

Posted By: tobic
Date Posted: 10 June 2006 at 10:20am
I used to go into the British Legion with my dad sometimes and John Laurie was there occasionally, some of the tales and jokes he used to tell kept us in stitches. He was'nt a bad snooker player either.

-------------

Condoms should be used on every conceivable occasion.

Posted By: Grovesy
Date Posted: 14 June 2006 at 3:09pm

one of the Gallaghers lives (or lived) along Nightingales Lane. 

When I went to school in Little Chalfont, Ted Rogers (of 3-2-1 & Dusty Bin fame) used to get his morning paper from Martins the newsagents.

Posted By: phisch21
Date Posted: 15 June 2006 at 8:02am
Noel Gallagher lives at The Shieling on Nightingales Lane. A couple of years ago he applied for planning permission to turn part of his land into a floodflit football pitch, but surprisingly this was turned down.

Posted By: Rich Kid
Date Posted: 12 July 2006 at 4:00pm
Originally posted by xpat xpat wrote:

Andy Gibb also met with some of the local kids on Gold hill common ,the Bee Gees parents lived in GX at that time

The Bee Gees family lived in Manor Road, off Windsor Road, GX.

The Welsh tenor, Ivor Emmanuel lived along the Lower Road, now retired to Portugal I believe.

Posted By: xpat
Date Posted: 16 July 2006 at 6:57am

When Lulu married one of the Bee Gees  at the church in GX I think the whole Of  Chalfont turned out, there were hundreds of people there,

I remember Ivor Emmanuel living there,   saw him once, in the  off licence at the George Inn with his wife

Posted By: Colin
Date Posted: 25 August 2006 at 9:40pm

NUCLEUS the art shop was opened by Sid James way back when.

Don't forget Ozzy Osborne has a small house in Welders Lane.

Rick Wakeman partly started his career playing at Winkers.

Not quite CSP, but I occasionally helped on the milk round that delivered to Roy Castle in GX. Very nice guy.

Lewis Collins had quite a star studed house warming, when he moved into Mopes Farm. I remember getting ready for work one evening upstairs at Winkers, and Lionel Blair was on TV hosting some programme like oppertunity knocks or something. The programme ended, and I then whent downstairs to help Mick Maynard ( Bobs Brother) in opening up. As I crossed the bar area the door bell rang, and thinking it was one of the staff arriving, I called out that I would get the door. What a shock I had when I opened it to find Lionel Blair standing there. I was completley dumbstruck, thinking that there was no way that he could have got from TV centre quicker than I walked downstairs and across the club. Yes I eventually realised that the show was recorded. Lionel had seen the lights of Winkers on and thought it was Mopes Farm.

Noel Edmunds lived in GX.

Date Posted: 25 August 2006 at 11:02pm

I can remeber...

Sledging down Gold Hill when we used to have snow.

Going to the CO-OP on the corner of the Vale, before Tesco open up where Chalfont home stores is.

Going down to Rumbelows to listing to the latest single in there listing booths

Bomb shelters that used to be in the play ground of the middle school

Playing on the green that used to be between Lovel rd and grove hill

Dick the green grosser that used to sell his potato's from the back of a big van with just a 12v bulb.

The shelter that used to be in the playground and the American swing that we used to try to get the plank to hit the top of the frame as we gave it our all.

Chalfont St peter football club stand that used to be at least half full on a Saturday afternoons.

The Queen coming to visit

Fete's that used to be on the football ground, and Chalfont Park and Gold hill, floats that started by the Esso station on the A413 and drove up to Gold Hill

-------------
Always remember that you're unique. Just like everyone else.

Date Posted: 13 September 2006 at 1:50pm
ahh rumbelows ! ahh snow on the common......chalfont volvo ! but the queen visiting ?- i think it was before my time !

-------------

Posted By: Tedious Ted
Date Posted: 12 October 2006 at 4:03pm
Anyone remember Guests in  Market Place? And Andersons the first self-service supermarket in the village.

Date Posted: 22 October 2006 at 10:13pm

I remember when the NSE used to have a fundraising fair every year. I always helped my mum on the ping-pong jars stall. And the Gurkhas used to march up Monument Lane every year to open it.

Maybe someone ought to suggest the concept of old fashioned fundraising to Graham Faulkner of the NSE...

-------------

Posted By: schul
Date Posted: 22 March 2007 at 11:24pm
great mems thankyou so muchTongue

-------------
flower

Posted By: Reid
Date Posted: 23 July 2007 at 7:44pm

Where I lived in pond Lane, 58 to 78, behind me was a family called the Pixlies, they lived in a huge Edwardian house called Chipstead, now the name of the housing estate built late 60's early 70's. Amongst all sorts of strange and wonderful things that went on there, they had Millie to stay when she was big!!! You don't know who millie is ? She sang "My boy lollipop"!!!.

-------------
RED

Date Posted: 23 July 2007 at 7:52pm
The Jolly Farmer had a sandwich list in the 1960's with over 300 different sarnis, people came from all over the world to eat there. The landlady drove a Cadillac Eldorado in gold, she would allways reverse it out of the Jolly farmer car park and imbed the huge exhaust pipes into the earth bank on the other side of the road ( gold hill common) she would then roar off, as kids we would wait for the huge explosion as the clods of earth would fire from her car.

They also had a huge collection of foreign bank notes in the bar, sadly this ended in tears as they were robbed and I think there dog was killed.

-------------
RED

Date Posted: 23 July 2007 at 7:57pm
It's more GX, I trod on Margaret Rutherford watch in Sturley's cake shop in GX, handed it in, and on every birthday until she died she would send me postal order, as a thank you.

-------------
RED

Date Posted: 23 July 2007 at 8:01pm
Rob Cooksey became road manager for Deep Purple, he lived across the road from me, he lives in California now , I think, he ownes a company that makes some kind of exclusive luggage

-------------
RED

Posted By: Lynn Whitmore
Date Posted: 01 November 2007 at 10:28am
Hi
I'm replying to your post although it is a while back.  I've rejoined the list.  I lived in CSP for 14 years from 1973.  I'd be interested in your book and getting a copy, as I have very very fond memories of the village and my friends of that time.  I don't know if I'd have anything to contribute although I can remember the ford crossing the street!

Best wishes and keep up the good work, Lynn

-------------
Former Resident

Posted By: CASE
Date Posted: 28 April 2008 at 5:54pm
so,so many.
riding our hand built go carts down foxdell and my mate falling off and badley hurting himself in mid seventys
getting my sweets from mr bail on and from school.
messing around on the gravel pit and swinging into the misbourne when it had water.
bishops in the precent.
helicopter and balloon rides at the nse open day, also in the seventys.
the soft shop where i got a BBCb pc.
the fields near hornhill going up in flames in 1976.

Posted By: Past villager
Date Posted: 23 July 2008 at 11:42am
 My mum worked in the laundromat when it was in the middle of the village, cleaning cloths for the likes of Ivor Emannual.
  I can remember Frankie Vaughan coming to tithe barn and taking my nan to see him. He was her favourite. I remember her saying "when he comes in girls you got to grab him and say we love you Frankie!" my friends and sister thought she was mad but a great laugh.  
  Ted Heath came to visit the Hospital in the early seventies, my nan was in there and we weren't allowed to visit her till he'd gone. Margret Rutherford was in the bed opposite her.
  There were also many times we watched the parade through the village in the summer for the fate. The school fates where I was a welsh girl  (wierd I live here now), a round the world cyclist on my little sisters trike ten sizes too small for me and numerous other strange characters I was asked to potray 'for the school'. I could go on but I'd only bore you.

-------------
Still missing CSP after 36yrs.

Date Posted: 23 July 2008 at 3:41pm
Wouldn't bore me! Please carry on!

-------------

Date Posted: 23 July 2008 at 8:54pm
Hi all
Intrigued about sledging in Foxdell Way as I used to do that too - ex Mark Drive.  I can remember playing football with friends in the Chalfont Epilepsy Centre's (then known as 'the colony') playing field and getting chased by a bloke who looked after it.  I had a donkey then, and we would walk it through the village - people would give it an apple and my donkey would drool all over the pavement!  We also ran it in a donkey derby which took place in the community centre.  I occasionally but rarely saw Chalfont Utd play, but met John Laurie on a number of occasions doing charity work.  Some amazing times, but a great childhood.

When I first moved to Chalfont in 1963 there was a ford crossing the road opposite the church into a carpark which then became the Precinct.  Budgen's was where the clothes shop is in the Precinct now.  I used to work in the baker's-cum-sandwich shop as a Saturday job, preceded by Woolworths in GX.  On one occasion on Christmas Eve we clearly had not a crumb on the shelves, and one lady customer came in and said "can I have a tin loaf please" (a long narrow loaf)!!  Dream on!

I remember listening to 'singles' in Rumbelow's as well, and also the grocer's with Mr Bail - his son was in my class I believe, or nearly.  There used to be a wool shop in the shop on the other side of the uphill road to Bail's grocery.  There also used to be a white horse in the field opposite both of the above shops, which then got built on.  He always used to have his head over the gate and so we children used to stroke his nose - then of course he disappeared with the housing - very sad.

I was deeply saddened a while back when I saw that Gravel Hill School was no longer used as a school and that there were weeds growing where we all used to play so noisily!  Then it also got built on - so many children's voices buried under housing..... so sad.  On the day that one of my teachers yanked me to the front of the class by the forelock, and gave me a real telling off and cracked a ruler over my knuckles (this would have been in about 1965) - I dared to make a complaint to the Head Teacher!

Ho hum!

Lynn

-------------
Former Resident

Date Posted: 24 July 2008 at 12:05pm
i'm ex gravel hill..1975....1982

Date Posted: 24 July 2008 at 3:11pm
Hi
I left Gravel Hill before you began there.  I wonder why it closed?  Unless due to an ageing residential population maybe, who had been there for years.  We had Mr Berry as Head Teacher, followed by Miss Breedon who seemed to have quite left-wing views - very hippie in her physical appearance!  Such a great shame it is no longer a school (with no disrespect meant to current residents!).  We used to do cycling proficiency in the playground which I failed - the only one to do so in that group at least - which served as an early warning for my parents of the 11+ and drastic remedial action taken!  We had teachers such as Mr Best, Mr Bennell, Miss Taylor (who then went on to Beaconsfield High School) - I wonder how they are doing now?

Great memories, Lynn Thumbs%20Up

-------------
Former Resident

Date Posted: 24 July 2008 at 3:39pm
mrs breedon, now there's someone who i remember well, i thought she was right wing unless you were one of the chosen one's
john walters, the best teacher ever, forget the boring stuff,we would end up doing other stuff like trying to make a pool table out of a old door or talking about tv.
if i hear 'morning has broken' ever again...you know where i'm coming from....

Date Posted: 25 July 2008 at 9:06am
things obviously didn't change much then lol!  I can remember her flowery flowing outfits!  quite different from the stricter approach of her predecessor!

-------------
Former Resident

Date Posted: 08 March 2009 at 10:27pm
When I was a kid I won a fancy dress prize in the Feast Day parade that started along the bottom of Gravel Hill, (where Tesco's is now), and finished up on Gold Hill Common. I was dressed as a clown and was reluctant to go up for my prize which was presented by John Laurie!
I'll dig the picture out and post it.

Posted By: schul
Date Posted: 12 March 2009 at 4:45pm
oh how good were those days i used to love feast day as it was called then 1960s it fell mostly on the 24th of june and the carnival queen would ride in the white swan with her princess on the back of a randells or dodds lorry they great daysBig%20smile

-------------
flower

Posted By: tobic
Date Posted: 14 March 2009 at 6:47am
Originally posted by Rich Kid Rich Kid wrote:

When I was a kid I won a fancy dress prize in the Feast Day parade that started along the bottom of Gravel Hill, (where Tesco's is now), and finished up on Gold Hill Common. I was dressed as a clown and was reluctant to go up for my prize which was presented by John Laurie!
I'll dig the picture out and post it.
Hurry up and post it then, RK, it may give me a clue as to who you are  ??

-------------

Condoms should be used on every conceivable occasion.

Posted By: Grovesy
Date Posted: 14 March 2009 at 11:38am
Well, you'll be glad to know that Feast Day is coming back to the common this year...June 27th

-------------
"Never doubt that a small, group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."
MARGARET MEAD

Posted By: Roy B
Date Posted: 01 July 2009 at 10:46pm
I have just opened a photo frame to scan an old photo that is inside. I was quite amazed to find a copy of the Buckinhamshire Advertiser inside as backing paper. It is dated Friday April 25 1952. It has a few stories but one of interest is a Light aeroplane crashing at Whan Cross, Chalfont St Peter (presumably now Chalfont Heights Scout Camp).

Ernest Clarke a 23 year old Gerrards Cross Porter from Chalfont St Peter is mentioned for 'borrowing a car for a ride around on his day off.'

One for Dan Webb - There is a picture of Learie Constantine and John Arlott at the Chalfont St Peter Footbal and Supporters Clubs Annual Dinner.

Quite interesting.

Roy

Posted By: girl@austenwood
Date Posted: 07 January 2010 at 6:05pm
ahh Tythe Barn. Felt sooooooo grown up belonging to a 'Youth Club' Unfortunately  ...not so 'grown up' when myself and two commrades were dismissed for letting off stink bombs. Naughty Naughty.Nuke

Date Posted: 07 January 2010 at 6:14pm
Feast day was really something in those days as was the bonfire and fireworks on Gold hill.

Posted By: oldchris
Date Posted: 07 January 2010 at 7:08pm
i used to play five a side on the concrete round the back on thursday evenings in the early 80's, more like, a kicking lumps out of each other game than football.LOL

Posted By: dot poleykett
Date Posted: 22 December 2013 at 11:02pm
I remember Guests I think there was a photo studio above it.

Posted By: Bucks Fizz
Date Posted: 28 December 2013 at 8:05am
Dan - did you write your book? Or is this thread dead now? If you are still compiling it, you might want to have a look at the 2 volumes of 'Famous and Infamous Residents of Chalfont St Peter' by local author DJ Kelly. They were on sale at our bookshop, though that has closed down now, but should be available via the internet. Included are local crooks and highwaymen and even the local convicted spy.

Kelly's new book: 'The Chalfonts & Gerrards Cross at War' is due to be published next month. This includes many folks' wartime memories and their parents' and grandparents' experiences in WW1 etc., and living memories of what life was like in our villages before, after and between the two world wars. Hopefully, it'll be on sale in GX bookshop.

Also, the local history and heritage group (The Celfunde Inheritance) holds mornings at the CSP community Library on the 1st Saturday of each month when local folks pop in to chat about their memories of the village and bring along old photos and documents to be scanned, and artefacts for discussion. The Celfunde Inheritance also publish books and articles (in Bucks Advertiser) based on folks memories. Next session at the library is on Sat 4 January 1000 am till 1pm.

Date Posted: 28 December 2013 at 4:14pm
Originally posted by CASE CASE wrote:

So was i ,75-82.

-------------
stop HS2.

Date Posted: 28 December 2013 at 5:19pm
Originally posted by oldchris oldchris wrote:

So was i ,75-82.

So you're not that old then

-------------
Hissing Sid

It's a free country, adopt whatever PC stance you want. Just don't tell me which stance I should take just because it clashes with your opinion.

Date Posted: 29 December 2013 at 3:50pm
Originally posted by hissing sid hissing sid wrote:

So was i ,75-82.

So you're not that old then
i feel it todayDead

-------------
stop HS2.

Posted By: DogChops
Date Posted: 03 January 2014 at 12:47pm
Originally posted by Bucks Fizz Bucks Fizz wrote:

... you might want to have a look at the 2 volumes of 'Famous and Infamous Residents of Chalfont St Peter' by local author DJ Kelly....

These books are on sale in the Chiltern Open Air Museum shop, although it's closed for the winter at the moment - reopens 29th March.

Date Posted: 03 January 2014 at 7:43pm
Anyone remember Eliots electrical shop we used to go there to have our batteries charged pre electricitry and does anyone remember a shop we all knew as the bomb shop?
Was the dress shop at the top of the market place called Bluebells?

Date Posted: 03 January 2014 at 9:29pm
Originally posted by dot poleykett dot poleykett wrote:

Anyone remember Eliots electrical shop we used to go there to have our batteries charged pre electricitry and does anyone remember a shop we all knew as the bomb shop?
Was the dress shop at the top of the market place called Bluebells?

Also used to take the " Accumulator's" across the road to Davis's, to be chargerd.

The " Bomb shop" was the second or third shop down from the top after "Lanes" the butcher.
Do you know, Why? It was called the "bomb Shop"

I believe "Bluebells" was between the "Bombshop" and "Hearns " the bike shop.

-------------
Hissing Sid

Posted By: Bucks Fizz
Date Posted: 04 January 2014 at 8:00am
I'm told The Bomb Shop was run by one Harry Flowers who moved here from London where his business had been bombed out - hence the name of the new shop.

Date Posted: 04 January 2014 at 12:00pm
Originally posted by Bucks Fizz Bucks Fizz wrote:

I'm told The Bomb Shop was run by one Harry Flowers who moved here from London where his business had been bombed out - hence the name of the new shop.

-------------
Hissing Sid

Date Posted: 03 April 2014 at 6:49pm
Was Lippiatts where the "Bomb Shop" used to be? Anyone remember the Milk Bar just up from the corner of Market Place & The Vale?

Date Posted: 03 April 2014 at 8:12pm
Yes, I think it was. The milk bar? Also yes. If I remember, co-op was on the corner then about 2 or 3 up from there.

-------------
Hissing Sid

Date Posted: 03 April 2014 at 8:35pm
How about the tradesmen and merchants in the village:-
Franklin coal ??
Clark's coal
Randells building materal
Heath log and Christmas trees
Welches diary
Bubbles Heath, chimney sweep & Grave digger
Busby the undertaker
Ryder's the undertaker
Husseys builder merchants
Ray Holt the sign writer
Bestway removals
Pocock, Ryder to name two of many plumbers
Redge Woods roofer

-------------
Hissing Sid

Date Posted: 04 April 2014 at 11:55am
was it george cole who worked in hearns the bike shop ?

-------------

Posted By: ArtB
Date Posted: 04 April 2014 at 8:39pm

Was Lippiatts where the "Bomb Shop" used to be? Anyone remember the Milk Bar just up from the corner of Market Place & The Vale?
Lippiatt's was between the firestation and the Lantern Stores, just on the left as you turn out of Chiltern Hill. Part of what is now a row of cottages.

Art

-------------
*** If you're not part of the solution, you may be part of the problem!

Posted By: ArtB
Date Posted: 04 April 2014 at 8:46pm

How about the tradesmen and merchants in the village:-
Franklin coal ??
Clark's coal
Randells building materal
Heath log and Christmas trees
Welches diary
Bubbles Heath, chimney sweep & Grave digger
Busby the undertaker
Ryder's the undertaker
Husseys builder merchants
Ray Holt the sign writer
Bestway removals
Pocock, Ryder to name two of many plumbers
Redge Woods roofer

A few of these were in the list in http://www.chalfontstpeter.com/forum/names-from-the-past_topic7455_page5.html" rel="nofollow - Names from the Past  some weren't so I've updated the list.

Franklin's coal I think was on the corner of Austin Wood Close, on the left as you turned in, his wife used to breed pugs.

Art

-------------
*** If you're not part of the solution, you may be part of the problem!

Date Posted: 04 April 2014 at 8:48pm
hmm, ok.
what was the name of the greengrocer? who set up in the parade of shops just above the co-op?

-------------
Hissing Sid

Date Posted: 04 April 2014 at 10:55pm

hmm, ok.
what was the name of the greengrocer? who set up in the parade of shops just above the co-op?

to answer my own question, was the name of the greengrocer "Lilliput" or "Lippert'?

-------------
Hissing Sid

Posted By: Garry
Date Posted: 05 April 2014 at 10:58am
The greengrocers name was Lippiat.

Date Posted: 05 April 2014 at 9:56pm
Remember the milk bar well. Had a juke box and pyrex cups and saucers.
Was there a milk bar at the bottom of the hill opposite where the cinema and toilets used to be ?

Date Posted: 06 April 2014 at 4:38pm
Originally posted by Steve Steve wrote:

When the Queen visited Chalfont and drove up the market place (well she actually sat in the back of the car) Pierre and I went looking around at the crowds trying to spot the security men doing there best to blend in. We spotted quite a few 

1977 I'm sure, she was here to open up the new med centre up at the NSE.

-------------
stop HS2.

Date Posted: 06 April 2014 at 4:42pm
Originally posted by big baggles big baggles wrote:

Not the real one was it...LOL

-------------
stop HS2.

Date Posted: 07 April 2014 at 3:04pm
Originally posted by big baggles big baggles wrote:

We think, maybe Sid Cole? Worked in a bike repair shop, behind Marshall's in Gerrards Cross. He had 4 daughter's and lived in the Vale.

-------------
Hissing Sid

Posted By: Sparkle
Date Posted: 07 April 2014 at 4:47pm
Was one called Susan Cole?

Date Posted: 07 April 2014 at 4:52pm
Maybe at a house called "Mostyn"

-------------
Hissing Sid

Date Posted: 07 April 2014 at 10:54pm
Heath's Stores, corner of Nicol Road & Lovel Road - I remember the son, John Heath, he went to school in High Wycombe as I did. He was a year below me, and if I remember he had a younger brother whose name I cannot recall.
Just up Nicol Road, past Heath's Stores, on the right-hand side, was a small engineering workshop long since demolished and turned into housing. It employed half-a-dozen people in its time, George House from Hillside Close, once worked there.

Anyone remember someone called Michael Ferguson who lived along the service road where Tesco's is and where John's Cafe used to be?

Didn't the people who ran John's Cafe have a shop opposite Baileys in The Phygtle, Chalfont Common before they opened the cafe?

Clarke the coal merchant had his yard next to the alley way in Field Way, going down to the Playing Fields, where he kept his coal and lorry. The yard was eventually sold and a house was built on it. On the other side of the alley way was an older house which I believe belonged to (Tommy?) Bowler who was a useful winger who played for Chalfont St Peter FC in the days when big Jack Stone was in goal.
Mr Clarke had a very attractive daughter called Josephine if I recall!

Date Posted: 07 April 2014 at 11:35pm
Are you have the name correct Michael Farquason or something similar rings a bell. But this would be in the sixties hope my mind isn't playing tricks.

Date Posted: 08 April 2014 at 12:52am
Only one shop opposite bails and that was rods AND guns.

-------------
stop HS2.

Date Posted: 08 April 2014 at 9:03am
Originally posted by dot poleykett dot poleykett wrote:

Are you have the name correct Michael Farquason or something similar rings a bell. But this would be in the sixties hope my mind isn't playing tricks.

You're right Dot, it wasn't Ferguson but more like Farquason. As I recall he lived with his mother, a nice woman. I don't really know why I remember him as I didn't actually know him.

Date Posted: 08 April 2014 at 9:11am

Only one shop opposite bails and that was rods AND guns.

I'm talking about the 1950's, it was a sweet shop cum haberdashery sort of shop. I can't remember the surname but if someone mentions it it'll ring a bell with me. I remember the lady there made square ice lollies out of blackcurrant Ribena and once you had a few sucks you were left with a block of ice! It was where my mother bought me chocolate at the end of sweet rationing in 1953.

Anyone recall a guy called Pete St Ledger? Brian Mead? Gordon Entwistle?

Date Posted: 08 April 2014 at 9:49am

Maybe at a house called "Mostyn"

thanks sid, - you confirmed something i was told some years back !-

-------------

Date Posted: 08 April 2014 at 3:17pm

[QUOTE=

Anyone recall a guy called Pete St Ledger? Brian Mead? Gordon Entwistle?

I've heard the names, but i don't remember the faces. 
Brian Mead, was he the brother to Billy?

-------------
Hissing Sid

Date Posted: 08 April 2014 at 4:41pm
I as in the same class as Brian Mead. I also remember seeing he had posted on the Friends Reunited site Old Jobs around year 1957-60 inclusive.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.06 - https://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2023 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net