Forum Description: Eating Out & What's On in Chalfont
URL: https://www.chalfontstpeter.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=1439
Printed Date: 28 March 2024 at 1:49pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.06 - https://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Mumbai spice
Posted By: Becky
Subject: Mumbai spice
Date Posted: 18 July 2005 at 2:04pm
has anyone tried the new Mumbai spice restaurant yet? (used to be streethi)

-------------
becky

Replies:
Posted By: muttley
Date Posted: 18 July 2005 at 3:12pm

no

but he dropped an invite in today for free food adressed to all of us .for the 27th july

he might regret it as there is about 20 of us

i shall post

Date Posted: 18 July 2005 at 3:43pm
He gave me one too - that's why I'm asking. You sure the food is free?
I went there once when I first moved here in November but now he does some of the cooking himself so perhaps it's better now.

-------------
becky

Date Posted: 18 July 2005 at 3:46pm

he did promise a free meal as im doing some work for him,but every time ive been down there,he says he has no lunch time chef!

Date Posted: 18 July 2005 at 4:33pm
He is the chef apparantley!

-------------
becky

Posted By: Henry
Date Posted: 27 July 2005 at 9:11am
July 27th. Anyone going to the openning night? Can't go myself so will not see you there.

-------------
Keep the green belt green

Posted By: Eddie
Date Posted: 27 July 2005 at 9:12am
no thanks 

-------------
They say Kesey's dead; But never trust a prankster;even underground.

Posted By: Helen
Date Posted: 27 July 2005 at 9:34am
Have you tried it or are you just listening to other peoples opinions, I thought you would have least formed your own opinion?

Posted By: Eddie
Date Posted: 27 July 2005 at 9:37am
I'll trust to the others Helen. There hasn't been a good word about the food there on the forum either under this owner or before

-------------
They say Kesey's dead; But never trust a prankster;even underground.

Date Posted: 27 July 2005 at 9:46am
Well if your trust in in the others why have you not come to see me for your tickets for C.O.C, Ummm i know your thinking about this one now....

Posted By: Big Dunc
Date Posted: 27 July 2005 at 9:47am
I have now eaten there twice and on both occasions the food has been very nice and the prices very reasonable.

Date Posted: 28 July 2005 at 12:08am
I went there tonight free meal and booze, very nice will go again very soon

Posted By: doonhamer
Date Posted: 01 August 2005 at 4:00pm
Myself and the better half went to the Shabbazz curry house on Saturday. Superb as ever.

Date Posted: 01 August 2005 at 7:12pm
And where might the Shabbazz be?

Posted By: RobertswoodPTA
Date Posted: 19 September 2005 at 7:38pm

I have been twice - the first time was awkward as we were the only table in there but we went on Saturday and it was full!

The food is always good and Rahman, the owner, is a really nice man. He commutes form SE London every day at the minute but has had an offer accepted on the flat above Threshers so will soon be a local!

Posted By: BuzzBunny
Date Posted: 03 October 2005 at 10:32am

I'd like to share a little story from my Saturday night.

Twice a year 12-15 lads go for a night out in the ( as was Shreethi ), Mumbai Spice. This year we booked for 8:30 on Saturday night. I will add at this point that the group was fairly sober having only really just gone out, and I was definately so, and as I will explain, 2 and a half hours later was even more sober !!

We arrived about 8:35 to find that the table for 12 was split into an 8 and a 4 with a table being used between. Noting that the people on the table between were soon to finish we agreed to leave and come back at 9pm. Luckily a local establishment was able to provide us a quick beer.

We returned at 9pm, to find the 4 people had left, but the hapless waiter had sat another couple in the seats so there was still only a 4 and an 8, with a lovely looking couple having a romantic meal between.

To avoid an issue we took a 4 and an 8 until the couple had finished, and had our Pompadoms ( 16 for the record ).

By 9:50 we were all on the same table and ready to order, but noticed that we had no drinks, so asked ( surprisingly ) for 12 beers. These duly arrived, but they were trying to pass off Kaliber to us, not so much beer as squash ( being non-alcoholic and all ). One of the party explained, a little heatidly ( it's true ) that we wanted alcohol and would not accepts Kaliber. After much discussion it was agreed that wine was not a good substitute either and the waiter decided to get some beer. You'd perhaps like to know that their stock-room for beer actually is the Off-Licence, and the waiter duly left and returned with some freshly purchased 330 ( mini ) bottles of Cobra which he served out while we continued to order.

It wasn't until he was half-way through that it was noticed that they had only served 8 of us with Cobra. So we asked him to hurry along the other 4, only to be told that they had only bought 8 bottles of Cobra as the off-license only had 8 - and didn't think it was worth telling us! Of course, the off-license was now shut so there was no beer to be had.

After much mirth and disbelief we decided to go across the road to the Tabla, where they had a table, and it turns out large bottles in ready supply of Cobra.

So I asked for the bill, saying that we would pay for the 16 pompadoms and 8 beers ( seemed only fair as we had eaten them !).

A bill of over £30 was produced and after much laughter I managed to discover that for a bottle of beer the size of a Coke can, bought from the Offy next door they wanted to charge me £3.95 per bottle! I eventually agreed to pay the 65p per pompadom and told them that I would drop off 8 bottles of beer in the morning for them.

Alas, after the rest of the party had left they decided not to charge us at all.

2 and a half hours after our original booking we all enjoyed a really top meal in the Tabla. My apologies to all those in the Mumbai Spice that had their meals disturbed by the to-ing and fro-ing and mirth from our table - I just don't think I have ever seen such bad hospitality from a restaurant, especially as we probably doubled their numbers that night!

I would add that they were most apologetic at the end and begged us to come back, will we? Would you?

Date Posted: 03 October 2005 at 12:36pm

NO

1. some of my guys have worked in the kitchen,yuk!

2. he still owes me for the work,court action is looming!

Posted By: big baggles
Date Posted: 03 October 2005 at 5:00pm

i like tabla, its good, never personally had a bad experience, i also like tripti, .......

-------------
need a stella and i need one now !

Posted By: fontie
Date Posted: 03 October 2005 at 7:11pm
Tripti...

-------------
Jingle bells....

Posted By: Anita
Date Posted: 05 October 2005 at 5:35pm

The Tripti gets my vote every time

Posted By: watsy
Date Posted: 06 October 2005 at 8:28pm
Just had another fabulous Tripti take away - just what we needed.

Posted By: BuzzBunny
Date Posted: 07 October 2005 at 1:47pm

Do the Tripti or Tabla do delivery?

Posted By: DanW
Date Posted: 07 October 2005 at 1:56pm
The Tabla do, not sure about the Tripti.

-------------
I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I'm with isn't it, and what's it seems scary and weird.

Posted By: Wendy
Date Posted: 07 October 2005 at 2:08pm
The last two meals we've had delivered from The Tabla have not been good.

Posted By: rizzo
Date Posted: 07 October 2005 at 10:48pm
Have used tripti regularly for 15 years and have NEVER had a bad meal.

Posted By: Malc London
Date Posted: 08 October 2005 at 7:44am

Our first meal at the Tripti was bland and then the others Indians opened and they seemed to have been better.

The Tabla has definately gone downhill, it would be interesting to know if the usual chef is away.

I will try the Tripti again.

Date Posted: 09 October 2005 at 10:59pm
a curry is a curry, lets take bets one at least has to go, i personally do not think the village can substain 3, maybe i am wrong

Date Posted: 10 October 2005 at 12:20pm

Had a fantastic curry delivered from the Mumbai Spice, delivered in about 15 minutes piping hot and cheaper than Tabla. (With free popadums).

No reheating required.

Date Posted: 11 October 2005 at 2:03pm

if its delivered too quick it worries me, how much is just reheated or microwaved ?- i suppose everyhwhere is the same nowadays !

-------------

Date Posted: 14 October 2005 at 1:01pm

I feel that with the Chinese(s) in the village. The chicken tastes like it has been boiled for hours and then lightly fried and they charge the earth for it.

Posted By: Fans
Date Posted: 14 October 2005 at 1:02pm
Try the beef (or thats what they call it) it tastes like has already been chewed for you!!

Date Posted: 14 October 2005 at 2:02pm
still boycotting mumbai,as he still hasnt paid his bill

Date Posted: 18 October 2005 at 3:27pm
small claims court ?

-------------

Date Posted: 18 October 2005 at 3:30pm
i do have a good debt collecter, he has 7 more days

Posted By: chris
Date Posted: 02 December 2005 at 12:50pm

had a meal last night,

jurys still out i think,not quite as good as tripti.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.06 - https://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2023 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net